Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Reviews

½ April 20, 2017
This movie suffers from the same problem as "Pat Garret..." And "The Young Guns". These movies are a product of their time and just seem silly and kitschy now. Was that Simon & Garfunkel I heard?
March 5, 2017
One of the all-time classics in any genre.
March 3, 2017
Charming meta-comedy with mixture of hipness, heart and genuine characterization. Some reviewers may take offence at how chunks of this crime and chase-sequence actioner float by like effortless comedy, but bare in mind that the genre had created thousands of titles at this point. The hazy, AM radio feel, unconventional editing, social satire, and self-consious "movie" elements are the core reference point for numerous Tarantino films decades later
January 24, 2017
Butch Cassidy and the Hole in the Wall gang are out for money. They have robbed a ton of trains, but like poor people tend to do they squandered it away over and over again. It starts out with this sepia introduction, which almost threw me off the movie early. I don't really WANT to watch a movie made before 1990. I don't like the way they look. Spoiled by digital filmmaking. But, wanting to be well versed in film, my journey takes me to them occasionally. Let me say I shouldn't always be so set in my ways.

About 35 minutes in you are growing to like the characters played by Paul Newman and Robert Redford and you are hit with a highly formidable for that they can't escape from. They are being chased by the baddest lawmen money can buy. Those first thirty five minutes are admittedly the best of the movie, before it becomes an extended chase scene. The performances by the main cast are marvelous thought, throughout.

Alot of money was spent to have the movie shot in real locations, and it shows. The landscapes are beautiful during the endless chase. The dialogue is witty. Maybe too witty for those in 1970, hoping to be whisked away to 1910. But both the modernization of dialogue and when screenwriters take it back (like Deadwood) are both valid ways to sell a movie set 100 years ago to a modern crowd.
Burton Bacharach did the score too, so it doesn't strike you like a Leone western does, but feels more contemporary.
November 2, 2016
At the tail end of the 60s, with the Western having had a nice decade long run, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid comes along and offers up a flawed but ultimately enjoyable film that shakes up many of the tropes of the genre. Rather than going for a gritty tone in line with many other Westerns, William Goldman's script focuses on character interactions and a surprising amount of comedy between Cassidy and Sundance. The script and the direction George Roy Hill takes this story in manages to keep a mostly lighthearted tone while still reminding everyone that the two leads were criminals who made a living robbing trains and banks. What really sells this tone is the pairing of Paul Newman and Robert Redford as Cassidy and Sundance, who share impeccable chemistry and are the true life force of the film. Of course, the more familiar aspects of a Western are here as well: the sweeping cinematography of Conrad Hall beautifully captures the expanses of the Western U.S. and Bolivia (actually Mexico during filming), and the production design of each town and each interior feels authentic in a way they should. It begins to slog in the middle, as the film starts to lose some focus and jumps from scene to scene without proper transitions that make it feel natural, and the strange addition of montages with no dialogue (including one with just still frames) are oddly jarring and kill any pace the film may have set up. The Newman-Redford pairing truly makes up for all of these flaws though: their camaraderie alone is enough to make this one worth a watch.
October 13, 2016
There's not too much plausibility in this movie but it truly is a classic go-to for bank robbing movies, mostly because of how it established a certain chemistry between two protagonists that's very prevalent in modern movies of this sort. While I think there are scenes that should be cut out, there's more scenes that are just so tightly written, perfectly acted and timelessly crafted that are still surprising this many years later.
½ September 20, 2016
Known as a classic and based on a story of two bank robbers - Butch and the Sundance Kid. This is a mixture of everything. Known as a biographic western drama, but still filled with action, crime and also plenty of humor. The strongest part for me was the connection and chemistry Paul Newman and Robert Redford had on screen - very impressive and the snappy dialogues is beliveable. Oh, and that "Burt Bacharach - South American Getaway" song is hella cool.

I dig the script, I enjoy the acting and I like the story and the way it develops. It got some all right scenes - entertainment wise, but not all of them are strong. The problem is that there is too much in the mix here, so I don't get a total feel of either action, drama or humor. It's also too soft on many levels as well. OK classic, but it's not deserving it's place on the IMDB's top 250 list.

7 out of 10 shootouts.
½ September 11, 2016
Newman and Redford create a duo that simply remains unmatched in the history of film. Their stunning performances and chemistry make this movie a must-see for any western fanatic.
May 26, 2016
While the plot for this film is fairy thin, the chemistry between the two lead characters keeps the viewer entertained. The cinematography is very good and the final scene memorable, but the film seems too long and is poorly edited in places. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time, one of the greatest westerns of all time, and features a classic movie song. AAN 1001
May 8, 2016
Witty, funny script. Actors who can act. Gotta love it.
April 24, 2016
Quality film and a great chemistry between Newman and Redford
½ April 13, 2016
One of the greatest films in which nothing happens. Beautiful.
April 3, 2016
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is a classic within its genre, but other westerns have aged better.
½ April 1, 2016
How is this a 93%??? I mean, it was okay. It had its moments... but, 93?!? FOH
April 1, 2016
Best buddy movie of all time.
I could do that. Could you do that?
How can they do that?
½ March 29, 2016
Newman and Redford's chemistry will seep out of the TV and onto the of your living room in "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid," William Goldman and George Roy Hill's love letter to the beautifully rustic charms of the American Old West. With an iconic score and an equally iconic slew of images, the film is sure to please both Western geeks and casual moviegoers alike. It's got sass, wit, blisteringly funny moments of levity, and a rightful place on the brighter side of film history.
March 13, 2016
If you've seen the Top Gear special where they travel through Patagonia then you'll remember all the references to Butch Cassidy. I had just finished watching that special so I decided that I couldn't put off watching this film any longer. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is often called one of the best films by several critics around the world, and while I get what they see in it, I don't think it was nearly as good as I expected it to be.

The cinematography in this film was nothing short of brilliant. I loved each shot of the cavalry chasing after the gang all the way to Bolivia. You never really got to see who was apart of that charge which made the eventual moment when we discovered their identity rather underwhelming. The posse was presented as this mysterious force that the pair could not evade no matter where they attempted to hide, and little did I know that would make up the vast majority of the plot. There of course were moments at the beginning and end that I enjoyed, such as the "knife or gun" fight and the big shootout at the finale. There were several other moments though that didn't really help the plot along or even keep my interest which I really thought hurt the overall pacing and entertainment value of the film. The sepia tone moments were irritating as well. I definitely get what the idea was, I just didn't care for it. I will say though that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid had a much more comedic vibe than I expected and the chemistry between Newman and Redford certainly made each scene that much better.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is another classic film that I can now cross off the list. It was an above average film but certainly not worthy of the legendary status that is often bestowed upon it. Don't get me wrong, you'll have an enjoyable time watching it, I'd just advise you to slightly lower your expectations before you do.
March 7, 2016
Redford and Newman at it again. If you don't love Butch and Sundance then you don't love cinema.
March 6, 2016
I literally cannot find a thing I didn't love about this film. Amazing characters, great story. By the end of the film I couldn't say who was my favorite out of the two main characters, as they seem to almost make up two parts of one, insanely cool protagonist, while at the same time standing on their own as really engaging individuals. The dialogue and acting work hand in hand to bring you closer to this outlaw duo as they evade capture and laugh in the face of authority.
This is a classic of cinematic filmmaking that should not be missed. The action and innuendo is so on point and engaging that it doesn't feel at all like it is as old as it really is, which makes it truly special.

In short: This movie fucking rules!