Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Reviews

October 13, 2016
There's not too much plausibility in this movie but it truly is a classic go-to for bank robbing movies, mostly because of how it established a certain chemistry between two protagonists that's very prevalent in modern movies of this sort. While I think there are scenes that should be cut out, there's more scenes that are just so tightly written, perfectly acted and timelessly crafted that are still surprising this many years later.
½ September 20, 2016
Known as a classic and based on a story of two bank robbers - Butch and the Sundance Kid. This is a mixture of everything. Known as a biographic western drama, but still filled with action, crime and also plenty of humor. The strongest part for me was the connection and chemistry Paul Newman and Robert Redford had on screen - very impressive and the snappy dialogues is beliveable. Oh, and that "Burt Bacharach - South American Getaway" song is hella cool.

I dig the script, I enjoy the acting and I like the story and the way it develops. It got some all right scenes - entertainment wise, but not all of them are strong. The problem is that there is too much in the mix here, so I don't get a total feel of either action, drama or humor. It's also too soft on many levels as well. OK classic, but it's not deserving it's place on the IMDB's top 250 list.

7 out of 10 shootouts.
½ September 11, 2016
Newman and Redford create a duo that simply remains unmatched in the history of film. Their stunning performances and chemistry make this movie a must-see for any western fanatic.
May 26, 2016
While the plot for this film is fairy thin, the chemistry between the two lead characters keeps the viewer entertained. The cinematography is very good and the final scene memorable, but the film seems too long and is poorly edited in places. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time, one of the greatest westerns of all time, and features a classic movie song. AAN 1001
May 8, 2016
Witty, funny script. Actors who can act. Gotta love it.
April 24, 2016
Quality film and a great chemistry between Newman and Redford
½ April 13, 2016
One of the greatest films in which nothing happens. Beautiful.
April 3, 2016
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" is a classic within its genre, but other westerns have aged better.
½ April 1, 2016
How is this a 93%??? I mean, it was okay. It had its moments... but, 93?!? FOH
April 1, 2016
Best buddy movie of all time.
I could do that. Could you do that?
How can they do that?
½ March 29, 2016
Newman and Redford's chemistry will seep out of the TV and onto the of your living room in "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid," William Goldman and George Roy Hill's love letter to the beautifully rustic charms of the American Old West. With an iconic score and an equally iconic slew of images, the film is sure to please both Western geeks and casual moviegoers alike. It's got sass, wit, blisteringly funny moments of levity, and a rightful place on the brighter side of film history.
March 13, 2016
If you've seen the Top Gear special where they travel through Patagonia then you'll remember all the references to Butch Cassidy. I had just finished watching that special so I decided that I couldn't put off watching this film any longer. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is often called one of the best films by several critics around the world, and while I get what they see in it, I don't think it was nearly as good as I expected it to be.

The cinematography in this film was nothing short of brilliant. I loved each shot of the cavalry chasing after the gang all the way to Bolivia. You never really got to see who was apart of that charge which made the eventual moment when we discovered their identity rather underwhelming. The posse was presented as this mysterious force that the pair could not evade no matter where they attempted to hide, and little did I know that would make up the vast majority of the plot. There of course were moments at the beginning and end that I enjoyed, such as the "knife or gun" fight and the big shootout at the finale. There were several other moments though that didn't really help the plot along or even keep my interest which I really thought hurt the overall pacing and entertainment value of the film. The sepia tone moments were irritating as well. I definitely get what the idea was, I just didn't care for it. I will say though that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid had a much more comedic vibe than I expected and the chemistry between Newman and Redford certainly made each scene that much better.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is another classic film that I can now cross off the list. It was an above average film but certainly not worthy of the legendary status that is often bestowed upon it. Don't get me wrong, you'll have an enjoyable time watching it, I'd just advise you to slightly lower your expectations before you do.
March 7, 2016
Redford and Newman at it again. If you don't love Butch and Sundance then you don't love cinema.
March 6, 2016
I literally cannot find a thing I didn't love about this film. Amazing characters, great story. By the end of the film I couldn't say who was my favorite out of the two main characters, as they seem to almost make up two parts of one, insanely cool protagonist, while at the same time standing on their own as really engaging individuals. The dialogue and acting work hand in hand to bring you closer to this outlaw duo as they evade capture and laugh in the face of authority.
This is a classic of cinematic filmmaking that should not be missed. The action and innuendo is so on point and engaging that it doesn't feel at all like it is as old as it really is, which makes it truly special.

In short: This movie fucking rules!
February 5, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time coming from a drama,comedy, and Romance from the original bromance of Paul Newman and Robert Redford!
February 3, 2016
More light hearted than I thought it would be. A few times it goes into a musical montage which felt odd from a modern viewing. The best part and the reason this holds up is Redford and Newman.
January 31, 2016
Great technical work from the start with the silent movie introduction and then the later telling of part of the story just with stills and song. It has a way of just drawing in as the movie-goer has to infer the story being told. Newman and Redford have great chemistry as the nortorious thieving duo being chased by a well-trained group repeatedly referred to as, "who are those guys?".
January 28, 2016
I see myself as an old soul. I like old music and old movies. I've always heard of this movie as one of the classics. However, I thought it was kind of a snooze fest. It was filled with montages and was just lacking in general excitement, laughs and wholeheartedness. I wasn't attached to the characters and it literally took me 3-5 days to finish watching this film on Netflix. There were times when I felt like giving up on it, but the last 10 minutes managed to merit the 2 stars given here.
January 26, 2016
Paul Newman gives a charismatic performance, which gives a lot of fun to watch this work that captive, makes you laugh, makes things tense and brings one of the best entertainment movies of all time.