Bye Bye Birdie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bye Bye Birdie Reviews

July 23, 2014
Ann-Margret, mmmmm. She's so beautiful in this, although of course she doesn't pass as a teenager for a second. The movie is pretty goofy, but fun for the most part. Some wacky characters, also some miscast ones as well, specifically Janet Leigh in that wig. Dick Van Dyke is just generally likable even if not a great actor. Some interesting if dated camera work. I actually liked some of the songs, something I don't tend to find with a lot of older musicals. Fun musical comedy.
March 24, 2014
This charming film will take you back to the innocents of that era.
January 27, 2014
Great entertainment!
½ January 18, 2014
This is a stupid and campy film wasting the talents of Dick van Dyke and Paul Lynde. And yeah its just to showcase Ann Margaret. Janet Leigh is not a convincing Hispanic and if she is actually Hispanic shes not convincing. I cant believe I'm saying this but the show is better. OH AND THEY BARLEY USE CONRAD BIRDIE HE'S RARELY IN IT!
December 15, 2013
This movie was great. The only problem I have with it, really, is the rating. I've noticed it's Rated G. Well, in my opinion, it should have been PG-13, or PG, at least. Because there is some sexual content in this movie, and not to mention talk about drinking. Either way, this WAS the 1960's, so I guess they're ratings were different back then. On top of all that, GREAT. ;) <3
½ September 18, 2013
A hilarious and fun musical for all ages.
July 31, 2013
AWESOME PAUL LYNDE IS SO FUNNY
July 22, 2013
If you have seen or read the original Broadway play, stay away from this movie.
June 10, 2013
Full of energy, laughs, and a star studded cast, Bye Bye Birdie is a fun filled musical that never stops being sincere.
½ April 11, 2013
Solo ver a la bomba Ann Margret vale el precio del alquler. Se come a toos los demás.
March 21, 2013
This movie is the best thing since the best thing since.
½ March 1, 2013
The next time I have a daughter...I hope it's a boy

A rock n' roll singer has been drafted by the army and is schedule to leave for the war soon. Ed Sullivan decides to have special for the singer in a small Ohio town. One lucky girl will be selected to be kissed by the singer as the singer unveils a new song on live TV. The town is split on if they should support or oppose the show. Some parents and leaders feel one way, but all the teenage girls will push hard for the show. How will the special turn out?

"I never asked for nothing."
"Nothing is what you'll get."

George Sidney, director of Viva Las Vegas, Anchors Aweigh, Show Boat, The Harvey Girls, Kiss Me Kate, and Free and Easy, delivers Bye Bye Birdie. The storyline for this picture is just okay and an obvious look at pop culture during this time period with an Elvis Presley spin. The acting was solid and the cast includes Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh, Ann-Margret, Paul Lynde, Jesse Pearson, Bobby Rydell, and Maureen Stapleton.

"One of those summers I worked in the circus. Those midgets...wild..."

Bye Bye Birdie recently aired on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I thought it was okay but a little too up beat and commercial for me. This is like a summer blockbuster from our generation, maybe like Transformers, that has flash and little substance. It was okay and some of the musical numbers were good but I wouldn't say this passes the test of time. My three year old daughter loved it though so I could be wrong.

"Put on a happy face."

Grade: B-
½ February 6, 2013
If you like typical musicals you should enjoy this, it's hard not to get swept up in the catchy tunes.
½ January 22, 2013
A rip-roaring good time. Innocent 60s musical!
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage. Can't remember.
October 23, 2012
This was cute and fun. A muscial number or two was a little hard to stomach, but I forgive it because others were lovely, and because Dick Van Dyke is so ridiculously adorable at all times.
October 20, 2012
Such a great cast and great songs!
September 10, 2012
This movie varies greatly from the play it was based on (the 1995 TV version is much closer). This version is sillier, more outlandish, and much less coherent. However, I wouldn't even have a problem with its idiotic plot (not even the moment where they drug the conductor of the Russian ballet on the Ed Sullivan show in the hopes of getting him to conduct REALLY FAST so the dancers dance REALLY FAST so there's enough time for Conrad Birdie to sing) if the musical numbers were fun and energetic. But despite this musical reprising some of its Broadway cast and being made during the heyday of musicals... the musical numbers in this kind of suck. The singing is off, the sound mixing is terrible, the choreography is bizarre, and most have zero energy. My two favorite songs, "Put On a Happy Face" and "A Lot of Livin' To Do," are great fun, but this version offers me the most lackluster versions of these two I have EVER seen. With a weak plot and weak songs, there's very little I can recommend about Bye Bye Birdie. Believe it or not, the TV version with Jason Alexander and Vanessa Williams is far superior. At least that one enjoyed its musical numbers.
September 2, 2012
horrible suger sweet farce
September 2, 2012
Such a charming slice of 1960s pop culture. Everything about this movie is delightful: the actors, production design, costumes, songs, choreography. It all hails back to a more innocent time. Loved the jokes and the one-liners.