Batman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Reviews

½ March 24, 2017
IŽll add half a star if someone releases a version of this movie with at least 50% less Kim Bassinger damsel in distress screaming.
March 23, 2017
dark and thrilling, two people who made each other from a long rivalry.
March 23, 2017
Dear DC Comics,

please feel no offence about my sincere message...

Tim Burton's Batman is clearly good movie without cheap 90's CGIs.
On the contrary, Batman is such a unpleasant person to be a superhero although on your website, you believes, "Batman is proof you don't need superpowers to be a superhero."
Here is my claims...
-He assaulted henchman to promote his strength to public, but asking them to return theft valuables to victims. He just seek a opportunity of violence.
-He didn't take a serious effort to prevent Jack falling into a toxic tank. He neither helped him out of it, nor told arrived police officers about critical situation about Jack.
-Using automated killing machine to explode large chemical factory without giving any evacuation time for workers on the site. The machine called Bat Mobile was intact from salvo fire of policy squad, so giving a short evacuation time is reasonable for saving precious life. This Batman made catastrophe was very shocking and traumatic for me.
-Even after having intimate relationship with a beautiful heroine, he asked her about her weight. Once she answered improper question with bemused face, he complained to her that she must be heavier than that.

So, I believe this movie is very unique superhero movie without superhero, all about villains. Movie industry is facing to severe pressure of censorship. Please, reconsider a classification of Batman to villain not supervillain because I agree with you without him having superpower. I wish I and young generation won't see Batman kick cute puppy or innocent baby in future films.

