Black Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Christmas Reviews

December 12, 2017
Horrifying slasher. Sound design is amazing and the cop from Halloween is in here being stupid again.
December 9, 2017
I'm normally not a fan of the Christmas horror movies. It just feels wrong to put such a dark spin on the holiday. But as a slasher film fan I felt obligated to watch what is considered by many to be the first true slasher film, and I actually found myself really enjoying it. The whole Christmas aspect is actually pretty underplayed. It's the setting, and provides a cold environment and some nice visuals, but it's not in your face. This isn't a movie where the killer where's a Santa costume and judges who's been naughty. In fact we actually never get a good look at the killer, and his back story is mostly left to our own interpretation based on little hints sprinkled throughout. That's actually really cool. The film is creepy and atmospheric, and does a really good job utilizing the cliches it probably invented (like the subjective camera), and it ends on an ominous note that's really unsettling. It's funny because I hated Bob Clark's other Christmas movie, A Christmas Story. I found it weird, creepy, and just mean-spirited. In a slasher film though, that tone kind of works, and I enjoyed Black Christmas a lot more than I expected to.
October 31, 2017
Classic slasher that started it all
½ October 29, 2017
2.5/5. For a slasher movie, Black Christmas sure doesn't have very memorable kills. That said, the film is actually pretty funny and very progressive for its time in terms of the lead character, who is pretty likable. Black Christmas also has one terrifying sequence near the end, but for the most part, it's a fairly boring slasher film that only die-hard slasher fans should watch.
September 11, 2017
Chilling and frightening thanksgiving to Bob Clark's direction, as well as 'Kidder' and 'Hussey''s performances.
August 28, 2017
The horror film is unique and suspenseful
July 11, 2017
A cult classic that is great to watch around the holidays, reminding me of other films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho. Highly recommended
½ June 29, 2017
THE FIRST CANADIAN SLASHER MOVIE!!!! made in 1974!
90% of this film is PERFECTION with suspence HUMOUR that WORKS!!! Canadian actors ecept for the awesome John Saxon!, and the guy from 2001 a space oddessey!!! it deserves alot better the 64%? MORE LIKE 95%, only reason i dont give this 100% is because the LAST 10 Minutes REALY DOSENT MAKE ALOT OF SENCE DIRECTING WISE!!!! watch the movie and you"ll get my meaning, but one of the most PERFECT slasher horror movies EVER MADE!!!
½ June 28, 2017
Some occasional scary moments, but is overall boring, slow, and painfully one dimensional.
June 10, 2017
Tense, creepy, and anxiety-inducing. Instead of comfort and joy, Christmas season of '74 brought bloodshed and misery to a group of sorority sisters during their winter break. Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, and Andrea Martin lead a cast of likable characters whose lives are thrown into chaos when one of their own goes missing. All while a mysterious stranger keeps making obscene and threatening phone calls. For many horror movies, especially slashers, not a lot of effort is put into making us care about the victims. 'Black Christmas' is different. These are all troubled young women who we can sympathize with. The deaths are painful to watch as we've come to care about them enough to want them to survive. The killer, "Billy", is easily one of the creepiest slasher villains in horror history. His ability to change his voice to be like a baby crying, a hysterical woman, a squealing pig, and other various disturbing sounds may at first seem random. But if you listen carefully you can catch bits of information regarding his past. 'Black Christmas' is an underrated masterpiece in horror which I highly recommend.
June 6, 2017
I was very pleased to give this a spin in the newly released Scream Factory Blu-ray, which looks to be a major upgrade from the older Blu release.

The film is as great as ever, with the balance between humor and the creepiness of the stranger lurking in the house working very well. Your cast of sorority girls are all easily identifiable in what have now become standard stereotypes, and it builds to some nice reveals in the final act.

Recommended.
April 27, 2017
One of my favourites
March 20, 2017
Vulgar for its time and a little creepy. Black Christmas turns the happiness of the holidays into a deadly scheme.
½ February 28, 2017
An under-appreciated slasher classic.
January 15, 2017
Interesting in its characterization...usually these are all just hack-and-slash tripe, but this one *is* trying to be more than that. The women are all pretty good, with the material they are provided.
January 2, 2017
Seeing as it laid the foundation for many of my favorite horror flicks and directors, I had to give somewhat of a good rating. But, honestly, I was bored for most of it, and not because I'm young and used to more extreme forms of horror. The pacing is way off and many scenes for the first half of the movie are unnecessarily long and redundant. They add nothing to the story. The main protagonist (Jess) is not believable or likable. I did not find this movie funny or scary (except the FE phone exchange... that was pretty good), which may actually be a generational gap issue. One redeming quality is the camera work. It showcases classic horror shots, clearly serving as an inspiration to Carpenter. Any of the suspensegenerated in this film comes from the camera work, not the acting, voiceovers, script, or gags.
December 25, 2016
This is both a true Christmas classic and a Canadian classic. It's a must watch at this time of year. It's still surprisingly effective.
½ December 18, 2016
Untraditional horror movie. Medium + in seriously and a little dirty.
½ December 17, 2016
Kinda has a non-ending, but it's a pretty good, weird-ish thriller with a good cast.
½ December 15, 2016
In general I consider myself a hater of horror movies. However, there are a couple of genres of horror films that tend to work better for me than others, and those are mysteries and thrillers. Black Christmas has some elements of both of those genres. The inventive use of the handheld camera as the point-of-view for the killer worked brilliantly for creating tension, and allowed them to fool you at times that the killer might be watching when he actually wasn't. I found the movie progressively more tense, and even though many of the things found in this film have become tropes of the genre, they still work well here. I like that it takes some time before we nail down which of the girls will be the "final girl," and that there are a lot of male suspects introduced that allow us to speculate about the identity of the killer. The ending was what I expected in one way, but then completely surprised me in another way (which I won't spoil.) I have to admit, even though I like how the film is constructed and respect the groundbreaking techniques, it's still not a style of movie that I will ever love. For big fans of horror, I think Black Christmas should almost be required viewing, because of how it inspired so much that came after it. For those who don't like horror, you might still enjoy it (because there's very little gore,) but it delivers some effective scares.