Camelot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Camelot Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
Released just four years after Disney's The Sword in the Stone, this Warner Brothers production based on the Broadway musical about King Arthur and Guenevere feels like Richard Harris's Arthur is the animated Disney youth grown up complete with dream like memories of being taught about "the birds and the bees" by Merlin in the forest. Of course both share the source material of T.H. White's The Once and Future King series of novels. Based on this movie I don't have a very high opinion of Lerner's book and lyrics or Loewe's music. It is full of lavish costumes and sets that make for pure fantasy, but the music is awfully repetitive with what seemed like half of the total lyrics being simply the title word Camelot. This ideal place. Camelot. This dream-like Kingdom. Camelot. This castle of love and right. Camelot. Oh, Camelot! Where IS the round table and these other chivalrous knights?! Richard Harris's King Arthur is annoyingly petulant. Vanessa Redgrave's Guenevere is regal, yet also clearly a flower child of the 60s embracing free love. David Hemmings's Mordred is also a mop-haired rebel youth angry at the older generation, who fits better in the 60s counterculture than in the Middle Ages. Lionel Jeffries's King Pellinore, the maimed former King from the original myths, supplies goofy comic relief. The Italian Franco Nero plays the supposedly French Lancelot fairly well. He fights King Arthur. He pledges his full support to King Arthur. He falls in love with Guenevere. He jousts. He is an impossibly good-looking heartthrob, but his singing was dubbed by someone else named Gene Merlino. It was a horrible chore to sit through this three hour boring musical adaptation.
½ July 7, 2016
The cinematography is well-done, but I didn't like anything else in this version of Camelot. None of the songs are good or even memorable, the acting is hammy, and the humor is surprisingly inappropriate. It's not a musical worth seeing. (First and only viewing - 6/29/2016)
September 19, 2014
I find it hard not to love "Camelot," an epic, brassy, conventional yet exquisitely crafted old-fashioned musical. Not only does it tackle romantic woes better than its edgier contemporaries--it lacks, for one, the self-conscious awkwardness of "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice"--it gives us stylish decor, masterful performances, and some of the best music ever to transition from Broadway to Hollywood. And it does so with great gusto and dynamism, thanks to the adaptation of Alfred Newman. But "Camelot" is most powerful when viewed as a fictional parallel to the state of Hollywood in 1967--one man ("producer" Jack Warner in real life, King Arthur in the movie) is trying to hold onto the beautiful dream of a once-glorious dreamland (Old Hollywood and Camelot). Maybe it didn't change the landscape of cinema the way "Bonnie and Clyde" or "The Graduate" did, but it does its part to preserve a wonderful tradition, and is a more-than-worthy addition to that canon.
½ March 22, 2014
A musical about how King Arthur met Guinevere and lost her. I love this movie and even named my daughter Guinevere. It is sad that their love ended the way it did but unfortunetly that still holds true today that best friends can take what is yours.
August 25, 2013
Waaaay too long. Should be edited down to 90 minutes. Last hour is good.
July 20, 2013
"Camelot"... is not my favorite musical. Lacking memorable music and enjoyable characters, all that this film can really offer are some impressive visuals. I liked Richard Harris as King Arthur and Vanessa Redgrave was lovely as Guenevere, but the rest was forgettable. I know that the film is old but everything seemed like it would have been outdated at the film's preview. The jousting sequence was awesome and there was nice chemistry between the leads, but I was left thinking that I have little desire to ever see this on stage (or on the screen again). Merlin was particularly underused and unimpressive. Perhaps the most amazing thing about the film is how little I have to say about a movie whose 3-hour runtime dreadfully felt like 3 hours. "Camelot" is an interesting story but its portrayal is anything but interesting.
May 7, 2013
ehh an ok musical. Came at the decline of musical films in the late 1960s.
½ April 27, 2013
Sometimes felt silly and I kept wondering when the Knights of the Roundtable would start dancing.
March 31, 2013
This is an incredible musical and love story. Don't know why everyone is so critical of it.
March 24, 2013
it was an okay with a few good songs
February 5, 2013
King Arthur gets the musical treatment in this adaptation of the stage play of the same name. For a 3 hour movie, there are not a lot of songs and most of them are forgettable. I did like Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave. The production is beautiful and the story we all know. It's not the worse musical, but it isn't one of the best either. I say see it if you want to, but it is not required.

Grade: B-
January 26, 2013
PAINFUL. Listen to the soundtrack but for goodness sakes only watch this 1 time if you absolutely MUST understand the plot. Have your knitting or something because as a film, THIS STINKS. There are awkward periods where for like 3 minutes in a row the camera is just zoomed in on one person's face while they sing. The translation to film is absolutely horrible.
January 23, 2013
Why cast Vanessa Redgrave and Richard Harris over Julie Andrews and Richard Burton? Did you WANT the movie to suck?
January 1, 2013
A classic above all classics!
½ January 1, 2013
Give an extremely talented actor a corny line and it will still sound corny. That being said it is a very beautiful film.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ November 12, 2012
Should be torrid, but instead is disappointingly bland, perhaps in part due to the lackluster musical source of the adaptation.
October 20, 2012
This is a lot of fun if you're a teenage girl, but the highly stage bound and rather indifferent direction by Joshua Logan just about kills it. It doesn't help that none of the three leads is quite right; two can't sing and one is dubbed. Harris and Nero get away with it, barely. Redgrave doesn't.
½ July 30, 2012
Long, dull and a terrible musical.
June 16, 2012
How sin always seems to get in the way of our idealism, or at least it will until "That Day" (St. John of the Apocalypse).