Black Widow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Widow Reviews

½ July 24, 2016
Federal agent obsessively pursues a young woman who marries and cleverly kills a string of wealthy husbands. Not bad but fairly routine.
April 9, 2015
The actresses are fine the script sux arse.
½ March 30, 2015
Debra Winger is one of our finest actresses, and here she plays a deadly game of mental chess with Theresa Russell. Perfect for a rainy day.
November 18, 2013
Worth it to see Debra Winger facing off with Theresa Russell, though they never quite make the expected fireworks. They do have terrific chemistry though.
November 4, 2013
This is a rather ordinary mystery/potboiler in which a game of cat-and-mouse is played between two women. I said it's ordinary because there really isn't much to distinguish it from other similar movies except that the two leads are women. The acting is serviceable, and no one really gives a breakout performance. The film's greatest weakness is probably in the writing. The film starts out strong, but it's as if the writers ran out of ideas when it came to the final act. The pacing slows down a lot (and wasn't even perfect to begin with, given all of the time lapses) and the story begins to focus on a love triangle that really isn't compelling at all. Some lesbian/homoerotic tension is hinted at and, as if to give the perverts in the audience something to guffaw at, culminates in one of the quickest and most awkward kisses I've ever seen. They also don't treat the women in the film very kindly either, particularly the two leads. The only type of independent women they have are either manipulative bitches or hard-working women without much time for romantic endeavors, and both of them are presented as sex objects throughout the entire running time. Debra Winger's character is of the second type and is constantly subjected to crude comments and unwanted sexual advances, while Theresa Russell is the other type, who sees marriage as the pinnacle of her life even if she uses it to her own nefarious purpose. There are some glorified cameos by Dennis Hopper and Nicol Williamson which are entertaining. It's too bad that they weren't in the film more, but they do elevate the material somewhat in their limited screen time. Overall, I'd say this is about two thirds of a decent movie, despite the implausibility of it all.
October 7, 2013
Awesome! And awesomely bad.
September 20, 2013
Yes, we all know that the title gives us the idea that this movie will be predictable, but it's actually not! Instead of the usual Private Eye man on the case who falls in love with the lady, we get a female agent who is just as crafty as the black widow is. This is a very different and very cool thriller, and I recommend it.
½ September 15, 2013
It's still a good movie. The ending is poetic.
½ September 8, 2013
My first fundamental problem with Black Widow, was how fast Alex caught on. It completely messed up the concept of rising action, and the whole film was a long down hill slope of falling action. The film looks a feels dated. The opening scene with the main actress applying make up and looking at through a mirror, impressed me with its camera angle, but after that they stopped trying. The actresses were acclaimed in this, but I felt they played cheesy. There are a handful of sexy scenes though. While this might not be predictable, it's certainly not shocking, mainly because it lost me half way in. Just skip forward a decade and watch Basic Instinct instead.
½ August 1, 2013
Transparent although I didn't see the end coming. So so acting. Okay when nothing else going on.
June 13, 2013
A good movie on a rainy day.
March 21, 2013
CAMPY CLASSIC! This movie is straight high camp, but put together
exceedingly well. Ridiculous? Yes! Over-acted? Yes!
Eyes-glued-to-the-screen good? Yes! Keep in mind that in addition to
directing such dramatic works such as Blood & Wine, Bob Rafelson also
directed The Monkees, so you already know this is someone who
appreciates tongue-in-cheek!

Just imagine....Debra Winger as a frumpy/unattractive closet lesbian
lusting after the object of her obsession....a devastating Theresa
Russell at the pinnacle of her sultry exquisiteness. Think Jane Seymour
in East of Eden, or Lena Olin in Romeo is Bleeding and you get the
picture. Don't expect high-brow storyline here, just sheer fun!
January 27, 2013
Black Widow is an engaging and mesmerizing psychological thriller.
½ September 16, 2012
A chick flick for sure and a terrible movie by any standards BUT I love Debra Winger's transformation from frumpy FBI agent to sexy sleuth and I love watching the b*tch Therese Russell get what's coming to her.
May 20, 2012
Very good Mystery/Thriller. Winger and Russell are amazing, just wished the story didn't burn out at the end. It was like Mr. Bass just got tired and just stuck an ending that did not make much sense.
½ April 30, 2012
With the exception of the disappointing crime-doesn't-pay ending, this was a fascinating and smart thriller. Debra Winger is excellent as the frumpy FBI agent, but Theresa Russell, a good actress who's often saddled with not so good of roles, really steals the show here.
½ April 13, 2012
This precursor to films like Basic Instinct and Body of Evidence isn't nearly as attractive as any of them.
January 25, 2012
There's a lot to like about the first half of "Black Widow", from the intriguing plot full of possibilities to the strong lead performances. Debra Winger chooses her roles carefully, and it's easy to see why she was attracted to this smartly written character here and her performance is compelling.
I was hooked by the police procedural, and intrigued by the Theresa Russell character because we know so little about her. Director Bob Rafelson has never done a film quite like this one before and there are some great, unique shots in the beginning that give this thriller a fresh look. Then, at the midway point, the two women meet and the picture becomes much more conventional and ordinary.
The focus comes off Winger, who disappointingly goes from smart and strong to lovesick and boring, and shifts to Russell. She really takes command of the screen, and it's sad to think that her career never really took off after this. The cat-and-mouse elements of the set-up that I enjoyed so much are replaced by more commonplace scenes like the diving sequence where the Justice Department investigator runs out of oxygen. And Winger's smart, independent character falls for the dullest hotel magnate in the country, in the process becoming a lot less interesting. She feels like a different person in the film's third act.
There are a number of good supporting performances, most notably James Hong and an all-too-brief appearance of Dennis Hopper as one of the victims. "Black Widow" has a lot going for it but it looses its way, possibly the result of a studio executive who wanted to to be more commercial. What a shame.
½ December 16, 2011
Starts off good but runs low on steam halfway. Theresa Russell is flawless. Wondergirl Debra Winger leaves a little to be desired.
½ December 13, 2011
A good noir feel with great camera work, sharp dialogue, energetic supporting cast , and pretty ok lead performances (that femme fatale whom I've seen in maybe one other movie kind of sucks, and I wish they could've splurged for Kathleen Turner or somebody who could act a little better).
The pacing slows way down in the Hawaii section when the two ladies share a man and skulk around trying to outsmart each other in gorgeous locations. I'm wondering if this man-sharing is some kind of surrogate lesbian encounter? Regular old jealousy alpha-girl power struggle? All part of the black widow's plan? Regardless, it was slow and kind of boring in that section any way you slice it.
And then you've got the ending, which isn't too unsatisfying, only a little contrived. They couldn't very well let Debra Winger rot in jail for a crime she didn't commit, but I wish they could've let the black widow go and not had Debra Winger in jail so they could've had more cat and mouse later, ideally in a crappy '90s made-for-tv sequel starring different actresses--perhaps Valerie Bertinelli and Gail O'Grady. Oh yes! I wish that existed so much!