The Big Brawl (Battle Creek Brawl) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Brawl (Battle Creek Brawl) Reviews

½ December 18, 2015
Review:
This movie was a big deal when it was released during the 80's, because it was one of the first Western movies starring Jackie Chan, which were fully English. The main problem that I found with the film is that the action scenes are pretty poor, which is surprising for a Chan movie, and the storyline wasn't that great. Jackie Chan plays Jerry Kwan whose father is being bullied by the local gangsters because he won't pay them protection money for his restaurant. When Jerry bumps into the gangsters while they are leaving his father's place, he uses his Kung Fu skills to fight them off and he warns them not to come back again. The mobsters then tell the head boss, Dominici (Jose Ferrer), about his Kung Fu skills and he decides to use him for the Battle Creek Brawl competition, we're various fighters come together to battle for a cash price. As Jerry is reluctant to fight in the competition, Dominici kidnaps his brothers fiance, who has just arrived from Hong Kong. After some training with his uncle Herbert (Mako), he enters the competition to fight for her release. There are some other elements to the storyline but I don't want to spoil it for those people who haven't watched it before. Like many Chan movies, there is a lot of weak comedy throughout the movie, especially during the fighting scenes, so I was quite put off from the beginning. I also was expecting a big showdown at the end but it turned out to be a bunch of heavyweight men, wrestling with each other. Chan looked tiny compared to his opponents and the silly Kung Fu moves that he used against them, was pretty poor. The acting wasn't bad and I liked the chemistry between Chan and Mako but the film looked extremely dated and the comedy was just not that funny. Average!

Round-Up:
This movie was written and directed by Robert Clouse, who brought you Enter The Dragon, Black Belt Jones, Game Of Death, China O'Brien I & II and Ironheart. He sadly died of kidney failure in 1997, at the age of 68 but he firmly put his stamp in cinema with the movies that he made with Bruce Lee. I don't think that this movie was in the same ball park as Enter The Dragon or Game Of Death but he can honestly say that he had a hand in bringing Chan to a Western market before he died.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $8.5million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/martial arts/crime/comedies starring Jackie Chan, Jose Ferrer, Kristine DeBell, David Sheiner, Mako and Larry Drake. 3/10
½ June 3, 2015
You combine Jackie Chan and involving Mafia syndicate. Now we have this film. More like a low budget classic action flick but as soon as you see Chan's inevitable performance. It is well worth watching. One of the first Chan's western films. 3.5 out of 5.
½ December 7, 2014
September 10, 2013
I own this on DVD in a seven movie set along with:
* Shaolin Wooden Men (1976)
* The Fearless Hyena (1979)
* The Young Master (1980)
* Dragon Lord (1982)
* Project A (1983)
* Project A Part II (1987)
May 5, 2013
The Big Brawl directed by Robert Clouse (Enter The Dragon - Bruce Lee). Starring Jackie Chan. This film was an struggle by the director Clouse to be realized after the death of Bruce Lee to introduce to American audience with same kind of potential-star. This is the first American-entry for Jackie Chan movies. The Big Brawl is set in 193s mobster world of Chicago, which should pretty much explain itself, very discouraging film that Jackie was forced to do in his early-career. My reservations with the film were mainly aimed at it's ill-plot and setting in mobster-world.
½ December 11, 2012
Fun, well done but predictable, easy-to-watch Jackie Chan -film
½ March 2, 2012
More of Jackie Chan's original stunts. If only Parkour went as far to deep down in Australia.
October 19, 2011
an enjoyable enough jackie chan movie, and his first to be shot in english
October 15, 2011
If your a huge Jackie Chan fan this is a must see being his first English speaking roll. His action scenes still hold up but the acting and all other action are very B rated. Skip it.
September 21, 2011
An awesome action flick from my point of view...My first look at Jackie Chan and he did good."
½ June 28, 2011
Not his best, but still enjoyable. And his girlfriend was cute as hell.
April 18, 2011
An attempt for Chan to go into Hollywood. Still a fun film to watch with Chan's martial arts and stunts with an ordinary story.
September 23, 2010
2 stars for Mr. Chan's nice fight scenes and 1 stars for movie. See it IF you're hard-core Chan fan.
August 24, 2010
Tuesday, August 24, 2010

(1980) The Big Brawl
ACTION/ COMEDY

Jackie Chan's first attempt to jump start his film career in the US as well as his first English speaking film which has a great beginning which cannot be said the same for the rest of the way especially the end. Somewhere on the beginning showcases some of Jackie's acrobats involving tennis balls which was an absolute delight but the final fight could've been better had Jackie had more creative control but slightly better than average overall!

3 out of 4
½ June 22, 2010
My Favorite Jackie Chan movie
½ March 8, 2010
A Classic! It's a Bruce Lee's type of movie but it's a unique Jackie Chan movie with his own style. The first major Hollywood film of Jackie Chan. It's also directed by Enter The Dragon director. It's an American style movie with connection with classic Mafia. It also stars classic actors as well.
February 8, 2010
Horrible film. A watered down Jackie Chan coupled with the expected bad ideas/bad direction from Robert Clouse (him to be considered at one point an expert in martial arts films is beyond me). Utter disaster.
December 18, 2009
JC's first English movie. Quite decent. You can clearly see the difference between the movies he produces himself in HK and what Hollywood has to offer. It's a no contest which one I prefer.
October 31, 2009
I use to have this on VHS when I live on the Res. I must've watched it a hundred times. Still love it.
½ September 27, 2009
A peppy musical score by Lalo Schfirin and directed by Robert Clouse, the director of Enter the Dragon. All this comes together in Jackie Chan's first American film and debut, which is pretty good and full of action. Not one of his best, but lots of fun.