Der Blaue Engel (The Blue Angel) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Der Blaue Engel (The Blue Angel) Reviews

October 25, 2016
Characters with charismatic powers unfolding like poetry. Great storytelling and a splendid building up towards a impeccable turnaround. Dietrich and Jannings giving it all, reaching for the stars, grabs them and eats them.
November 21, 2015
What is most memorable in this first-rate tragic classic, apart from Jannings' superb performance, is Marlene Dietrich's incredibly enticing, magnetic presence - which not by chance launched her into international stardom -, but the film also looks and sounds a bit dated today.
September 23, 2015
It's powerful, hypnotic, vicious, twisted, amazing, and horrible.
August 22, 2015
This is the role that made Dietrich famous. Actually quite sad.
½ May 15, 2015
gr8 star vehicle for the amazing Dietrich
½ April 2, 2015
Has a very thin plot and story, just didn't engage me. Just feels very dated to me.
March 29, 2015
I enjoyed this film a lot. It had good character establishment/development, good acting besides some over-obviousness at some points (which was characteristic of films in this era, so can't knock it too much). There was a multitude of great shots, creative angles, and innovative choices in editing- far more than I expected in a film from this time. The sound was clear and the lighting was impeccable. It was the most clean/professional-looking film thus far on my watchlist.
The characters were very, very interesting. Lola Lola was hot and so was her attitude. Great performance by her, for sure, but the professor was truly outstanding. The range of emotions his character went through was so expansive, and so excellently portrayed. Great performances all around.
The story was good, absolutely. Interesting, sexy, exciting, scary, tragic, and imperfect, of course. One thing I'm still adjusting to with watching old films is how insanely fast people fall in love??? It's like they have one good exchange and then they're embracing each other, grasping each other's biceps firmly with this abrupt burst of passion and commitment, touching noses. No one falls in love that fast. I don't know if their standards were different in real life back then or if they just hadn't worked out how to tell a story where love grows gradually instead of shooting up into the sky. It felt a little bit like lazy story-telling, but only on the romance level. The rest of it had normal pacing, for the most part. It had its slow, boring moments, but it wasn't too bad. I guess the pacing was kinda weird, rather uneven. The professor's change in character was gradual, foreshadowed, and it made sense- but other developments I found were much too abrupt, without explanation.
Anyway, I liked this film a lot. I do recommend it for a viewing. The conclusion was great, mildly disturbing. I wouldn't mind watching it again someday but I don't feel a need to include it in my collection anytime soon.
8/10
Bye love you
January 29, 2015
Para os que gostam de cinema verdadeiro não estou a falar de um filme mas sim de um Excepcional drama trágico, é um dos melhores exemplos do cinema bem-realizado
½ September 22, 2014
Instead of blaming Lola for being the femme fatale, the obsessive Professor has only himself to blame. Remarkably iconic performance from Marlene Dietrich which is mocked by many fellowmen, such as Helmut Berger.
July 1, 2014
Un estricto profesor termina humillado y sin dignidad cuando cae en las manos de una hermosa cantante. La historia de muchos.
June 23, 2014
Je l'avais pas trouvé vraiment bon ...
June 3, 2014
Grand fun - and gams!
½ February 20, 2014
An extraordinary character study that boasts some of the best performances I have ever seen from such an early film. The 1930s were often plagued by melodramatic performances and Marlene Dietrich does a sensational job as the seducing Lola. THe scene stealer for me though was the highly strung professor portrayed by Emil Jannings. The Blue Angel effectively shows the downfall of Professor Emanuel Rath who goes from one of the most respected and intelligent men in town to a deranged lunatic dressed as a clown. Jannings delivers such an amazing performance, particularly in the final scenes of the movie in which he has a nervous breakdown and is ridiculed on stage in front of his entire hometown. Though it was a tad dull at times, the final scenes were some of the most impressive in film history.
February 19, 2014
The Blue Angel has nice expressionist sequences in a manner of earlier silent German classics, competent acting, especially that of Marlene Dietrich and interesting story, but that story needed greater emotional investment to make a bigger impact and the singing scenes slow the movie significantly in a manner of detours and that is why this early sound film is good, but very flawed indeed.
January 2, 2014
Both the German and the English version of Josef von Sternberg's The Blue Angel remain an important part of cinematic history. The German version is by far the more effective. This might be due, in part, because the cast was German. However, there is something more realistic and gritty to be found in the German version. Produced prior to the Hayes Office Codes, the film offers an interesting insight into how early cinema was approaching realism. Marlene Dietrich literally seethes eroticism and her fellow "ladies" on the stage are every bit as tawdry as what Fosse would capture over forty years later in CABARET. Emil Jannings is both comical and heart-breaking in his performance. While the film does hinge on a misogynistic turn, it avoid the pitfall of the normal "bad girl with a heart of gold" conceit. This film will most certainly hold a great deal of interest for hardcore movie buffs or Film Theory aficionados. The allure of sexual desire has seldom been captured so brutally.
November 30, 2013
A tragic film about an esteemed professor's love affair with a lusty songstress leading to his fall from social graces.
½ August 4, 2013
It's easy to see why this launched the career of Dietrich, and it has nothing to do with her acting. She steals the show from under Jannings' nose in a strange echo of the plot of the film. But this is unfair to him, as he's clearly the best thing in it and it's easy to see why he was unamused to be upstaged by a pair of gams with an attitude. But hey ho, this was 1930 and Dietrich was just what everyone wanted. The right woman at the right time.

Anyway, to the film. Like many others from this era it's best described post-silent, because the dialogue is sparse and everything is about the expressions. Von Sternberg is not quite Fritz Lang of course, but his direction is interesting, and the design suitably evocative. The story is an old classic, and well told, but the shift in tone is a little jarring and unbelieveable. However , I'm aware it's more of an allegory, so we can let that slide. Overall, a very interesting piece that stands out well despite being old ground (even then!), and you can't help but feel that were a similar film released today, all the accolades would go to Emil Jannings' character rather than Dietrich's, or at least hope so!
May 29, 2013
Emotionally moving portrayal of a sensitive man's downfall
February 25, 2013
A real powerful and effective quality film, from the early days of sound cinema.
January 12, 2013
A college professor gives up his quiet and tranquil life for the love of a beautiful cold hearted night club singer. This film represents the debut and immediate star making performance of Marlene Dietrich, who is sexy but deadly in this racy and cold blooded von Sternberg film. The costumes and mise en scene remain beautiful regardless and aged gracefully. Two versions of the film exist, the German one and the English one. The English version, in comparison, is quite rushed, so the German one should be favoured.