The Best Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Best Man Reviews

October 21, 2008
Liberal = communist, communist = gay. Of course. The Best Man is relatively entertaining and even more entertainingly relevant. Henry Fonda yet again plays a political candidate. Edie Adams is a total babe.
October 13, 2008
Very scarily relevant to 2008. Surprising how the liberal word even then was thrown out as a racial slur. Cliff Robertson acted great!
September 7, 2008
See what happens when Cliff Robertson's character wins by watching its sequel: Escape from LA starring Cliff Robertson.
½ August 21, 2008
This is one you should watch before the conventions. It seems dated: a womanizer running for President. Swiftboating. My favorite is when the former pres asks Russell (Henry Fonda) about believing in God, Russell makes a point that he's never mentioned God in a speech. The former pres replies "In [my] days we had to pour God over everything like ketchup."

The more things change, the more they remain the same.
July 20, 2008
Great political film that really translates into politics today. Its about 2 men running for the president, Fonda is a rich intellectual who uses reason to get ahead. Robertson is a brute who uses fear and threats to get ahead. It's pretty much Bush vs Kerry. The acting is great and Gore Vidal's script is flawless and Wexler's cinematography is stunning as usual.
½ July 13, 2008
A pleasant surprise. Two great lead performances. Henry Fonda is pretty damn funny as well as portraying the kind of candidate a lot of us would vote for. Shelley Berman gives a great Jack Lemmon-esque performance. If you're looking for something classic that will keep you interested, check it out. Some of Cliff Robertson's dialogue, with his wife especially is kinda corny, but overall, quite entertaining.
½ July 1, 2008
A timely film for 2008 and one of the most intelligent political movies ever made.
½ June 30, 2008
A movie where the label 'liberal' is worn with pride. Written by Gore Vidal, it is a story about a political convention where the nominee will be determined by ballot. Made me really miss the old conventions when anything could happen.
½ June 30, 2008
Watch this before the upcoming conventions for great perspective on DC political types. Excellent excellent entertainment from Gore Vidal. The main viable candidate characters are basically Adlai Stevenson and Richard Nixon types.
June 29, 2008
Cliff Robertson and Henry Fonda play two candidates fighting for their party's nomination.

Fonda is fantastic as always, Robertson comes off as very unlikable which I think was their intention anyway.

Either way, it's a great underrated movie.
June 22, 2008
As seen by the recurring bits in the Annals of American Empire, Gore Vidal does political conventions better than anyone in American letters. The Stevenson-esque Fonda squares off against the Kennedy-McCarthy hybrid played by Robertson. gorgeously shot with the behind the facade, bare-knuckled political talk redolent of Vidal.
½ March 24, 2008
Tremendous performances are matched by Haskell Wexler's photography. Great film, especially for Shaffner!
½ February 12, 2008
This is one of the most underated Henry Fonda films. Also one of the best political films I have seen. If you enjoy smart political films. You should check this out. Written by Gore Vidal, it still resonates today. The election-year backbiting and smear campaigns at the film's core will be as familiar to people today as it was when it came out.
December 9, 2007
Top-notch acting combined with excellent dialog make for a great political film. Watch this movie to see the difference between Hollywood films then and now.
½ December 4, 2007
This movie adaptation of Gore Vidal's stage play is one of the best films ever made about American politics ("The Candidate" is also excellent). Too bad it's yet to be issued on DVD. TCM plays it on occasion, especially near Presidential election time.
October 27, 2007
Good political theater.
½ October 21, 2007
Liked it even though I couldn't get over the fact that the President walks around freely without a secret service person in sight! (and this is a post-JFK production proven by the addition of LBJ in the opening titles sequence).
½ October 6, 2007
I like Henry Fonda, so this movie was up my alley.
William Russell is a very cool character, and a man of noble qualities we all like to think we would like to have. Joe Caldwell, not so much. I wouldn't vote for any man who refers to himself as "Papa Bear" to his wife.
Very good political commentary by Gore Vidal. There are a lot of incisive quotes. Good stuff, still relevant for today, more or less. Though the smear issues are a little dated, the general issues easily apply today--same ol' dirty game of politics, different era.
½ October 4, 2007
I love politically themed movies, especially American ones, and this one still holds up. Not a film of enormous complexity and there are a couple of pseudo-expressionist moments that provoke a giggle, but all in all an incisive and witty portrait of American politics circa 1960 - 1964 that still resonates. Excellent script by Gore Vidal.