Beauty and the Beast Reviews

• Aug 13, 2016

Not worthy of the Musical genre. I can't imagine the singing being any worse. The few songs that were in this movie were awkward and fake. Although the message is heartwarming, this version felt cheap, corny, and amatuer.

• Jul 23, 2016

A much older version of the fairytale as we know it, relatively unknown because it has largely been overshadowed by the cash injections Disney can provide. There a few similarities between the two versions although the main focus is still upon the unlikely love story of the two title characters. In this edition, Beauty (not Belle), is part of a wealthy family for which she helps her father look after (in the absence of any mother). With little time for herself, she is needed by her two brothers and two sisters to run all the daily chores for them, similar to the Cinderella story really. One day, when poverty sets in, the father goes in search of regaining his riches only to come into contact with an immaculate castle and potential fortune. As he is caught stealing a single rose, which he intends to bring back for his daughter, the beast appears and punishes him by demanding he sacrifice one of his daughters to live with him in the castle. This is the point when the usual story takes over and the couple eventually fall in love, with the Beasts ugly spell breaking upon the admittance of true love. It's backed up by three or four tunes, none of which I previously recognised, but there is one decent one that plays over and over in ones head. This movie is hardly going to set your world on fire if you're a fan of the more famed version but it's an old school take on proceedings that hasn't done itself any injustice. It was a pleasant afternoons viewing, made slightly irritating by the Beasts constant repetition of the line 'Do you love me Beauty' every few minutes, as he tries to hurry her love for him. Other than that, can't fault it at all.

• Dec 02, 2013

It's much more faithful to the Villeneuve version, as opposed to the traditional Beaumont version of the fairy tale, which has to be appreciated, but it does give in to conventions here and there.

• Jul 16, 2013

this was by far my favorite movie as a child.

this was by far my favorite movie as a child.

• Mar 03, 2012

I liked the movie Beauty and the Beast. It was a good show.

I liked the movie Beauty and the Beast. It was a good show.

• Nov 28, 2011

kinda creepy 2 watch @ 2 in the morning on New years eve, but it was ok

kinda creepy 2 watch @ 2 in the morning on New years eve, but it was ok

• Oct 11, 2011

An engaging tale full of wonder and mystery. I found myself lost in the magical journey.

• Jul 06, 2011

It was cute, very 80's. I was amazed at how young Rebecca Demornay is in it. Its a musical but musicals don't do it for me anymore.

• Jul 03, 2011