The Brain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brain Reviews

October 17, 2015
adding based on Joe Bob Briggs recommendation
September 1, 2014
I personally find practical horror effects creepy, but here it just gets ridiculously amusing.
½ April 19, 2013
This is good canadian 80s cheesey horror at its best. Yeah yeah the story is kinda retarded but it makes up for that with the imagination and heart behind it. The actors are ok for a low budget horror affair and the effects are actually pretty bad ass. If you like big slimey looking rubber monsters and cheesy 80s horror this one is for you.
½ January 21, 2013
Truly the giant brain is one of the most hilarious things i have seen. You'd think this movie was actually terrible but i thought it was pretty well done. I suggest any b-movie fan or any fan of weird ass man eating brains to watch this. There are some clips on Youtube if you're not sure.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 18, 2012
Interesting Sci Fi horror film about a brain that east people. Directed by Bloody Birthday director, Ed Hunt, he keeps the level of cheesy fun at a steady pace. This is one surreal film with plenty of bizarre content to keep you interested. There's some genuine tension in its cheesiness, which adds to the atmosphere of the film. This is one of those films that is underrated, and has elements of classic monster films, which make it a fine little known horror film. This film has a great villain actor David Gale who previously starred in Re-Animator. This is cheesy horror at its best; The Brain is an obscured gem that deserves more praise. The films plot is simplistic, but it more than delivers on its insane premise of a brain that controls your mind and eats people. Brilliantly directed by Ed Hunt, this is a must see film for fans of low-budget horror yarns. Sure it could have been much better than what it turned out to be, but this is nonetheless a very good film. What really stands out with this one is the special effects and originality of its plot. Sure, it's simple, but man is it cool. The film proves that you can create a terrific horror treat with the most simple of ideas. This is one flick that horror fans should definitely check out if they come across it. A very thrilling and fun film from start to finish. The cast do a good job and David Gale definitely shines here as Dr. Blake. The Brain is one of the best cult classics that has the misfortune of not having a DVD release. This film has plenty of ridiculous moments to satisfy horror fans and is a must see for genre fans. The plot, like I said is nothing remarkable, but with horror, sometimes the simplest ideas are often the most memorable, and in the case of The Brain that is very true.
½ July 18, 2011
May 30, 2011
A giant brain. With tentacles. Eating people. Need I say more? Thank you, out-of-print VHS at Cinefile. <3
Beefy
January 25, 2011
This brain literally eats people. If that idea doesn't tickle your fancy, don't bother. There's nothing else here to scintillate.
November 21, 2010
Ja hát igen. Ebben egy baszott nagy gyilkos agy van. Kb. ennyi. Kosz.
July 29, 2010
Watching Syngenor got me in the mood to view more crazy antics of David Gale so I decided to pop in another forgotten horror film with the Canadian produced film The Brain. How could a film about a giant killer brain with sharp teeth not be a little entertaining? The original video box art to the film also scared the shit out of me when I was a kid and the picture on the back with a pair of bloody legs emerging from our evil brain's sharp tooth filled mouth burned its way into my memory and I have never forgotten it.

The film has David Gale as an evil psychologist who has somehow come into possession of an alien brain. The brain has some amazing psychic abilities so he uses the brain to "scan" or "control" people through their television sets. We have a juvenile delinquent who uncovers the evil plot so he and his girlfriend set out to stop David Gale. The only thing standing in their way is our gigantic brain which is hungry for human flesh!

This is a really bizarre film and it's plot never really gels together. The special effects are the highlight of as we get a lot of trippy sequences involving tentacles and the looks of the Brain itself is downright scary Sadly the budget hinders the Brain when it grows to gigantic size at the end and it is obviously chasing our protagonists while being pushed on a cart. Other than that it's face is something to haunt nightmares!

The acting is acceptable but like I expected David Gale steal the shows as he hams up the role perfectly. He knows a film about a giant killer brain with psychic abilities can't be taken seriously so he adds a lot of over-the-top antics to the character. There is even a nice headless nod to his Re-Animator role.

Though the plot never really gathers full steam, the film still manages to entertain as much as a trashy 80's film can about a giant carnivorous brain with psychic abilities can. Fans of bizarre horror cinema and forgotten 80's horror are recommended to hunt this film down. Sadly Lionsgate has not released a DVD in the united states yet so fans are still forced to view their wore out VHS copies. I originally sold my VHS years ago and like many other of reviews have stated I am still kicking myself for that. Also like I've stated in other reviews for rare films like this, I have to give a big thank you to my friend Bill who again scored me a copy so I could re-view the film. THANKS BILL!
June 23, 2010
Classic Canadian b-movie! Seriously watch this on Youtube it's hilarious and apparently exists just to warn us of the dangers of raw sodium! Oh and did I mention its about a giant brain with teeth that eats people?
½ January 6, 2010
Only worth it for the so so acting chops of Mississauga and Hamilton as American cities. Otherwise some terrible rubber props and not much else.
December 12, 2009
WARNING: The washroom scene is a dramatic representation. Combining sodium and water may cause serious injury. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!!!

I thought this movie was hilarious. A giant, remote controlled brain made out of garbage bags is always good fun.
½ November 4, 2009
hes angry hes mad he watches the worst movies ever hes an angry movie reviewer.the brain hes a killer brain on the attack watch out okay i can not say anything about this movie.see ya
November 2, 2009
it ends being more funny than scary, specially when the brain growls, its one of those movie thats so bad its good in its own way
½ October 10, 2009
As far as campy, corny, hilarious, over the top, nonsensical 80's horror films go, The Brain has DEFINITELY gotta be in the Top all-time 10 ever! The Brain is about a madman self-help gure/TV talk show host (David Gale perfectly cast in the role) who uses a carnivorous brain creature to transmit brainwashing mind-control out to the citizens of the small town the TV station/hospital resides in. Their next victim is high school prankster and all around troublemaker Tom Bresnahan, who quickly catches on to their scheme and runs for his life to avoid Gale, his goons, and the evil brain who are racking up a body count and blaming him for it. Can he stop the increasingly growing monster brain and Gale before they take the show worldwide? Who cares, this film is fun as hell and completely silly. Lots of funny parts and silly gore and creature effects. I love this film and wish it would come out on DVD. It's terrific. Camptastic.
½ August 16, 2009
well a silly b movie where the girl screams, and the man saves ther day, and monster eating people, typical 80`s film.
½ August 16, 2009
February 8, 2009
I've actually seen a lot worse. Sure the acting isn't brilliant or anything but it's definitely not as bad as I expected this b grade horror to be.
½ January 8, 2009
Classic cheesy horror flick. Suprised my wife stayed with me after I forced her to watch.