Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Reviews

½ April 29, 2018
Newman and Redford have such a relatable banter that the rest of the film is secondary to it. The script is good, and the film is memorable and fun.
½ April 15, 2018
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is a classic within its genre, but other westerns have certainly aged better.
April 14, 2018
people kept robbing it..

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The chemistry between the lead characters is the key to this feature that breeds soft moments in this hardcore western world where everything is fair. George Roy Hill's brilliant execution skills helps this feature sail off to the shore smoothly where a bit more editing would have done no harm. Robert Redford and Paul Newman are convincingly good in their sibling sort of relation and carries it all on their shoulder. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid being a character driven feature has brilliant performance, execution and character development in it but unfortunately lacks a gripping screenplay that may allow the audience to drift off once in a while.
½ April 1, 2018
Superb, and not your average western.

Wyoming, early 1900s. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid are the leaders of the Hole In The Wall Gang, a band of outlaws. After a train robbery goes wrong the find themselves on the run with a posse hard on their heals. Their solution - escape to Bolivia!

Superb movie. While having the appearances of a western it's more than that. Quite funny and many of the themes could have played out in any era. If anything, it captures the end of the old Wild West.

Great performances by Paul Newman and Robert Redford in the lead roles. So good was the Newman-Redford combination that, four years later, director George Roy Hill reunited them for another of his movies, The Sting.
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 17, 2018
Classic anti-western starring two great actors. One of my all time favorites.
½ November 14, 2017
This suffers from massive unevenness. It starts as bubbly fun, paradoxically slows down while they're on the run, & then gets tense when in Bolivia. The bookends work, but that overlong middle section is such an uncharacteristic slog. Still, everything else is about as fun as a western can be. Newman & Redford are basically a super cute couple: banter, longing smiles, light-hearted bickering, unending love. Best of all, there's never a lame save-the-cat moment to make us root for them. We just do it instinctually.
November 8, 2017
Surprisingly fun, lightweight cowboy outlaw flick with great, naturalistic dialogue, and an unbeatable pair of lead actors. It didn't resonate much with me, emotionally, partially due to the way female characters with whom our leads are attached get handled; there's very little for them to do but worry.
½ October 15, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

The plot might not offer much but Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is still impressively shot, exciting, and offers a great lead duo.
October 1, 2017
I was four years old when I first saw this movie in the theater back in 1969. Still to this day one of my all time favorites
½ September 2, 2017
A romantic interpretation of the life of an outlaw. The witty duo, Redford and Newman, has become mythical since The Sting. A must see.
August 18, 2017
My Favorite Western Film Of All Time Is 1956's The Searchers.
½ July 22, 2017
Coming from a drama,comedy, and Romance from the original bromance of Paul Newman and Robert Redford!
½ July 9, 2017
Fuego! Fuego! Fuego!
½ May 25, 2017
A well-filmed classic Western worth seeing. Robert Redford and Paul Newman have good chemistry together. (First and only full viewing - 11/29/2009)
½ May 14, 2017
Burt Bacharach's iconic song and the sharp dynamics between Paul Newman and Robert Redford make Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a classic Western.
½ May 5, 2017
Nobody can argue with how great Redford and Newman are together in this film. Their interaction makes them so funny and charming that it would be difficult to not root for them, regardless of the fact that they are bank robbers. However, the movie has a strange pace, and even stranger music. The "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" sequence seems really out of place and will definitely remind you that you are watching a movie. It's certainly not a bad movie, but it is difficult to see why it is regarded as such a classic considering other movies that are usually mentioned alongside it.
May 2, 2017
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid is, unquestionably, one of the most iconic movies of all times, featuring one of its most iconic partnerships, and one of its most iconic endings. In the first half I was wholly invested, loving the 2 lead actors and their repartee, adoring the beautiful cinematography and enjoying the snappy dialogue. Newman & Redford make a winning pair, and some of its opening scenes, especially where the latter is accused of cheating in a card game and has to escape unharmed, are fantastic. But at the halfway point, when our heroes flee the States for Bolivia, everything goes badly wrong. Roger Ebert claimed in his review that this was the point the film starts going downhill, and it does, very, very rapidly. The funny banter dries up, the pace slows to a near-halt and very little of real interest happens. I couldn't believe how much of a let-down it was, considering how much I had been enjoying it up until this point. The climactic scene is great, tense and exciting, but at that point all I wanted was for the film to end. If the quality of the first half had been maintained I would happily join the masses in calling it a masterpiece, but for failing to be the sum of all its part, I can only call the movie an unbalanced disappointment.
½ April 20, 2017
This movie suffers from the same problem as "Pat Garret..." And "The Young Guns". These movies are a product of their time and just seem silly and kitschy now. Was that Simon & Garfunkel I heard?
March 5, 2017
One of the all-time classics in any genre.