Blackmail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blackmail Reviews

September 25, 2013
A beautiful blonde is involved in a murder when she is trying to escape from being raped. His boyfriend detective knows the truth and tries his best to cover with it, only being blackmailed by an avaricious meddler. Despite enough suspense created, the film is not very enjoyable.
September 2, 2013
Worth watching just to see Hitchcock's first talkie and an early cameo. I found it interesting throughout but didn't care so much for the end which came rather abruptly.
July 12, 2013
My Favorite Suspense Film Is 1991's The Silence Of The Lambs.
May 29, 2013
Hitchcock is starting to get into his style here, but the film is still not up to par with his later works.
½ April 12, 2013
It would take more than a man to frighten me.

A woman accompanied by a man she believes is her friend is surprisingly attacked by her companion. She accidentally kills him during the scuffle and tries to make the murder look like a suicide. It is quite apparent to the investigator that it is a murder and he quickly identifies a former convict as a likely suspect. Meanwhile, a local man tries to blackmail the female because he saw her with her victim. Can the girl let the convict take the fall for her crime and how will she deflect the blackmailer?

"I said I'd see you home and I will."

Alfred Hitchcock, director of Rope, North by Northwest, Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Birds, Shadow of a Doubt, and Dial M for Murder, delivers Blackmail. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and contains an amazing main character and suspenseful sub plots. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Anny Ondra, Sara Allgood, Charles Paton, and John Longden.

"Are you frightened?"
"Of course not."

I came across this film on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and was surprised to find an Alfred Hitchcock film I had never seen (I have seen almost all of his pictures). This movie was so cool because Hitchcock filmed this as a silent film and a movie with voices because he knew the days of silent pictures was coming to an end. I thought this was so interesting and brilliantly written. I strongly recommend seeing this picture.

"Did she tell you who did it?"
"Yes."

Grade: B+/A- (8.5)
April 3, 2013
If memory serves, this is the first British produced sound flick; and the script and cinematography were years ahead of their time too. Hitchcock crafted a film which showcased his innovation with all aspects of film making. Good acting too.
February 10, 2013
Starts off a bit slow, but gets better as it moves along. There are some interesting twists in the story, along with some legitimate and ironically fitting humor, building up to a rather strong ending. The story seems a bit absurd to a modern viewer in one regard, but I know nothing about the legal system of Britain almost 100 years ago. All things considered, I liked it.
½ January 28, 2013
Excellent early Hitchcock in his classic trademark style.
½ January 21, 2013
Definitely a novelty at the time being the first British talkie, Blackmail doesn't really do much for the audience in terms of a truly compelling story or characters except for some typical Hitchcock psychology with the female lead and some good cinematography. Really when it comes down to it this film was meant to show off talking pictures and doesn't stand the test of time all too well
½ December 30, 2012
Excellent film for the time.
December 23, 2012
A little hard to understand at first because of the sound quality, but worth the effort.
November 21, 2012
Average Hitchcock film that has a few good tense moments, but tends to drag, especially in the middle.
October 27, 2012
Alfred Hitchcock was a masterful, artistic, unique director. If a talkie from 1929 is still eagerly watched by millions, and is 89%, I'll give it a shot.
½ September 30, 2012
Hitchock's indisputably great transition between the silent and the sound eras, with this rather silly murder story. What it lacks in excitement and suspense, it makes up for in technical innovations. The story shows a woman named Alice killing a painter who tried to rape her. After a brief investigation, her Scotland Yard boyfriend Frank realizes that's her who killed the man. All would've been it it weren't for a mysterious blackmailer suddenly showing up in Alice's shop. Then, suddenly, the tables turn and the blackmailer becomes, so to say, blackmailed. The climatic chase scene in The British Museum proves to be a preview of his standard stupendous finales in well-known spaces. Hitchcock's adequate beginning of a fantastic career.
½ September 22, 2012
Blackmail's historical significance may well overshadow the film itself, but that's not to say it isn't without merit in itself. It is interesting that this was filmed as a silent film then certain parts were re-filmed or overdubbed to create the first British 'talkie'. It was, of course, Hitchcock showing an early indication of his astute nature. Despite some clunky edits and the fact that the opening 8 minutes is almost entirely silent, the opening dialogue is clearly overdubbed when it finally arrives. This is fascinating enough as a document of a quickly evolving medium but the films isn't half bad itself.
½ September 20, 2012
100 years later this is a terrible film. but it might have been groundbreaking in 1929
September 19, 2012
prviot zvucen film na Hitchcock
September 4, 2012
Sometimes impressive. Mostly hard on the ears (dubbed) and overly assumptuous. Still. It's Hitchcock and all the signs of an impressive director are there. But a masterpiece? No.
April 19, 2012
This film being from 1929 is the oldest movie I've seen in my life. It was one of Hitches early works and it was pretty good. Yes it was hard not to be bored at times but with an old movie like this you have to accept that if it happens. The story was mediocre but it was still so well paced it could give you the chill, especially that final scene.
March 30, 2012