Carny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carny Reviews

February 6, 2016
Terrific dark comedy-drama about the relationship between three people in a low-end travelling carnival.
A small movie featuring terrific performances from Busey, Robertson and Foster (who sizzles).
A modern American classic.
December 30, 2011
.When I was a kid I remember going to the traveling carnival when it had its oddities & side shows. It was sorta like a surreal nightmare w/ rides. They even had the clown that used to hurl insults @ the patrons in the dunk tank. I remember watching him in awe wanting someone to dunk him because I felt like he had it coming. In Carny Gary Busey has a meaty role of the man in the cage where danger is ever present when you are goating the piss out of the customers. It's multifaceted & engrossing. In fact the entire underbelly of the carny world is. I would actually rate this one a little higher but it loses it's way in the last 25 minutes or so & in turn feels a bit long in the tooth. A under-appreciated little gem otherwise
½ December 29, 2011
robbie was kinda hot back in the day lol
August 15, 2011
After a long hunt finally got to watch it
4/5
June 15, 2011
A moderately entertaining behind-the-scenes carnival film. I didn't much care for the ending though.
April 12, 2011
Frankie (Gary Busey) and Patch (Robbie Robertson) work in a traveling carnival, hustling the locals for money and a few one-night stands. Along comes Donna (Foster) who literally decides to run away and join the circus. Naturally, tensions build between the longtime friends. While the last quarter of the film doesn't exactly line up with the rest, there's still some good characters and atmosphere to enjoy.
March 10, 2011
Mankind in a microcosm but more honest than the real world.
½ November 8, 2010
Gary Busey being crazy, type casting.
October 26, 2010
A perculiar story which is forgettable.
½ June 23, 2010
a B picture and it wouldn't be being done today if it was thought up. Not worth looking for though not all that great
½ June 21, 2010
A rough and sincere little B-picture that contains some gripping performances and captures the pathos of carnival life. Busey isn't too crazy here, although you can see why he might've cracked so hard, and Robertson plays the straight man to his clown. Foster is the real treasure though, showing real charisma and a budding sexual power that is never exploited, but explored in an interesting (if not groundbreaking or unusual) way.

This is also one of the better color discs I've seen from the Warner Archive, with a decent digital transfer and no distractingly fuzzing reds. Carny would make a fine double feature with either Todd Browning's classic Freaks (1932) or the little-seen Splinterheads (2009).
½ February 21, 2010
People Have compared ths to taxi driver??? I must see this classic allso.. I should And Will Make a list of classic I want to see ....
September 20, 2009
Still a great flick, with an amazing supporting cast. Robbie Robertson is convincingly two-faced opposite a self-destructive Gary Busey, and Robertson of course delivers a great soundtrack. Elisha Cook Jr. seems to be only marginally sane, and one wishes his character had his own movie. The 'R' rating seems excessive, as the lesbianism and gender-bending is largely handled as just another sideshow element to be exploited or used as a tool of exploitation. Jodie Foster gives a great performance, despite having unsurprisingly poor chemistry with Busey's manic persona.
½ July 30, 2009
You have to be in the right mood to watch this. Robertson does a credible acting job. Strange story line. Gary Busey showing some early brain damage even before he cracked his head in a motorcycle fall.
½ September 25, 2008
Odd yet interesting.
September 14, 2008
always in my fav fav movie category
February 13, 2008
The Ricky Welker story
½ January 17, 2008
odd film (not necessarily a bad thing), but a little muddled and muddy. foster was quite the looker back then, but, a slightly below average film.
December 29, 2007
really good story line. plus i love anything that jody foster is in. she is a wicked actor and a an extremely hot femme fatale
½ October 28, 2007
Bloody scary movie, the memory of this film still haunts me, creepy.