Batman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Reviews

September 17, 2017
Not the best Batman it's to old fashioned Batman played by Michael Keaton would not be my first pick to play Batman and Jack Nicholson played Joker he was not as good as Heath ledger, so there is known way Michael Keaton and jack Nicholson can you be better that's what I think. But there where some funny moments with Joker but I prefer the newer ones
½ September 11, 2017
(2.5/5) Though its flashy, Nicholson is a great Joker, Keaton is a great batman (but bland Bruce Wayne), and it has some exhilarating action sequences, this one is bogged down by a thin script that doesn't do much with its story or characters. The real champion of this film is Danny Elfman and his amazing score.
September 7, 2017
favorite batman movie of all time
September 3, 2017
Tim Burton paints a dark and grim picture of Gotham City; in direct contrast to the campy and light-heartedness of the 1960s TV series. Michael Keaton plays our Caped Crusader who is out to put a stop to the menacing Joker (Jack Nicholson). There is great action and wonderful cinematography and scoring that give us an in-depth view of the dark side of Gotham and its hero. The backstory of Bruce Wayne is highly disturbing and Nicholson's performance is so over-the-top it ingratiates itself. Kim Basinger, Billy Dee Williams, and Robert Wuhl lend noticeable support.
September 2, 2017
Batman is a very interesting Batman movie with an amazing Joker played by Jack Nicholson! Michael Keaton does a good job with the role as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Overall, Batman is a classic Batman movie to watch.
August 20, 2017
As good as any classic
August 19, 2017
It's great, and that's it.
August 14, 2017
Decent movie. Entertaining
Rating: 6.8/10
August 11, 2017
Excellent and very underrated comic book movie.
½ August 7, 2017
With a star-studded cast and Tim Burton's artistic direction, Batman is arguably the second best movie in the franchise. Michael Keaton's performance rivals Christian Bale's. Bale might be better as Batman, but Keaton is better as Bruce Wayne. Jack Nicholson delivers a performance that is not only Oscar-worthy, but is also arguably his best so far. The rest of the cast are all great, with Billy Dee Williams and Michael Gough standing out. The action is incredible, the script is intelligent and occasionally funny, and the set design is magnificent, making this one of the best superhero movies of all time.
July 26, 2017
This movie still entertains me to this day. While the story being told doesn't always flow well, the performances of Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson are as good as you could hope for. With all of the Batman movies that have been made over the years, I keep coming back to this one every so often.
½ July 15, 2017
What is it about the late 80s and early 90s making the best live action stuff?
Why does nobody try to make costumes look like the scource material anymore, why does it have to be "My artistic vision"?
½ July 14, 2017
Not the best Batman just a ok batman how ever I did like Jack Nicholson playing joker I thought he did a good job he was funny! For Michael Keaton playing Batman well he could have done a better job, still check out this movie
½ July 14, 2017
Many works study the idea that Batman may be as crazy as the criminals he fights; this is one of the few which seems to believe it. Burton has simply warped the source material to tell his standard story of an awkward loner in a society of idiots, who expresses himself in an unusual way, but unlike Edward Scissorhands, we are got given enough reason to care about the title character. This version of Batman is not likable, sympathetic or heroic enough to really root for him. His portrayal is all over the place; sometimes he is a grim, compassionless anti-hero, other times a goofy crusader promising to fight the 'forces of evil', but mostly our 'hero' seems to wander through the film dazed and confused about who and what he is and why he does what he does. What he seems to be is self-absorbed; he puts on another persona to make himself feel good by beating up criminals. This interpretation, loose as it is, could've worked well in many ways, to humanise or demonise him; instead we are left feeling as disconnected from events in the film as the caped crusader seems to be.
Not being let in to the mind of the main character we see Batman from the point of view of two journalists. Unfortunately, we don't get a potential heroic protagonist here either; the entertaining and good-hearted one of the pair is quickly shunted aside for the one that falls for her subject and so loses any bite she had. Again the film misses a chance to make good use of this set-up to explore this potentially interesting figure from an outsider's perspective.
Nicholson's much lauded portrayal of the clown prince of crime also has interesting potential (such as how he sees himself as an artist), but most of his actions seem manufactured to expedite the story rather than being expressions of his personality and since this Batman is as equally crazy and extreme it's these plot contrivances that fuel their fight with one another rather than opposing philosophies. Of course not all films need to go into great depths and it is more than sufficient for superhero films to simply deliver fun and thrills, but while the Joker is a source of some entertainment the disconnect with the hero and his conflict with the villain means the film is almost entirely without suspense. In a movie that is only ever skin deep the aesthetics are the greatest achievement with the design of Gotham and the Elfman score allowing at least some avenue for escapism.
July 12, 2017
Tim Burton's psychologically complex portrayal of a fractured man, with a subtle but classic performance by Keaton - who had nothing prove. Jack Nicholson's doctor was iconic - as all the joker performances have been, and reflective of their zeitgeist era. Critics often underestimate what Burton's cinematic reboot of the character accomplished for comic book movies in general, not to mention the practically invented genre of the "Dark Superhero Franchise."
July 11, 2017
It's not as good as you remember. But it's fine. So that's good.
July 10, 2017
A superhero masterpiece, Tim Burton's Batman dark and operatic film is a milestone in blockbuster cinema. Keaton and Nicholson are both superb in their respective roles. Batman is a must for any fan or the caped crusader.
July 9, 2017
This is the first great super hero film. It holds up very well even approaching 30 years into the future. It also introduced the world to Batman the way he is meant to be seen: a creature of the night, fighting against dark, twisted characters.
Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson deliver flawless performances, creating the iconic Batman/Joker cinematic rivalry.
½ July 2, 2017
A very flawed but extremely entertaining and quotable timeless classic.