Bright Lights, Big City Reviews

• Jan 10, 2019

You have to watch it twice. I watched this movie once and thought it was average, the second time it was brilliant. Why? Well everyones saying the movie is slow however the movie moves at a fast pace for the character not for us. The nightclub scenes are fun and we can see how Jamie (Michael J Fox) interacts and tries to make things right. Following the characters there are hints and the mis en scene demonstrates the characters development throughout the film. For example when Jamie removes his sunglasses he sees the world in a better light. Everything is cleverly connected and thought out all the way from the first to the last frame. At the end of the movie everything fits together brilliantly and you finally make sense of whats happened.

• Dec 05, 2017

a very indifferent and boring vision with a half-baked Fox as the vehicle

a very indifferent and boring vision with a half-baked Fox as the vehicle

• Nov 30, 2017

Fox is impressive and gives probably the best performance of his career here. It's a pretty apt window into the life of a cocaine addict, but it just kind of drags on too much from one bender to another. Not much of note happens, other than Fox's introspection.

• Mar 04, 2017

As much as I love Michael J. Fox, this movie certainly didn't do him any favors. His performance was fine, but ultimately the story and direction were way too boring. I would say that this is on the low end of his career highlights. Skip it.

• Sep 13, 2016

Another 80's movie that I never saw and I really wish I didn't take the time to go back and watch this one. It's boring and not much of a plot.

• Aug 21, 2016

small town boy adventures in the big apple

small town boy adventures in the big apple

• May 02, 2016

Growing up in the 80s, I spent a lot of time watching Michael J. Fox. He was everywhere-on TV's Family Ties, in movies like Teen Wolf and Back to the Future, and even sang with Joan Jett for the film Light of Day. But something led him to Bright Lights Big City, a very dramatic piece for the usually comedic actor. This film feels like a time capsule of the 80s yuppie subculture through the eyes of an addict who continues to make mistakes when he should be looking for help. I have to say that I would never watch this again, but mainly because seeing Fox degrade on screen is not enjoyable. Kudos for the acting, but I'd rather watch Doc Hollywood.

• Apr 14, 2016

Another Fox vehicle where he seems to want to break away from his typical role. Somewhat interesting to watch a young magazine editor try to keep pace with his job while maintaining a cocaine habit and regular presence on the big city nightclub circuit.

• Mar 06, 2016

unamusing and pointless-not worth your time.

unamusing and pointless-not worth your time.

• Apr 15, 2015

Fox trying to broaden his range but you just can not buy him in this role and everything else goes down the drain.