Sincerely,
Traumatic Audience
½ March 20, 2017
Pretty good overall. The Joker is creepy and Batman is a good hero. Much better than BATMAN & ROBIN. Good action movie.
March 20, 2017
'Batman Begins' has re-started what promises to be a brilliant new series (hopefully to be carried on in next years 'The Dark Knight'), that will be far superior to the films of the 90's. But this instalment from Tim Burton remains a classic, and one of the best comic book superhero films ever made along with 'Superman'. The extent to which Burton's control of this film runs, is of course open to debate due to pressures from the producers, but apart from a only a few minor slip-ups (such as The Joker turning out to be the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents and Alfred leading Vicky Vale into the 'Batcave'), this film did for Batman's portrayal on screen what Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns' did for graphic novels - giving us a dark, gritty Gotham City and a mean, moody Batman - as he should be. Nicholson was of course the perfect choice for The Joker, and Michael Keaton was the best Bruce Wayne / Batman up until Christian Bale took the role in 2005.
March 18, 2017
Wait till they get a load of me......
March 11, 2017
Batman directed by Tim burton is one of my absolute favorite comic book movies. The look of the film is beautiful with its gritty film noir imagery and beautifully designed gothic sets. The performances are excellent with the wisecracking Michael Keaton as the Caped Crusader(batman) and the sinister sly Jack Nicholson as the Clown prince of crime(The Joker) along with a great supporting class of actors like Kim Basinger, Pat Hingle, Jack Palance, etc. However, the part of the movie I think could have been done better is the story. The story doesn't seem to know where it want's to go with the characters, as first, the joker is killing mobsters, then halfway through the movie he decides he wants to poison people with laughing gas, it just seems to go all over the place. Now the story is still pretty easy to follow but I wish they would have had a more focused story. This movie has its flaws, but there are so many good aspects that will make up for the bad parts like when Alfred Lets Vickie Vale into the Batcave or when Jack Napier(Jokers real name in this film) was the one responsible for killing 8-year-old Bruce Wayne's(Batman) Parents instead of Joe Chill. Overall I enjoyed this movie lot and it gets better every time I watch it.
4/5 stars
½ March 10, 2017
Great visuals, acting and hero-villain relationship.
March 4, 2017
This was my favorite movie as a kid and is one of tim Burton's best movies but still moody
February 27, 2017
Batman (1989) C-126m. ?? D: Tim Burton. Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger, Robert Wuhl, Pat Hingle, Michael Gough, Billy Dee Williams, Jack Palance. Expensive but vacant, big-budgeted, gritty adaptation of Bob Kane and Bill Finger comics, tells drab story of troubling superhero standing up to crime and corruption in Gotham City, which spawns a homicidal mastermind known as The Joker. State-of-the-art re-creation of the comics, this looks and sounds amazing, but lacks much sympathy and closure; by the end we feel nothing. Nicholson as The Joker (whose scenes seem to repeat rather than develop) overshadow the hero, and the climatic third act goes on too long. Bravura art-direction won an Oscar. Danny Elfman composed the terrific music. Followed by three sequels, starting with BATMAN RETURNS.
February 27, 2017
One of the best Batman movie's
February 24, 2017
A great Batman movie. Keaton captures the intimidating force of the Caped Crusader in this quirky noir inspired film.
½ February 20, 2017
A very well produced and scored film that focuses on branding, consumer goods etc, features respected 70's film star Jack Nicholson as a lunatic terrorizing a city through poisoned retail goods. Film concept was created during a screen-writers strike and begun production without a finished storyline. Much of the films excitement draws from Elfmans score, which suggests far more drama and emotional power than anything found in the actual movie. Great set pieces, Burton is pretty shallow (as usual).
½ February 18, 2017
Before shared universes and huge, barely-coherent attempts at starting a shared universe, and before ultra-realism, sharing a screen with Superman, and being in Lego form, there was just Batman. We begin with extreme close-ups of the Bat logo before jumping to what I thought was the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, but it was someone else, and within the first ten minutes of Batman, we get our first proper look at Batman (Michael Keaton) and how he kicks butt, and after a story segment where reporter Alexander Knox (Robert Wuhl) meets Vicki Vale (Kim Basinger) and try to get an interview with Police Commissioner Jim Gordon (Pat Hingle), we get to see Batman as Bruce Wayne, who is really a more modest Jay Gatsby that gives back to the city. However, he has to leave a party at his own house at the same time as Commissioner Gordon, and you're all smart, so I'll let you connect the dots. They intersect at not-Ace-Chemicals where a bunch of thugs try to falsify corporate espionage, and we see the birth of the Joker (Jack Nicholson). After that, we get a tale of Batman really coming out to the public and Joker trying on his new clown shoes. It's all done well, but my only complaint is the noticeably fake special effects. I know they weren't quite there at the time, but they appear too often to be absolved. I will however, say that they do a decent job of developing the Batman-Joker dynamic in this movie in an interesting way. For reasons you might realize when you watch this (assuming you've seen the more recent Batman movies), they haven't gone back to it, but I found it a great story on its own. What helps set the mood where it's used is the music, whether it's Danny Elfman's unforgettable score or Prince and Michael Jackson's songs. There's an occasional laugh, but things stay serious, and when a laugh does come up, it's not distracting. Overall, Batman is a simple, thematic tale that's allowed to stand on its own and be the semi-realistic Batman we deserve, before he got mixed up in the more mythical elements.
February 16, 2017
A great Batman movie and is a great way to start the series
½ February 12, 2017
Forget the Dark Knight being the star of this movie. Jack Nicholson steals the show as Joker, owning every scene he's in with corny one-liners and a homicidal sense of humor. The fight scenes are choreographed well, and bring Batman's badassery to the screen with ease. The script is deplorable, but the creepy visuals and fun moments make this film a strong entry in the Batman franchise.
½ February 12, 2017
Lovely set design and costumes. And of course the music. On recent viewing, I found the rest of it not terrible, but a bit boring.
February 12, 2017
This is a great batman film. It's epic, dark, and Jack Nicholson is great as the Joker. Michael Keaton is also really good as batman.
February 7, 2017
It does the job and is far from the worst Batman but nowadays it's tacky and dated.
jamrcla
February 6, 2017
A very good Batman film, Although Michael Keaton plays Batman well he wouldn't of been my first choice back then, Jack Nicholson plays a brilliant Joker, It has too many down times and can drag but it also has some good action scenes and effects, It does have a dark tone but some unwanted silly bits ruin that tone, Apart from a surprising ending it's predictable but it's still allot of fun.