Bang The Drum Slowly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bang The Drum Slowly Reviews

January 27, 2019
The best inspiring sports movie ever made!
October 8, 2016
This movie is a must for your Bucket List I saw this movie with my Dad at the theater! A MUST.
½ June 29, 2016
Bang the Drum Slowly is a terrific film. It about the friendship between a star pitcher and a half-wit catcher. Michael Moriarty and Robert De Niro give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. John D. Hancock did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Bang the Drum Slowly is a must see.
May 9, 2016
I love baseball and baseball movies and one of my favorites.
April 20, 2016
It was great as a tv show and better with the movie. Sad and timeless.
½ March 21, 2016
An Emotional drama involving a fictional Yankees team, who's catcher is dying of a terminal illness (Hodgkin's disease). His best friend (the pitcher) has secretly taken him to the Mayo clinic and attempted to conceal the illness from his family and their team for as long as possible. When he returns to play ball he seems to improve despite the illness, but for how long? Robert DeNiro plays the catcher with the illness in one of earlier screen roles and gives a terrificly dim performance along with Vincent Gardenia as the no nonsense team owner. It's one of those forgotten 70s tearjerkers that focus more on the combined relationships of a team as a unit and less about the sport of Baseball. It's satisfying melodrama.
½ January 6, 2016
I mean it's a fair effort, but it's good that De Niro found his actual strengths after Bang The Drum Slowly.
June 19, 2015
A classic tearjerker? Not so much. "Bang the Drum Slowly" is a remake of a '50s television production, and is presumably inferior to the original. Michael Moriarty gives his usual distant, blank-faced performance as a star major-league pitcher who, for no apparent reason, is best friends forever with his hick catcher who's dying of Hodgkin's Disease (Robert Deniro). Seeing the young Deniro is the best reason to watch, but his character fails to generate much affection and is saddled with a revolting wad of chewing tobacco from beginning to end. Awkwardly, the pair's team is a "fictional" franchise that wears Yankee uniforms but is called the Mammoths instead. Vincent Gardenia is typically strong as the manager, and Barbara Babcock is an interesting casting choice as the Mammoths owner (she played a different role in the '50s version). But the broad characterization of the second-string catcher (a gun-toting, singing cowboy whose rendition of "Streets of Laredo" supplies the movie's title) is ridiculous. The drippy musical score is another problem. The early '70s was full of these manipulative "disease of the week" films (blame "Love Story"), but "Brian's Song" is the only one that has aged well.
June 14, 2015
A baseball classic...this is such a great story. I love this film. De Niro and Moriarty are awesome in this film.
December 7, 2014
Pretty depressing. Like a not as good baseball version of Brians song
October 10, 2014
The relationship between Moriarty and DeNiro is underdeveloped, but they each make the most of their scenes and the pacing is on the money.
August 26, 2014
Such a 70s style movie-similar in many ways to M.A.S.H., but not as good or well written as to character development.
July 24, 2014
This is a very 70's movie, slow and very depressing. The best part is a young Robert De Niro. Maybe this is a film for baseball fans which i am not. Its a sweet movie but past its prime.
½ July 3, 2014
Everything about this movie is "okay." Nice story, good acting, heartwarming moral about the goodness in people, but I'll probably forget about this one after the next baseball movie I see. "Bang the Drum Slowly" tells the story of the New York Mammoths, a down-and-out baseball team whose catcher is bullied by his teammates and secretly suffering from Hodgkin's disease. As each member of the team learns of his plight, they begin to accept and encourage each other. This new attitude spills out onto the field and the team begins to win. Robert DeNiro plays the role of the ill, unintelligent catcher. This early role in his career thrust him into the spotlight, though his acting has come a long way since this performance. Michael Moriarty was very good as Henry Wiggins, star pitcher and DeNiro's only friend. Vincent Gardenia was nominated for Best Supporting Actor as Dutch, the coach of the ballclub, but there was really only one monologue of his that stood out to me. The plot is predictable and slow moving but creates some nice moments toward the end. "Bang the Drum Slowly" is a very vanilla film. It isn't very memorable but definitely worth a watch if you are a baseball fan.
May 24, 2014
touching, sad, and beautiful
July 24, 2013
Baseball's version of Brian's Song. Old baseball stinks. Sometimes. Found out about this movie while looking through some greatest sports movies lists for a small filler article. This one is listed a few places and seems to have its fans, but it was quite poorly rated on netflix. I should have listened to netflix.

Not the worst premise: mediocre catcher played by Robert DeNiro finds out he has Hodgkin's Disease. He and his pitcher pal keep it between them for the most part, and the pitcher puts his career at stake to make sure the catcher is taken care of for basically the final year of his life.

The problem is it's incredibly dry. I like slow and even this was too slow for me. The baseball scenes are lousy. The non-baseball scenes are maybe even worse. The big conflict is just how far the catcher can go before the manager finds out about the disease and sends him to the minors or elsewhere.

Billed as a guaranteed tear-jerker, I remain skeptical. If you can make it to the end, I just think the rest of the story is so slow and cheesy and would barely evoke any emotion. Then again, I wouldn't know. I turned it off an hour in.
½ April 23, 2013
Early De Niro--before "Mean Streets" and everything else. Such a watchable performance by a genuine, gifted artist.
April 4, 2013