Batman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Reviews

½ July 15, 2017
What is it about the late 80s and early 90s making the best live action stuff?
Why does nobody try to make costumes look like the scource material anymore, why does it have to be "My artistic vision"?
½ July 14, 2017
Not the best Batman just a ok batman how ever I did like Jack Nicholson playing joker I thought he did a good job he was funny! For Michael Keaton playing Batman well he could have done a better job, still check out this movie
½ July 14, 2017
Many works study the idea that Batman may be as crazy as the criminals he fights; this is one of the few which seems to believe it. Burton has simply warped the source material to tell his standard story of an awkward loner in a society of idiots, who expresses himself in an unusual way, but unlike Edward Scissorhands, we are got given enough reason to care about the title character. This version of Batman is not likable, sympathetic or heroic enough to really root for him. His portrayal is all over the place; sometimes he is a grim, compassionless anti-hero, other times a goofy crusader promising to fight the 'forces of evil', but mostly our 'hero' seems to wander through the film dazed and confused about who and what he is and why he does what he does. What he seems to be is self-absorbed; he puts on another persona to make himself feel good by beating up criminals. This interpretation, loose as it is, could've worked well in many ways, to humanise or demonise him; instead we are left feeling as disconnected from events in the film as the caped crusader seems to be.
Not being let in to the mind of the main character we see Batman from the point of view of two journalists. Unfortunately, we don't get a potential heroic protagonist here either; the entertaining and good-hearted one of the pair is quickly shunted aside for the one that falls for her subject and so loses any bite she had. Again the film misses a chance to make good use of this set-up to explore this potentially interesting figure from an outsider's perspective.
Nicholson's much lauded portrayal of the clown prince of crime also has interesting potential (such as how he sees himself as an artist), but most of his actions seem manufactured to expedite the story rather than being expressions of his personality and since this Batman is as equally crazy and extreme it's these plot contrivances that fuel their fight with one another rather than opposing philosophies. Of course not all films need to go into great depths and it is more than sufficient for superhero films to simply deliver fun and thrills, but while the Joker is a source of some entertainment the disconnect with the hero and his conflict with the villain means the film is almost entirely without suspense. In a movie that is only ever skin deep the aesthetics are the greatest achievement with the design of Gotham and the Elfman score allowing at least some avenue for escapism.
July 12, 2017
Tim Burton's psychologically complex portrayal of a fractured man, with a subtle but classic performance by Keaton - who had nothing prove. Jack Nicholson's doctor was iconic - as all the joker performances have been, and reflective of their zeitgeist era. Critics often underestimate what Burton's cinematic reboot of the character accomplished for comic book movies in general, not to mention the practically invented genre of the "Dark Superhero Franchise."
July 11, 2017
It's not as good as you remember. But it's fine. So that's good.
July 10, 2017
A superhero masterpiece, Tim Burton's Batman dark and operatic film is a milestone in blockbuster cinema. Keaton and Nicholson are both superb in their respective roles. Batman is a must for any fan or the caped crusader.
July 9, 2017
This is the first great super hero film. It holds up very well even approaching 30 years into the future. It also introduced the world to Batman the way he is meant to be seen: a creature of the night, fighting against dark, twisted characters.
Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson deliver flawless performances, creating the iconic Batman/Joker cinematic rivalry.
½ July 2, 2017
A very flawed but extremely entertaining and quotable timeless classic.
June 30, 2017
Overrated, but still a nice Batman movie with an iconic villian of course.
June 29, 2017
Terrible garbage. Keaton does have some gravitas as Batman but it's wasted on poor characterization and bizarre story choices. Some interesting visuals by Burton but don't look to closely, it's some of his laziest work.
June 27, 2017
B+
Very good direction from Tim Burton in his first Batman film, Batman's performances are stunning and the story is solid. Jack Nicholson plays a great Joker and Michael Keaton is a strong Batman. A great movie that is still exceptional today.
June 26, 2017
I really enjoyed a dark batman movie after the fun 1966 film. Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson are great in their roles and I really enjoyed Tim Burton's direction.

8.0/10
½ June 23, 2017
Tim Burton's astounding vision of the Dark Knight proved that superhero movies can also be dark and serious. The masterful interpretations by Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton improve even this gothic story.
½ June 20, 2017
It's a good movie, it just hasn't aged well in almost three decades since it's release.
June 19, 2017
With Phenomenal Performances From Nicholson And Keaton, Tim Burton's Batman Is A Gothic Tale Unlike No Other.
½ June 19, 2017
A great batman film! Love Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as the Joker. I also like the relationship between Batman and Vicki Vale is really well done and I like the gothic atmosphere to it, it feels like batman essentially. Highly recommend this one!
½ June 18, 2017
Still one of my favorite batman movies even after 20 years.
½ June 10, 2017
By far the best of the franchise.
June 6, 2017
A terrific turn by Jack Nicholson and a stoic Batman give a more serious start an icon in film.
June 5, 2017
This Movie Turned 25 Years Old In 2014.