The Blob - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blob Reviews

½ May 2, 2017
Released thirty years after the original this is one of the few horror remakes that works better than the original upon which it is based and that is primarily down to the fact it doesn't take itself too seriously and even keeps some of the camp and fun tone that the original was known for. It also has improved special effects that look incredibly realistic and are detailed extremely well with gore aplenty (only the likes of The Thing and Day of the Dead are gorier). It also has some really rather inventive kills, the action is well done and the fact it subverts your expectations (killing off characters who initially seem like primary characters and even a child) as well as mixing in some cold war era motivations. The only flaws to this film really are the script and the acting but they are easily ignored thanks to all the positives and the fact it moves along with a frenetic plot while not outstaying its welcome.
½ March 21, 2017
Pretty hilarious at points
December 29, 2016
Ever so slightly better than the original with some good twists.
November 25, 2016
Such an awesome remake. Improves/tightens up stuff from the original, while keeping all the stuff that worked well. I don't want to be cliché, but the 80s had the best remakes.
November 22, 2016
A freakin great horror movie!, it does take about 25 or so minutes to get going but after the first 25 minutes it has a great pace to it. Some of the kills are creative and creepy. I love how The Blob moves pretty fast and the special effects are freakin amazing! and the ending is great too and I also much prefer this over The Thing (1982) anyday of the week, month, year, century etc.
I love this movie to death 5 stars! :)
November 1, 2016
A frustratingly dull & lifeless remake of the Late 1950's Cult Classic. It's a dismal film & a waste of time.

Weak acting & and slow story makes this for difficult watching. More gory than its original but no way near as appealing.

Interesting to see a very Kevin Dilion who went on to become Johnny Drama from Hit TV Shop Entourage from HBO.
October 20, 2016
Just saw this, and I have to call it an underrated classic. It makes the original campy gimmick of a creature threatening, and ads depth and heart to otherwise cliche characters. Beyond this, the effects look great for the time it was made.
½ October 9, 2016
I was surprised how much I liked it. Great gore and graphics very scary
October 2, 2016
One of my favorite horror films. A solid 5/5.
½ September 8, 2016
Hilariously over-the-top yet basic slasher film that follows convention tropes while adding a level of cynicism.
½ August 30, 2016
Government agents use a small town to test an organism they have developed as a defense weapon. Good characters and special effects. Well done remake.
August 30, 2016
Great example of remake done right.
August 7, 2016
This remake of the 50's cult classic was a very enjoyable thrill-ride of a movie - and a surprisingly gory one too! The gore effects are superb and the Blob creature has been brought to life as effectively as it could be for an 80's movie without being too cheesy. In my eyes it deservedly earns a spot on a list of best horror movie remakes next to the likes of Carpenter's 'The Thing' and Cronenberg's 'The Fly'.
½ July 1, 2016
A rare case of a remake that's better than the original film, if at least only marginally better. It starts out a lot better. The characters are developed better. The plot plays a nice twist on the viewer and changes lead characters at the end of the third act. The effects are better ... at least at first. Ultimately I think the film shoots itself in the foot much in the same fashion that Tobe Hooper's remake of "Invaders from Mars" does. The last act is all bland, loud action and excessive effects work, substituting tedium for an effective climax. It's at least 2/3 a good film though.
May 22, 2016
Bad acting, bad special effects..what the fuck Kevin Dillion?
May 4, 2016
One of those rare remakes that manages, in some ways, to best it's original. This movie should be mentioned in the same breath as "The Thing" and the "The Fly" more often than it is. It's a great horror movie with fantastic creature effects and some wonderfully gruesome deaths. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it has some of the best movie deaths I have ever seen. Really wonderful, and while it certainly has an air of the 1980s on it, it may actually hold up better than the original classic.
April 18, 2016
With plenty of chills, thrills and impressive visuals, The Blob offers strong performances from Shawnee Smith and Kevin Dillon and proves to be better than its 1958 original.
½ April 2, 2016
4.5/5 The first half is absolutely perfect and the rest is pretty great too, although it's a bit jarring once the scientists are introduced and the whole thing takes a more action-movie approach. Nonetheless, The Blob is plenty of fun with likable characters, incredible special effects, and some of the coolest, most gruesome deaths I've seen in a horror flick. I also appreciate its ability to take risks which definitely pays off.
November 22, 2015
One of the few remakes better than the original, and a movie that you just simply go back to, again and again. A little horror classic, full of B-Movie spirit.
November 5, 2015
Government science project unleashes a biological weapon upon a dead-end smalltown, rendering it even deader than before. Expect a considerable municipal tax hike to repair the damage. Remake of 50s film has some good effects.