Batman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Reviews

September 30, 2016
Batman has become a classic since its release in 1989, a staple in the superhero movie genre. It is directed by none other than Tim Burton, and stars Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, and Kim Basinger. The film follows the Caped Crusader as he battles Gotham City's first supervillain: The Joker.

Now, forget the Dark Knight being the star of the movie. Jack Nicholson steals the show as Joker, owning every scene he's in with corny one-liners and a homicidal sense of humor. Michael Keaton also does very well, not just as Batman, but as Bruce Wayne, too. Kim Basinger wasn't bad as Vicki Vale, but I didn't like how her character was screaming constantly.

Danny Elfman does a wonderful job as the composer for Batman's score. I have the soundtrack for Batman and its sequel, Batman Returns, and Elfman's music brings a dark and creepy tone to Tim Burton's already gothic atmosphere. "The Batman Theme" is one of the best pieces I've heard in a film, and one of the best main themes, too. Prince also worked on the film, and wrote/performed songs for this movie's soundtrack.

Now, this movie has many great moments. The "Axis Chemicals" shootout was fast-paced and awesome. The art museum scene, accompanied by Prince's "Partyman", is an upbeat and fun scene. And the balloon parade, also with a Prince song, "Trust", is a cool scene to watch, considering Joker's funny balloons and the entrance of the Batwing. The fight scenes are choreographed well, and bring Batman's badassery to the screen with ease. Now, let's talk about what I don't like: the script. It is not good. At all. It definitely makes for some awkwardness between the characters, and obviously, that isn't a good thing. It does have some funny quotes, though, the majority coming from the Joker. I also did not like the character of Alexander Knox. To me, he just felt like the under-appreciated, annoying guy who says crap like "Can I have a grant?" (which he actually said, by the way), and I felt as a character, he was kind of unnecessary to the story. He's not in any of the comics, so the filmmakers could've avoided him, but they added him anyway. There were some other weaker characters, but I'm not going to waste time talking about them. Overall, the movie is very good, has great characters and is a classic superhero film. But it suffers from a bad script, and some poorly done characters.
September 29, 2016
Almost perfect.

The movie is dark, some fun, has an amazing Cast, goods scenarios. Although was released in a year as 1989, had a good quality.
½ September 29, 2016
Many works study the idea that Batman may be as crazy as the criminals he fights; this is one of the few which seems to believe it. For the most part our hero seems to wander through the film dazed and confused about who and what he is and why he does what he does, only reacting to events as they happen. This version is not a Batman we should root for; he is not likable, only occasionally sympathetic and certainly not heroic. His portrayal is all over the place; sometimes he is a grim, compassionless anti-hero, other times a goofy crusader promising to fight the 'forces of evil', but there's very little indication he strives to work for the benefit of others or to make a better world, instead he is a self-absorbed loner who puts on another persona to make feel good by beating up criminals. Burton has simply told his standard story of an awkward loner in a society of idiots, who expresses himself in an unusual way, but unlike Edward Scissorhands, we are got given reason to care about the title character. This interpretation, loose as it is, could've worked well in many ways, to humanise or demonise him, or simply to explore the man; instead we are left feeling as disconnected from events in the film as Batman seems to be.
Not being let in to the mind of the main character we see Batman from the point of view of two journalists. Unfortunately, we don't get a potential heroic protagonist here either; the entertaining and good-hearted one of the pair is quickly shunted aside for the dull one that falls for and is then abused by our 'hero'. Again the film misses a chance to make good use of this set-up to explore this potentially interesting character from an outsider's perspective.
Nicholson's Joker much lauded portrayal of the clown prince of crime is really little more than channelling Caesar Romero's from the '60's, with a bit more malice behind the eyes. Again nothing wrong with that per se , but the rest of the film is so pantomime that the Joker doesn't stand out as crazy as he should. With Batman's behaviour so extreme and unheroic the Joker isn't set up as his nemesis through opposing philosophies but plot contrivances, and their confrontations are almost entirely without suspense. The aesthetics are the greatest achievement with the design of Gotham and the Elfman score allowing at least some avenue for escapism in a movie that is only ever skin deep.
½ September 26, 2016
Not the best Batman movie, but still, this movie set the standards for modern comic book films.
September 26, 2016
Michael Keaton is Batman! We're it not for him and Burton's vision then Christopher Nolans Batman may never have happened, and we would have been left with a 21st century Adam West version of Batman.
September 23, 2016
And here comes the second of the world's finest, in another terrible movie.
September 19, 2016
72% MY BUTT. THIS MOVIE SHOULD GET AT LEAST A 95%. THIS MOVIE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME!!!
September 10, 2016
It's hard to compare it to the Dark Knight but I think everyone can agree that's worth a watch. Jack is a fantastic Joker and practically takes over the movie from the subtle Keaton. I can watch Jack's performance over and over again.
September 5, 2016
Having Tim Burton help with this film was an amazing idea in regards to the entire Gothic feel of the Dark Knight, dark, twisted and somewhat comical. This film had everything you could possibly want for the late 80s and still continues to be an epic masterpiece to this day.
September 4, 2016
Clasico de Tim Burton
September 4, 2016
Tim Burton is undoubtedly a great choice for director. His vision for Gotham and its ranged cast of characters is impeccable. Nicholson's prrformance as the Joker is topped only by Ledger's magnificence, but still great in its own right.

