Brazil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brazil Reviews

July 2, 2016
This film is as close to perfect as it gets
½ July 2, 2016
Una surrealista fantasia tipo 1984 dotada de humor oscuro, irrepetibles secuencias oniricas y un alucinante final .Exige mucha paciencia al espectador pero al final el esfuerzo lo vale. A ver.
July 2, 2016
Un extraño, cómico y fantástico clasicazo de clasicazos.
½ July 2, 2016
Interesting idea, well presented, but I just don't really care about anyone. Too much surrealism lost me. The weird emotion doesn't really ever draw you in to the story as either serious or funny. However, the message & delivery are so good, it's at least worth seeing, for that.
July 1, 2016
Una fantástica y peculiar película que mezcla lo cómico y extraño estilo sobre un mundo retro-futurista y fantasías, toda una obra maestra.
June 25, 2016
What I think is Terry Gilliam's best. I will occasionally break into song singing Brazil to this day. This is also the role I think of when I think of Robert Deniro. An absolute stunner of a dystopian vision eerily similar to today - with a anonymous workplace and a bureaucracy that surround everything.
June 22, 2016
Totally bizarre, Kafkaesque with a hint of Bladerunner and TIme Bandits. Lots of fun to watch.
June 18, 2016
Terry Gilliam's dystopian adventure boasts unique visuals and a sharp, non-sense humour that makes Brazil sort of a futuristic Monty Python.
June 15, 2016
Dark, satirical and visually outstanding vision of the possible future in a totalitarian society.
½ June 14, 2016
This is one of the most bizarre and fascinating movies I've ever seen.
June 12, 2016
Terry Gilliam takes on George Orwell to bring us a vision of a dystopian future where bureaucracy has run wild. Sam Lowry, a lowly clerk working in The Ministry of Records becomes embroiled in a world of subversive heating engineers and freedom fighters when he tries to correct a clerical error which occurs in another department. Sam, played by the marvellous Jonathan Pryce, has a recurring fantasy dream that he is a winged superhero battling monsters and trying to save a beautiful woman. This marvellous and twisted movie made in 1985 is one of Gilliam's best features and he manages to weave his usual darkly comedic threads and fantastical elements together in order to create a chaotically startling world of ludicrous excess. There are just so many brilliant moments in the film. I love Katherine Helmond as Sam's rich, plastic surgery obsessed mother and Robert De Niro as Archibald Tuttle, the terrorist-cum-heating engineer who swoops into Sam's life and causes chaos. However, it is Pryce who really steals the show as the increasingly unhinged and desperate hero who through trying to be nice and do a good turn finds himself caught up in a situation that he is wholly unsuited to dealing with. Gilliam truly shows his genius and love of the underdog in this brilliant film that is still as stark, dark and funny as it was when I saw it in the cinema over 30 years ago.
June 2, 2016
A masterpiece of the last century.
½ May 15, 2016
4.3/5

An extremely well crafted world and story with classic themes as well as timeless performances that all nicely make up a very entretaining and classic dystopian film.
½ April 13, 2016
A beautifully filmed dystopian society by director Terry Gilliam. The story is about a man who doesn't really have much motivation or drive to move up in the world so his mother pulls strings to get him promoted. He doesn't want to until a mysterious beautiful woman who witnesses the state arrest the wrong man compels him to do so. Beautiful sets that look as if they inspired Tim Burton's "Batman."
March 24, 2016
Terry Gilliam's Brazil is a highly engaging black comedy that uses a dystopian society as its backdrop, and puts a unique twist on the genre, and through Gilliam's camera lens, it's a truly bizarre and memorable vision. The dystopian genre is very interesting, and it's one that is always exciting to see what they'll come up with it. With Brazil you have something totally different, you have hints of humor thrown into the film's storyline, and it adds something to the enjoyment of the film. Dystopian society films are often dark, nightmarish portraits of a society, but with this film we get something very different. The formula here has been reworked to give the storyline a bit more range than your standard dystopian film, and in turn it makes for a truly engaging experience. In the hands of Terry Gilliam, you have a well crafted picture with some truly stellar performances from its cast, especially from lead actor Jonathan Pryce who lights up every scene that he's in. Brazil is a great film, one that succeeds at delivering a different take on your standard dystopian society film, and in the hands of Terry Gilliam, he crafts a standout picture that is sure to please genre fans looking for something a bit different. Brazil is eccentric in the way that it's told, and it makes for a truly entertaining two and a half hours. If you enjoy Gilliam's work, you're sure to enjoy this. What makes Brazil great is the fact that it has your standard dark, atmospheric elements than are synonymous with the genre, but there are also lighter touches comic relief to really make it stand out among other films. Brazil is great filmmaking and one of the finest dystopian society films I've seen. With a great mix of comedy and serious content, Brazil is a standout genre film that elevates the bar and makes for a truly worthwhile viewing experience.

I have thought of my own reason why this movie is called Brazil/ the ending, reason 1, obviously is that the song 'Brazil' is played numerous times throughout the film.

Reason 2: So, I've never been to Brazil and when I look up Google images and I see these beautiful pictures of Rio de Janeiro etc. and the amazing weather, it just looks like the dream place to live, a paradise....but apparently it's a pretty dangerous place to live, with the slums it has a pretty high death rate, you have to be smart and know what streets are safe to walk down ect. It's safe to pressume Brazil is a False paradise.
Just like the end of the film is a false paradise for Sam. He's living the perfect life in his mind with his dream girl away from all the faulty machinery that's been ruining his whole life...but in reality, he's not in paradise, he's strapped in a chair without a state of mind. And to top things off he hums the song Brazil before the credits role indicating that he's in a false paradise.?
March 19, 2016
This is some crazy crazy shit
March 7, 2016
A Retro-futuristic Orwellian cloak-and-dagger fantasy noir sci-fi action dark comedy and a touch of horror - all Brilliantly played.
Weird and cool - truly unbelievable.
Made over Thirty years ago and holds up perfectly intact.
Amazing on many levels.

Jaw dropping sets, bizarro wackiness everywhere, and yet if you stick with it, it does kinda make sense by the end.
At least somewhat. haha
And when it's over, remember that it came in just under budget.
You won't believe it after you see it, trust me.

Too intense for the younger crowd, but an interesting take on a future of sensory overload.

And don't forget to fill out a report..

4 out of 5
February 22, 2016
One of the best if not the best movie made. Quirky, funny, unique, human, and such a great expose of bureaucracy and the Big Brother state.
February 20, 2016
...or love in the time of bureaucracy.
February 15, 2016
Can I give it more than 5 stars?