Captain America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captain America Reviews

½ October 6, 2016
I remember watching this the first time on TV around 1980, it was horseshit then too...
August 21, 2016
Perhaps the greatest precursors to the Winter Soldier. I really lucked out finding this gem at my local Target store. Captain America circa 1979 destroys the new Marvel films and Reb Wilson owns Captain American so much more then Chris Evans ever will!
½ February 3, 2016
A long true TV try at a superhero origin story, it's not particularly impressive but it tells the story straight. Unfortunately, the Cap' America action is pretty minimal, and the costume doesn't come along until the final 30 minutes. The characters are stocky, the plot is bland, and the thrills are made for TV. The little bit of camp helps out a otherwise dull superhero movie.
May 25, 2015
why is this movie even made
November 16, 2014
Very cheesy, but still fun.
August 1, 2014
Very bad tv movie that changes more about the character than it keeps. The acting is bad, the plot is worse, and the fact that they spend almost 20min of the movie watching cap on a motorcycle makes it boring as well.
March 11, 2014
Steve Rogers (Reb Brown) is a brave motor-cross rider saved by scientists who inject him with a newly developed serum. Developed by his late father, the FLAG (Full Latent Ability Gain) super serum enhances Rogers' senses, reflexes and gives him superior strength to rise to any challenge and battle the forces of evil. Retro-fitting his own van and incorporating a modified motorcycle with a rocket thrust, jet boost and optional hang-glider, Captain America is entrusted by a government agency to suit up and wield his mighty shield against the manyenemies that threaten the free world.

also stars Dan Barton, Len Birman, June Dayton, Steve Forrest, Susan French, Alex Hyde-White, James Ingersoll and Chip Johnson.

directed by Rod Holcomb.
July 19, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. Reb Brown really fits the character of Captain America. Although its a different story from the comic book, it was a nice alternative.
½ August 21, 2012
Boring but the costume looks hilarious
½ May 1, 2012
Now before you say anything let me just say, yes this is all true, Before the 2011 Captain America movie, there was a 1990 movie a lot of you have heard of and before that there was a 1979 movie and it's sequel and before that, there was a 1944 black and white version but yeah thank god the 1990 and the 2011 adaptations stayed more true to the comics. This is the abominable 1979 version. What's wrong with this this movie? I'll tell you what's wrong with this movie! This is a Captain America movie right? RIGHT! and they got everything about this character wrong. He's not fighting the Nazis that's Strike 1, It's not taking place in WW2 that's Strike 2, His whole origins story is completely wrong that's Strike 3 because in the comics he was tested for an experiment and here he was given the serum to have his life saved-WHAT BULLSHIT! His costume is the absolute cheapest looking ever like he got it from a charity shop or a local supermarket I mean they did have a costume designer for this movie right? I mean the Chris Evans costume had some credibility to look more realistic but I'll say that the 1990 movie was waaaaaaaaay more realistic than this! That's Strike 4! The action scenes lack any potential and this movie is so boring and tedious that I'd rather listen to this than watch it. Captain America (1979) gets a 0/10 and it's placing it nicely. If you thought some of these modern crap were bad, well you haven't seen these. And I can't believe they actually made a sequel to this. Oh my god I hate my life!
April 22, 2012
Holy Cow. And I thought the Nick Fury movie was bad? It's got nothing on this 1979 version of Captain America. But it's glorious. Acting Titan Reb Brown stars as the beach bum, water color loving Steve Rodgers who after two nearly fatal car accidents is injected with the F.L.A.G. serum transforming him into Super Soldier Captain America. He has super senses, super strength, a pretty rockin' van, and a seriously jet assisted motorcycle. AND he's going to spend most of this film's run time driving around on the bike or driving around in his van or driving around in his helicopter. Eventually he's going to jump real high and punch a goon or two. But the gems come from Brown's crazy stilted performance and when he "jams Captain America down their throats." Uh. He loves jamming. VF.
January 27, 2012
Everything about this movie is wrong... I mean, they even screw up the colors of the US flag - they made it red, blue and transparent :D
½ January 20, 2012
CAPtain America coming out at the end of the 70s ? and a tv movie to boot, well its gotta be inspired, by what was on, and thats what you get, its trully bad at times C America himself, played by Reb Brown trully awfull. everything bad about this, and his suit, oh god
½ December 20, 2011
I'd expect a movie about Captain America to be at least fun or exciting but this movie was dull & at times I had to stop myself from falling asleep.The acting was terrible & I couldn't help but laugh.I wanted to give up on Captain America but I didn't.I guess I was hoping it would get better but never did.The thing I found most annoying was that you have to wait till the end till you get to see Captain America in his costume & he's only in it twice
November 16, 2011
So basically they tried to recapture The Incredible Hulk's lightning in a bottle success by turning Cap into an ex marine who travels around in a van a la A Team and helps people out. He's not a scrawny wimp made strong by a super serum and he didn't start out in the 40's only to be frozen and thawed out. A total reworking of the character that doesn't work.
½ August 1, 2011
Pelicula hecha para television (piloto de una serie que gracias a Dios jamas despego) basada en el famoso superheroe de Marvel Comics. De la historia original de los comics, queda muy poco (ni siquiera el traje del Capitan ni los villanos) y la historia es menos que intersante. Por favor, evitese a toda costa.
July 24, 2011
Pretty awful made-for-TV movie version of the comic book. This version significantly changes the Captain America origin story, which really doesn't bother be, but if you're going to change it at least make it interesting. Besides being incredibly boring, my other main complaint is that he doesn't even put on the costume until the last half hour of the movie. I suppose this would be excusable if this were the pilot episode for a TV series (which they may have been). Still, even as a TV pilot, this was pretty lame. At least once he put on the costume the movie had some camp value.
½ July 23, 2011
Would have been stronger had Rogers been less of a lady.
July 18, 2011
My god man. For a superhero movie, it would help if the guy acted a little like a superhero. Captain America spends the entire movie whining and there's almost no action.
July 16, 2011
I guess there is a reason why Marvel was never that big on movies back then. Last night, I was fortunate enough to watch next Captain America movie from 1979. Need less to say, I wished I didn't see this travesty of a film.

Captain America appeared in two 1979 live-action television movies that aired on CBS: Captain America, which aired January 19, 1979, and Captain America II: Death Too Soon, which aired November 23, 1979, both starring Reb Brown in the title role. The character differs significantly from the comics in both his origin and his operations. For instance, Steve Rogers is a character in contemporary times whose father was a 1940s government agent. The very patriotic attitude of Steve's father earned him the nickname Captain America, and his father is spoken of as having been murdered.

This movie was flat-out dull as shit, the acting from all of the actors seemed stale, and you hardly see any action from Captain when it came to fighting the bad guys. Over all, I give the 2 outta 5 stars mainly because the ploy was okay and there were just tidbits of fighting scenes that were not bad. Any who, that's my Cap review for this week so tune in next time as I prepare myself to watch and review the second to last Cap movie that makes Batman & Robin look like an Academy masterpiece.