Batman is a great time for any Batfan.

Grade: B+
½ August 31, 2016
At the time, this seemed like a dark, gritty and very modern updating of the caped crusader, but in hindsight it's very much the darker twin of Richard Donner's Superman. No, it's not perfect, but it's so much better than DC's current slate that watching it again is a reminder that Batman and the DC universe used to be fun. Watch this and 1978's Superman, and be reminded of how good these characters (and their films' production design) could be.
½ August 26, 2016
I was thinking this film was made in the 70s (or even the 60s), but it apparently approaches just under the 90s. Pretty decent though, especially considering that it's basically the first major Batman film made. Warner Bros. does it pretty well with their classic Gotham City sets and subtle animation. In ways, I would almost consider this Joker to be a bit better and more interesting than the Dark Night version. It's a bit too colorful if anything (and maybe even a tad bit cheesy), but the film does still remain to bring in the thrill that is known as the dark night himself.
August 24, 2016
This is awesome Jack Nicholson did amazing
½ August 23, 2016
Love this movie! Joker was portrayed great from the comics!
August 22, 2016
Batman is a great adaptation of the well known comic book hero. I'm not really a huge fan of Tim Burton films. I given most of his films bad reviews because I don't really like his style of filmmaking. This movie is really the only film I like of Tim Burton and his work. The film is filled with amazing visuals and great writing. The only thing I kind of don't like is Jack Nicholsion's Joker. Your probably thinking don't you like joker? Didn't you say in your Suicide Squad review that you wanted more scenes with Joker? Well that's true. I want to see Joker on the big screen but not really like this. Now I'm not saying that I hate this joker I like it but I don't love it like Jared Leto or Mark Hamil or Heath Ledger. I feel like this joker is taking inspiration from Cesar Romero from the Batman 1966 series. This joker is a little silly. I mean he has all of these crazy weapons like the his long gun or his parade float. I also thought that the scene where joker and his goons are wrecking the museum and dancing to prince music. I don't think that scene really needed to be in the final film. But besides that I still think the film is still worth watching. The action scenes are really cool. And I've got to admit that the Batmobile in this film is awesome! If you have a Netflix account you should watch it.
August 20, 2016
This movie changed my 12 year old life. It was everything that I wanted in a Batman movie and brought my hero to life right there before my little eyes.
August 17, 2016
I watched this movie countless times as a kid, and countless times as a teenager, but as a young adult in my late 20's I realized I hadn't truly seen Tim Burton's Batman (especially as a huge fan of the character and Batman comics) until I recently experienced it in a movie theater. By the end credits, I was, in a way, shocked by how much I didn't notice and understand about the film, and now having seen the movie twice in the theater, I can honestly say that I have finally seen Batman for the first time, and not only do I truly appreciate and respect it, I fucking loved it. Granted, it's definitely flawed and a little wonky in its story, plot, and third act, but Tim Burton's vision of Batman, Joker, and Gotham City are realized for the first time on film in a unique and haunting way that's both eerie and beautiful, and closer to the source material. I found myself mesmerized by Anton Furst's noirish production design of Gotham City, Batman's nightmarish costume, Jack Nicholson's transcendent performance, the timeless designed Batmobile, and of course Danny Elfman's mysterious, dark, and operatic score. These elements not only make the movie but they save it, and because so the film is more than watchable. It's entertaining, enjoyable, and holds up (for the most part) on repeated viewings throughout the years. I look forward to seeing this movie again ten years from now, and ten years after that, and so on and so forth. I give Batman an B+.
August 13, 2016
Adjusting my star rating of this one since I finally happened to revisit it for the first time since perhaps the VHS days and I can unfortunately say that I wasn't as impressed with this film this time around. What was at the time gritty and impressive now feels almost as camp at times as the '60s TV show that everyone liked to make fun of when they gave the character this 'grim' update, and I can't say if that's due to my changing tastes, or if I just couldn't see how silly this shit was when it was new to me.

Worth a rental for sure, but man, nostalgia is a bitter pill to swallow sometimes.
½ August 11, 2016
A Fine Movie With A GREAT Batman.