Burglar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burglar Reviews

½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/30/2010)
June 18, 2014
Definitely not one of Whoopi's best. But it had some funny parts
½ March 2, 2014
gr8 cast can only make this com-dram luke warm.
½ August 22, 2013
Though not quite of the standard of her previous film 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' (1986), there's still plenty of Whoopi Goldberg's charm here to carry this through. In a role initially intended for Bruce Willis, Goldberg is supported by some wonderful comedians here, notably Bob(cat) Goldwaith, G. W. Bailey and a scene-stealing Anne De Salvo. There's lots of fun to be had in this uncomplicated caper.
½ January 15, 2013
Whoopie as a burglar, yeah that's a laugh.
December 30, 2012
I'm surprised the reviews for this movie are so negative. I found it to be very funny. Bob Goldthwait plays, well, himself in two scenes that literally had me on the floor.

It may not be a masterpiece, but the characters are all played well and the storyline is serviceable. Goldberg carries the movie well enough and has good support from everyone else, but really, Goldthwait steals the movie with his scenes.

There is a chase scene that's rather underwhelming, but after the chase scenes in the Matrix Reloaded and Terminator 3, almost everything is. Aside from that, the directing is solid.

I enjoyed this movie and continue to enjoy with successive watchings. Keep an eye out in discount bins and you can score this movie for four bucks. I think it's worth it.
September 28, 2012
This is my fav movie of all time. It has everything...action...brilliant comedy...and of course, the great Whoopi herself.
September 2, 2012
Whoopi and Bobcat are friends in this hilarious (old) comedy.
January 14, 2012
I LOVE all of whoopi goldberg's movies:)
December 5, 2011
I love it! It's my favorite cultfilm! It made me a Whoopie fan. Me and sis sees it every other year and are equally amused. It has a lot of little moments and some heart, some 80'es and some evergreen!
½ July 26, 2011
When ex-cat burglar Bernice Rhodenbarr (Whoopi Goldberg) inadvertently witnesses a murder, she enlists help from her friends, wacko poodle-groomer Carl (Bob Goldthwait) and drunken floozie Frankie (Elizabeth Ruscio), to help solve the crime and prove Bernice's innocence. Next thing you know, Bernice and her pals find themselves trying to outwit tough guys galore and two stupid cops (Anne DeSalvo and John Goodman) in this amiable caper comedy. Basically rubbish with star power and a very funny Bobcat Goldthwait. Burglar was a decent, entertaining movie. It could have been funnier and had a few slow spots, but it was still entertaining. Fans of Goldberg may enjoy it.

VERDICT: "Rental" - (Mixed to Negative reaction). These films are only worth renting because of certain good things that are worth seeing, but are not worth paying at a theatre to see due to bad things that overcome anything good.
July 20, 2011
(* 1/2): Thumbs Down

It has some funny moments but it is more annoying and stupid than anything.
February 4, 2011
I love Bobcat in this movie, he's funny as usual, but the rest of the cast is just okay. I liked this movie, but it could have been better, it's pretty cheesy at times.
½ December 21, 2010
Pretty awful but it does have John Goodman and Bobcat Goldthwait in it!
October 10, 2010
Not really a favourite but Bobcat cracks me up and it's not a bad way to kill an hour and a half.
August 16, 2010
whoopie is cool in this....crazy!!!! I liked it
February 10, 2010
"burglar" is hilarious movie of that with hilarious starring whoopi goldberg and bob goldthwait(that he acting so funny). best part with goldberg's character bernie steal of police motorcycle and the wild ride chasing by an cop. john goodman also starring who before dan conner in tv show "roseanne".
½ February 8, 2010
Burglar is not a classic. But if you like Whoopi Goldberg's late 1980's movies, this one ranks right up there with Fatal Beauty and Jumping Jack Flash.
½ November 11, 2009
one of the worst movies ever
October 4, 2009
Funny movie! Really enjoyed it, even if it was too corny at times.