Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bug Reviews

May 6, 2016
this movie gave me nightmares
½ August 25, 2013
The macro bug photography is nice and there's a lot that works in a trashy 70's b-movie sort of way but all in all it's just boring.
Francisco G.
May 13, 2013
I was actually enjoying this one at first but it just grows tedious beyond belief. The dialogues become a snore fest, the plot moves nowhere and it just doesn't go over the top like it could've. It also has a way too serious tone for a movie that is, essentially, about bugs that set shit on fire with their asses.
February 17, 2013
It's a movie about mutant fire breathing cockroaches from beneath the earths crust...

Still with me? Great, if you read that and didn't immediately move on to a different movie, you'll probably love this movie. It comes from a time when mutant animals could attack Small Town USA without having "Mega" attached to it's name.

If you like the old style of creature features, then you'll probably love this one too.
January 14, 2013
I feel so bad for William Castle. Bug was essentially his last film before his death, and he doesn't go out on a particular high note. He did have recent success with Rosemary's Baby, but this one is a bit of stinker. It starts out to be a great little creature feature about bugs, but descends into a one-man show instead. The film gets pretty boring in the second half and meanders all over the place, making little to no sense logically most of the time. Bradford Dillman is very kooky in this one, giving it his all as the science teacher gone mad over the new species of roaches that have come up from the Earth as a result of an earthquake. It's a shame too because the movie shows a lot of promise as being a "so bad that it's good" kind of movie, but it doesn't even rise to that. I'll give it props for sticking to its idea most of the time, and for the clever 'Man on fire POV' shot, which I thought was pretty unique. Otherwise, it's a pretty big snoozefest, to say the least.
October 15, 2012
On, man! Been a long time since I seen this and lets keep it that way!
August 4, 2012
William Castle was a truly great showman and producer of entertaining old school horror, so it's truly sad that this terrible cinematic vermin was his last effort. An earthquake frees fire-farting, but slow-moving, cockroaches from the San Andreas fault and the worst scientist in history breeds them with common household cockroaches. This somehow results in cockroaches that are not only capable of setting things alight with their flatulence, but that can also read newspapers, spell, and formulate complex plans. This makes them much smarter than the extremely sweaty scientist (apparently nobody in this flick had access to antiperspirants) who just can't remember to keep their cage fastened shut. As a result, the cockroaches set people's heads on fire. If you love William Castle, the man who gave us such fun classics as 13 Ghosts and The Tingler, who brought clever gimmicks into theaters to get his audiences caught up in the glee he provided, do yourself a favor... avoid Bug. Despite the synopsis given here, it's not an entertaining throwback at all; it's about as enjoyable as watching cockroaches scuttle across your kitchen floor.
May 19, 2012
Ropy animal horror that is rather amusing it how poor the science is and how dumb the people are. Watching people fail to spot the significance of fire setting cockroaches is amusing and more so when they find inventive ways for them to use that power against humans. Whatever you think of the poor quality acting, picture and sound i give huge credit to the cast baring being covered with all manner of insects to bring us this masterpiece.

Some bad-movie fun to be had but a slow pace will test even that.
½ May 16, 2012
I saw this when I was a teenager. Very scary in those days!
½ May 28, 2011
I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting from this movie, but queued it up and sat through the whole thing. And even after doing that, I still think I missed something. I really was paying attention as these slow moving and not really swarming bugs stalked their pray. Waiting to sit on them and reveal themselves to the audience in some coy turnaround by a character (or cat) and slowly rub its back legs together. But, unlike a cricket and it's wonderful sleep depriving melody, it is fire that emanates.

This could have been a good cheesy epidemic from a living thing movie from the 70's, I can't really recall any that were that good at the moment but I remember a really bad one about ants in a cabin when the climax was for everyone to sit real still. Someone on TV said something before about this movie and said the real ending should have been the person who realized they should just put shoes on a walk really fast out of that house. Well, that kind of works for this movie, too. There was too much whining and writing as one bug sits on your eyesocket and flint sparks you to death. Oh, wait, it just kind of burns you unless you have a head full of fully formed hairspray helmet. But the bald guy wasn't even safe in this movie, so take that.

Hopefully, my review is slightly entertaining, because that is more than the movie.
½ May 14, 2011
it's so horror and terror.
May 4, 2011
This 70s creature feature is an important film to me as it was the first movie I ever saw at Hackensack's legendary Oritani Theater. It was on a double feature with At The Earth's Core (the movie I really wanted to see) and it was the only time I was at the theatre before it became a triplex. This story of an earthquake unleashing an army of prehistoric firestarting cockroaches bothered me when I was 10 but, now it's time to take another look. Bug has some great 70s nostalgic charm as it takes it's far fetched story quite seriously and director Jeannot Szwarc makes it work by doing exactly that. The cast also play it serious as these lethal insects begin to set everything and everyone in town ablaze as science teacher Bradford Dillman tries to study and stop them. And that's where Bug deviates from the norm, Dillman's scientist becomes obsessed with these creatures and the film shifts gears in the final act to become a Frankenstein like story with his studies becoming experiments and well, we all know where Frankenstein's experiments lead. Far fetched but, fun 70s stuff.
½ November 23, 2010
K├ír ├ (C)rte. Az ┼▒rb┼'l ├ (C)rkezett t┼▒zcsihol├│ cs├│t├ínyos m├│ka egy kicsik├ (C)t elny├║jtott. 1x
November 1, 2010
I really tried to see what all the fuss was about but couldn't. As the film slowly (and I mean that in a painful sense) played out before me I was repeatedly wondering what was even supposed to be so remarkable about the film. The bugs are far from scary (their biggest problem is starting fires that kill people) and the only cool scene comes towards the end and may honestly just be in the warped imagination of the lead character who goes crazy. Of the five victims in the film three are women and those three are the ones that suffer the most which really annoyed me (maybe it's because I'm doing feminist theory in Literary Criticism this week). Overall, it's not really worth watching unless you have some sentimental value attached to it from seeing it when you were younger or what not. It was simply a bore with a few bugs and some fires.
October 18, 2010
Beetles sparking fire out of their bums has never been so boring. It looks terrible, the acting is horrendous and it ends on a silly note, all in all it is down right awful.
½ February 10, 2010
Belle bande horrifique 70s.
Zwarc Rules!
November 28, 2009
haha- sounds so bad it's funny
October 22, 2009
Fire welding cockroaches from the earths core are burning people; some to death as they go up like kindling on the old Brady Bunch set. It just goes to show not to fuck w/ nature as these dangerous insects were dying off from the surface pressure but a professor had to fuck w/ genetics & mates the fire bugs w/ an ordinary cockroach w/ disastrous results. If those mother fuckers weren't hard enough to kill why would you give them the power to start fires
½ October 17, 2009
best part was the fact that a bug exploded a car with its butt