Betrayed Reviews

• Apr 24, 2017

I just now saw 'Betrayed' on TV and thought it was very good. I disagree with Rotten Tomatoes this time.

• Apr 23, 2017

Most reviewers seem to miss the point of this movie. The implication is that Debra Winger's character, Cathy, is an orphan, or at the very least, is someone who did not have much of a childhood, and craves love and affection. When she encounters Tom Berenger's character, Gary, and his children, she is drawn to the family life from which she had been deprived. Plot twists aside, the "message" of the film is that politicians and the political system continue to be corrupted by money and the desire for power, and that the only way that racism can be stopped is by passing down values of tolerance and acceptance, as the Cathy character tries to do with Gary's children. With regard to the whole point of the film, the scenes involving Cathy and Gary seem to be an attempt to create a "love story" narrative that presumably keeps female viewers interested in the proceedings. However, as seen through the eyes of Gary's children -- and through Cathy's eyes as a grown-up -- we begin to see that morality and racism are not legislated; they are taught by adults and learned by children. THAT is the message of the film.

• Apr 15, 2015

To build Winger's character as intelligent and perceptive then flush that as she falls for Berenger's racist ruins an otherwise good thriller.

• Feb 24, 2015

I love Costa Gavras and Tom Berenger and John Heard including the farm and horses.

• Apr 29, 2014

It try's to make it look as suspenseful as possible, but just fails

It try's to make it look as suspenseful as possible, but just fails

• Nov 03, 2013

The story is scary enough in itself, but Berenger is scary as heck as white supremacist and Winger does one of her best roles. 25 years later, it's withstood the test of time and is still a great movie.

• May 25, 2013

Great cat and mouse tropes but the bewildering 80s logic will give the mind a real workout. So many questions...

• Jan 27, 2013

ZOG stands for Zionist Occupation Government. Scary movie about modern Americans who are white supremacist and members of the KKK embracing the Nazi ideology and making their lives' ultimate goal to rid USA of 'Kites, Niggers and Orientals' from USA and restore it to Aryan race. A young Tom Berenger and a beautiful Debra Winger made a handsome couple. Love got in the way of their official duties and entrusted responsibilities. This is highly believable for those of us who have experienced true love.

• Dec 08, 2012

The most over-the-top, ridiculous, piece of stereotyping I've ever seen. For someone who was born & raised in the South this is so silly and no one here would even think of such nonsense. Are their Klansmen? Fewer than gang members. Do people distrust the government? Yes, most people do to a degree. Especially in this day. The movie takes the most ridiculous notion and tries to make it believable, like "hunting blacks". In the 1980's? Gimme a break! Teaching your children about silly notions as "Zog" and so forth is so silly and laughable it's sickening. People here don't talk like this and sure as hell don't act this way. It's easy to use the South as some hickville, backwoods, stereotypical place to imagine "hunting blacks" but we now know most crime involving blacks is black-on-black crime. Don't waste your time on this one...

• Nov 22, 2012

Really a good movie & I never heard of it till now(11/22/12). I wish they made more movies like this than just making gang films. Nola 1-2...