Bitter Sweet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bitter Sweet Reviews

April 3, 2015
Even though Noel Coward claimed to have cried from despair after seeing it, this is one of the better MacDonald-Eddy operettas; the two singers are in fine form singing "I'll See You Again" and the MGM Technicolor production is lovely to look at.
March 15, 2014
When did Hollywood come up with the tired old idea that the ideal girl is supposed to be an insufferable irritant who impetuously acts out on pure emotion & has no sense of priority? Gay. Very gay.

Also, why is it treating grand theft so lightly? I would seek life imprisonment for morons who sold my possessions.

Anyway, a fairly dreadful story. Sanders is pure evil. One of the worst villains I can recall. If only the film quality didn't reflect his character. Good chemistry & sets are admirable traits, but don't ultimately save it.
½ June 17, 2013
Made at the height of their popularity, this charming Nelson Eddy-Jeanette MacDonald operetta was nominated for two Oscars, cinematography and Art Direction.
½ September 6, 2012
Turn of the century piece about a song student, Sarah Millick, MacDonald, who falls for her teacher, Carl Linden, Eddy. They move to Vienna, struggle at first to become singers playing on the street until they are heard outside of a gambling house by Baron Von Tranisch, George Sanders. Carl writes Sarah an opera which is not produced until after Carl is killed by the Baron. The opera is a success but it is "bitter sweet" for Sarah. The opera stage productions are extravagant and dazzling. While the movie serves as not much more than a vehicle for the songs it is still worth a watch.
November 10, 2008
Some good humor, but not as good as Naughty Marietta. The character parts kept me from turning it off.