Brian's Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brian's Song Reviews

½ December 10, 2015
You're scheduling the game before he can get ready.

Brian Piccolo and Gayle Sayers were new teammates on the Chicago Bears during Sayers' rookie season. They were opposites in every way from skin color to personalities, and they became best friends. One day after becoming very successful; teammates discover Brian is diagnosed with cancer and Gayle will do his best to be Brian's friend till the end.

"How's your mother?"

Buzz Kulick, director of Miles from Nowhere, The Hunter, Her Secret Life, Women of Valor, Vanished, Cage without a Key, Warning Shot, and Riot, delivers Brian's Song. The storyline for this picture is very well told. I loved how they incorporated real NFL films into the movie. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes James Caan, Billy Dee Williams, Jack Warden, Bernie Casey, Shelley Fabares, and David Huddelston.

"They have to operate again."

I added this to my Netflix online wish list a long time ago and finally got around to seeing this...I am very glad I did. This is a very epic tale of friendship. I loved the performances by Caan and Billy Dee Williams and felt this was one of the best sports movies I have ever seen. I strongly recommend this.

"I'm pregnant."

Grade: A-
October 25, 2015
HOLY CRAP!! THIS WAS A MADE FOR TV FILM!!
September 15, 2015
I was surprised this was a made-for-TV movie. A quality production, based on a true story, with a very good, funny, and emotional performance by James Caan.
½ June 7, 2015
An American Classic about the two stars of the ever so famous Chicago Bears. This film highlights the relationship of Brian and Gale as they grow a great friendship despite their small hate at first. It's a great film that will bring many to tears. A-
June 5, 2015
Good film. Great character portrayals by James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. The chemistry and camaraderie between the two is what makes this film so great. Brian's Song is worth seeing, even if you're not a fan of football.
½ January 24, 2015
So I love me some Billy Dee. I'm a big fan of Billy Dee Williams as the coolest man in the galaxy, Lando Calrissian from the "Star Wars" films. I also love his blaxploitation forays like "The Take" ("Meet the brother with a badge...on the take!"). A friend told me if I loved Billy Dee, I had to see "Brian's Song." So I watched it. Afterward, I felt like New Jersey Governor Chris Christie served only a single Ritz cracker for dinner: Wholly unsatisfied. Billy Dee plays some football player named Gale (who the hell names their baby boy Gale?!). And he wants this spot on the team, but so does this white guy Brian (Jimmy Caan!). And then they decide to be roommates when the team is on the road. And I'm thinking, Oooooh, this is starting to get good! But then Billy Dee gets injured, and Caan gets cancer. Jesus, I haven't felt this depressed since I learned Adam Sandler got $20 million to star in "You Don't Mess With The Zohan." I think if "Brian's Song" took out the cancer subplot and instead had the football team win the Super Bowl at the end, this would have been a much more satisfying movie. One sidenote: As a Chicagoan, I must ask. How can you make a movie about the Chicago Bears and not include William "The Refrigerator" Perry?! Get Ving Rhames to put on 200 pounds and bam, movie gold.
January 15, 2015
I wasn't overly fond of this immensely popular guy-movie tearjerker. I thought the performances, especially James Caan, were great, but it's got a real TV movie quality to it that just doesn't do it for me. I'm not generally critical of TV movies, and love a lot of elements in many of them, but in this case, there's a lot of very heavy emotions in the last act of this that are immensely compromised by an extremely artificial and downright hokey approach. Caan's death scene is all melodramatic slow talking and laboured breathing ... pretty terrible and completely unbelievable. Kind of important for a film that's ultimately all about his character's death to get it right.
December 20, 2014
This really good television drama channels emotions especially the second half is emotionally hard while the whole film is kind-hearted with optimism. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ April 27, 2014
not my thing but not horrible.
April 8, 2014
Very heart warming story. Brings out the tears.
February 18, 2014
Hearing about how this film is over sentimental and a short, I decided to give "Brian's Song" a try anyway. I thoroughly enjoyed "Brian's Song." Although a little cheesy at points, I really enjoyed the performances.
February 2, 2014
Stunning. The friendship between Gale and Brian is represented beautifully. A must-see.
½ November 17, 2013
One of the all-time great sports movies.
October 10, 2013
Brian's Song is really a true man movie. Taking many things the man loves and mixing them into one film that's truly great. Bernie Mac once said this was one of the only movies a man could cry to. It really shows the impact of friendship, diversity, athleticism, setback, and hilarity can do to two people who at the time seem so different from eachother. A classic that should be on every football loving, joke telling, hardy man's list. Simply 5 stars.
October 9, 2013
I still cry when I watch this ...
September 30, 2013
Great story of friendship and rivalry, and making each other better. Both Caan and Williams give great performances and true stories like this always work well as movies.
September 6, 2013
Watched this again recently for umpteenth time. I forget how wonderful this is and brings you to tears each time. V
½ August 26, 2013
An inspiring dramatic tale. James Caan and Billy Dee Williams are great.
July 9, 2013
Touching and inspiring, even if it is a bit overt and in-your-face with its sentimentality.

Grade: A
July 7, 2013
The best made for television film to date!