Bye Bye Birdie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bye Bye Birdie Reviews

August 7, 2012
Its silly, yes. Its ridiculous, yes. But Bye Bye Birdie is vibrant and fun. And Ann Margaret is wonderful.
½ July 13, 2012
Didn't really get the appeal, as it seemed to be more making fun of the whole Elvis craze rather than celebrating it, but there were a couple of decent songs I guess.
July 11, 2012
Incredibly dated musical bettered by its impressive cast and catchy show tunes.
June 19, 2012
Love the musical score for the Broadway show, but this movie misses a lot of that charm.
May 28, 2012
awful and poorly casted.
May 23, 2012
The music isn't very memorable, but Bye Bye Birdie is a pretty funny parody of the Elvis craze.
May 13, 2012
Ann Margaret actually was good in this
½ April 25, 2012
A classic...but the remake was slightly better.
April 10, 2012
although i dont really like ann margret its decien enough
April 5, 2012
this is the play im in now (2007) i played ursala
March 3, 2012
Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!!!
February 29, 2012
Bye Bye Birdie, yes it is dated, yes it is of it's time. Not too heavy on storyline, but then not to sugary either. Fun! More Nostalgia, less Neuralgia!!
February 12, 2012
There are some great songs, but the story is all over the place and it never really has a focus. The Birdie character is non-existent throughout. Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh are amazing together. One of those 60s musicals that feels like a 60s musical.

Grade: B-
December 24, 2011
Weak story and unmemorable songs.
½ November 24, 2011
It's got good songs and some good acting, but the dated 60s vibe ruins this one for me. I mean, it has not aged well at all.

That said, I always loved the part at the end of Telephone Hour when all the teenagers turned into watercolors and melted off the screen. Like, wtf?
November 22, 2011
Paul Lynde is great in this very funny.
November 12, 2011
Bye Bye Birdie is a tuneful, engaging, perky, mixed bag of charm and cheesy retro fun. It is not a classic movie musical, its humor is corny, the filming is pedestrian, the cutting edge animation and green screen effects look horribly dated and the story is a paint by numbers dull plot with very low stakes. The 100% rating on RT is way high for my money, but this is still a pleasant wallow in nostalgia and innocence

Birdie captures a moment in pop culture that I lived through, when the Ed Sullivan show was the most watched entertainment event of the week, watched by the whole family every Sunday night. I mourn that there are not cultural experiences shared by multiple generations. Now everyone goes off to watch their own stuff on cable and computer and there are no shared experiences in pop culture -except maybe American Idol type competitions. This was also a time when Elvis Presley's hips were threat to America's purity. That really does seem like the stone age.

Bye Bye Birdie's assets: 1. A mostly sparkling cast, with the luminous and sexy Anne-Margaret and high octane charm of Dick Van Dyke doing what he does best. As Dad, a brilliantly cast supporting player Paul Lynde reprising his Broadway role, which he totally owns. He knocks each comedy line out of the park.

2. Wall to wall tuneful, witty songs,by Strouse and Adams that are the really the point of this enterprise. These include 'Put on a Happy Face', and 'Kids', songs that are still remembered. Still, the composers don't get rock and roll, and when they try to write Elvis style tunes they utterly miss the mark, but it doesn't matter. The resulting cheese is still edible.

Try to fast forward through the horrible over the top Jewish mother character and subplot played by normally excellent actress Maureen Stapleton and don't get too caught up in the details, the story is full of holes. That said, this is good fun, and you really can watch it with the whole family, if your kids are open to goofy retro cheese that kind of overstays its welcome in two plus hours.
October 20, 2011
BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963)
½ September 22, 2011
A very fun, if light, musical with strangely strong sexual undertones.
½ September 8, 2011
I have seen it...but i really don't know how I feel about. But I like all the actors in it.