The Big Heat Reviews

• Sep 05, 2020

One of the quintessential noir films of its time, embracing all the archetypical elements of the genre.

• Jul 06, 2020

FRITZ LANG! directed, in 55! LEE MARVIN. GLORIA GRAHAM. Never saw before the MOVIE Chanel7=5=2020

• Jun 20, 2020

Weak story made watchable by a young cool Lee Marvin and the always wonderful Gloria Grahame.

• Jun 18, 2020

I say to this film: "It's not you, it's me." It seemed like the perfect combination, since I love film noir and I've liked all of Fritz Lang's films. But I wasn't in the right mood for this. Clearly it's well-made, and the shadowy lighting is exceptional. But feeling as bad as I do lately about the state of the world, I just had a hard time sitting through a film as seething and cruel as this one.

• May 14, 2020

The strength of Lang's direction and the darkness of the screenplay define the tension that grows all over the film. Grahame and Ford at their best. A highly recommended film-noir picture.

• Feb 04, 2020

The single best film noir movie I've ever seen. Glenn Ford was never so incredible as in this fantastic movie. Absolutely THRILLING movie!

• Aug 24, 2019

This is a gem from the past that I had never seen before, but I'm so glad the opportunity came. It is a great film: taut, intense, complex, thought-provoking, a visual joy, and with great performances. As good as a noir cop thriller can be.

• Jul 02, 2019

One of the worst noir films we've ever seen: implausible, unnuanced, and poorly acted. ALL the cops except Bannion are both evil and cowardly. Little opportunity for Gloria Grahame to show how good she is.

• Jun 21, 2019

See it for Gloria Grahame.

See it for Gloria Grahame.

• Sep 22, 2018

A classic complex noir from Fritz Lang, possibly his best film made on the American soil.