Camille Reviews

• Jul 06, 2019

Greta Garbo is fantastic and glamorous in this lavish melodrama.

Greta Garbo is fantastic and glamorous in this lavish melodrama.

• Mar 23, 2019

Camille is one greatest classic romantic drama movie of all times.

Camille is one greatest classic romantic drama movie of all times.

• Dec 05, 2017

Gorgeous film with unique Greta Garbo in the lead role as the sick, extravagant and doomed Marguerite. I haven't read the novel but I feel this adaptation is good and rich. There are no obvious inconsistencies which is the case of most movie adaptations since they have to cut large portions of novels in order to fit into the allotted screen time. The whole film is like one great sadness, and it gets more sad and somber as it progresses until the final heart-breaking scene.

• May 13, 2016

martin.hillstad@gmail.com

martin.hillstad@gmail.com

• May 05, 2016

I had actually never seen a Greta Garbo movie before checking this "classic" romance film out, unfortunately I did not feel the same as the apparently strong critical and audience consensus on this film. I felt it was just abominably melodramatic and and uninteresting. Garbo plays a poor girl who has made it in Parisian society in the 1840's, and her "official" relationship is with a super rich Baron that she doesn't really care about. Her passions are in a younger, better looking poor guy that she constantly strings along while he doggedly stays loyal to his love for her. The film feels like it simply repeats the same scenario over and over again, with Garbo looking confused as to what she should do and Taylor looking ridiculously dedicated no matter what. The movie goes for the whole "break out the tissues" ending too, which feels calculated to make middle aged women swoon. This is really the 1936 version of our modern chick flick, which typically features a relationship that really shouldn't be pursued at all, but that for some reason the filmmakers want us to root for. No thanks.

• Mar 23, 2016

Greta Garbo (I'm not objective in the slightest here, because she's my favourite actress ever) is astonishing as The Lady of the Camellias in this, the most well-known cinematic rendition of Alexandre Dumas' tragic story. In comparison to the 1921 silent version, Cukor's a much better director, though Rudolph Valentino's better as Armand Duval. Both versions are intriguingly different, and Henry Daniell's just great as the villainous Baron. Essential viewing, especially for fans of Garbo and classic tearjerker films.

• . . Super Reviewer
    Nov 30, 2015

The outstanding feature of this film is Garbo's performance, in which she considers every moment, and represents unsentimentally the ambiguity and the impossible fate of a woman of whom society disapproves, as they are making use of her. Despite her beauty, style, wit and wisdom, this woman can never form part of polite society and what's more, because she is mutually and deeply in love with a promising and younger man, she must perish. There are many other good performances in the film, the script is well put together. But contrast the eloquence and depth of Garbo in this, compared with some of the more modern shells of this classic tale. As a role model, no one would dream of mentioning the flaws in Garbo's beauty or her age. A must see for young women in case they think that things are very different today; maybe think of it as a kind of vaccination. And most of all, to observe an actress of real intelligence and power, physically slim and strong, and carrying the film as if it were effortless for her. The super-ornate sets and costumes, and Garbo's perfect makeup, don't go astray either.

• Oct 23, 2015

A truly tragic romance brought alive on screen by the undeniable charisma & talent of Greta Garbo. The story of young love in an unforgettable time in Paris but despite financial set backs & family disapproval they continue to strive on. The third act of the film is truly the most tragic & conveyed so truthfully on screen. A must see for Romance Lovers & Classic Film Enthusiasts. Garbo is a force to be reckoned with on screen.

• Sep 24, 2015

Garbo really steals the show in the adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas novel. There's a pretty strong supporting cast including Henry Daniell and Lionel Barrymore, but Garbo just shines in this film. Otherwise it's a good adaptation of the book despite having to dance around central plot points because of the Production Code.

• Aug 02, 2015

Moderately entertaining at first and incredibly dated, but 2/3 of the way in in Greta Garbo rips your heart right out of your chest and never lets it go again! D''''''8 > Bravo!