Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Reviews

½ September 2, 2017
A romantic interpretation of the life of an outlaw. The witty duo, Redford and Newman, has become mythical since The Sting. A must see.
August 18, 2017
My Favorite Western Film Of All Time Is 1956's The Searchers.
½ July 22, 2017
Coming from a drama,comedy, and Romance from the original bromance of Paul Newman and Robert Redford!
½ July 9, 2017
Fuego! Fuego! Fuego!
½ May 25, 2017
A well-filmed classic Western worth seeing. Robert Redford and Paul Newman have good chemistry together. (First and only full viewing - 11/29/2009)
½ May 14, 2017
Burt Bacharach's iconic song and the sharp dynamics between Paul Newman and Robert Redford make Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a classic Western.
½ May 5, 2017
Nobody can argue with how great Redford and Newman are together in this film. Their interaction makes them so funny and charming that it would be difficult to not root for them, regardless of the fact that they are bank robbers. However, the movie has a strange pace, and even stranger music. The "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" sequence seems really out of place and will definitely remind you that you are watching a movie. It's certainly not a bad movie, but it is difficult to see why it is regarded as such a classic considering other movies that are usually mentioned alongside it.
May 2, 2017
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid is, unquestionably, one of the most iconic movies of all times, featuring one of its most iconic partnerships, and one of its most iconic endings. In the first half I was wholly invested, loving the 2 lead actors and their repartee, adoring the beautiful cinematography and enjoying the snappy dialogue. Newman & Redford make a winning pair, and some of its opening scenes, especially where the latter is accused of cheating in a card game and has to escape unharmed, are fantastic. But at the halfway point, when our heroes flee the States for Bolivia, everything goes badly wrong. Roger Ebert claimed in his review that this was the point the film starts going downhill, and it does, very, very rapidly. The funny banter dries up, the pace slows to a near-halt and very little of real interest happens. I couldn't believe how much of a let-down it was, considering how much I had been enjoying it up until this point. The climactic scene is great, tense and exciting, but at that point all I wanted was for the film to end. If the quality of the first half had been maintained I would happily join the masses in calling it a masterpiece, but for failing to be the sum of all its part, I can only call the movie an unbalanced disappointment.
½ April 20, 2017
This movie suffers from the same problem as "Pat Garret..." And "The Young Guns". These movies are a product of their time and just seem silly and kitschy now. Was that Simon & Garfunkel I heard?
March 5, 2017
One of the all-time classics in any genre.
March 3, 2017
Charming meta-comedy with mixture of hipness, heart and genuine characterization. Some reviewers may take offence at how chunks of this crime and chase-sequence actioner float by like effortless comedy, but bare in mind that the genre had created thousands of titles at this point. The hazy, AM radio feel, unconventional editing, social satire, and self-consious "movie" elements are the core reference point for numerous Tarantino films decades later
January 24, 2017
Butch Cassidy and the Hole in the Wall gang are out for money. They have robbed a ton of trains, but like poor people tend to do they squandered it away over and over again. It starts out with this sepia introduction, which almost threw me off the movie early. I don't really WANT to watch a movie made before 1990. I don't like the way they look. Spoiled by digital filmmaking. But, wanting to be well versed in film, my journey takes me to them occasionally. Let me say I shouldn't always be so set in my ways.

About 35 minutes in you are growing to like the characters played by Paul Newman and Robert Redford and you are hit with a highly formidable for that they can't escape from. They are being chased by the baddest lawmen money can buy. Those first thirty five minutes are admittedly the best of the movie, before it becomes an extended chase scene. The performances by the main cast are marvelous thought, throughout.

Alot of money was spent to have the movie shot in real locations, and it shows. The landscapes are beautiful during the endless chase. The dialogue is witty. Maybe too witty for those in 1970, hoping to be whisked away to 1910. But both the modernization of dialogue and when screenwriters take it back (like Deadwood) are both valid ways to sell a movie set 100 years ago to a modern crowd.
Burton Bacharach did the score too, so it doesn't strike you like a Leone western does, but feels more contemporary.
November 2, 2016
At the tail end of the 60s, with the Western having had a nice decade long run, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid comes along and offers up a flawed but ultimately enjoyable film that shakes up many of the tropes of the genre. Rather than going for a gritty tone in line with many other Westerns, William Goldman's script focuses on character interactions and a surprising amount of comedy between Cassidy and Sundance. The script and the direction George Roy Hill takes this story in manages to keep a mostly lighthearted tone while still reminding everyone that the two leads were criminals who made a living robbing trains and banks. What really sells this tone is the pairing of Paul Newman and Robert Redford as Cassidy and Sundance, who share impeccable chemistry and are the true life force of the film. Of course, the more familiar aspects of a Western are here as well: the sweeping cinematography of Conrad Hall beautifully captures the expanses of the Western U.S. and Bolivia (actually Mexico during filming), and the production design of each town and each interior feels authentic in a way they should. It begins to slog in the middle, as the film starts to lose some focus and jumps from scene to scene without proper transitions that make it feel natural, and the strange addition of montages with no dialogue (including one with just still frames) are oddly jarring and kill any pace the film may have set up. The Newman-Redford pairing truly makes up for all of these flaws though: their camaraderie alone is enough to make this one worth a watch.
October 13, 2016
There's not too much plausibility in this movie but it truly is a classic go-to for bank robbing movies, mostly because of how it established a certain chemistry between two protagonists that's very prevalent in modern movies of this sort. While I think there are scenes that should be cut out, there's more scenes that are just so tightly written, perfectly acted and timelessly crafted that are still surprising this many years later.
½ September 20, 2016
Known as a classic and based on a story of two bank robbers - Butch and the Sundance Kid. This is a mixture of everything. Known as a biographic western drama, but still filled with action, crime and also plenty of humor. The strongest part for me was the connection and chemistry Paul Newman and Robert Redford had on screen - very impressive and the snappy dialogues is beliveable. Oh, and that "Burt Bacharach - South American Getaway" song is hella cool.

I dig the script, I enjoy the acting and I like the story and the way it develops. It got some all right scenes - entertainment wise, but not all of them are strong. The problem is that there is too much in the mix here, so I don't get a total feel of either action, drama or humor. It's also too soft on many levels as well. OK classic, but it's not deserving it's place on the IMDB's top 250 list.

7 out of 10 shootouts.
½ September 11, 2016
Newman and Redford create a duo that simply remains unmatched in the history of film. Their stunning performances and chemistry make this movie a must-see for any western fanatic.
May 26, 2016
While the plot for this film is fairy thin, the chemistry between the two lead characters keeps the viewer entertained. The cinematography is very good and the final scene memorable, but the film seems too long and is poorly edited in places. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time, one of the greatest westerns of all time, and features a classic movie song. AAN 1001
May 8, 2016
Witty, funny script. Actors who can act. Gotta love it.
April 24, 2016
Quality film and a great chemistry between Newman and Redford
½ April 13, 2016
One of the greatest films in which nothing happens. Beautiful.