Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

½ September 14, 2016
Terrible acting about Sissy Spacek, scrreaming.
September 13, 2016
Rather than in today's standards, shooting up a school because of the terrorizing bullies in school, we have a girl who rather uses telekinesis to have her revenge. The acting is stunning, the story is insane, and most notably the film is one of the most memorable horrors of all time. It shows the disturbing side of Christianity, how that affects a child's self esteem, and what a child is capable of when they finally snap. In this case telekinesis, but in a real world we have shootings. It's very relatable to this kids and because no one cares to really listen to children like these, bad things happen.
September 9, 2016
This is probably my least favourite of De Palma's great films, primarily because I'm not very fond of the source material. There are some fairly central plot points that don't really make a lot of sense. Nancy Allen and John Travolta start to execute their plan to embarrass Carrie at the prom before she has accepted Tommy's invitation to the prom. They couldn't have known she was going. Their plan involves putting a bucket in the rafters of the gym several days before the prom, before the gym has even been decorated, and hoping nobody notices it. Silly silly stuff. That said, it feels like De Palma's audition for bigger things, and it's a magnificently constructed film. Every detail of the prom sequence is meticulously crafted. Apart from the silly, unnecessary last minute stinger, I have no complaints about how he made this film. I just prefer it when he exercises his talents on more personal material.
½ September 6, 2016
8-26-2016. 2nd rating: 8-24-2013 (8/10).
September 5, 2016
I once saw a community theater put on this production as a musical, believe it or not. And honestly, I prefer the musical. A put upon kid gaining powers and taking revenge on her classmates is something that almost every kid who went to public school can relate to. Add a religious zealot of a mother and you've got a very poor life for this kid all around.

However, there's just something about this film that feels wrong. Some characters change motivations on a dime and don't get me started on the lack of development most of these people get. Not only that, but the effects haven't aged well, like at. Even compared to similar type movies of that era. Oh well, maybe hat little theater on Broad and Fifth will do a revival and I can see a more enjoyable psycho teen show.
July 17, 2016
The best movie ever made about a school shooting.
July 9, 2016
One of the most disturbing films to ever grace the cinemas. And I'm not easily disturbed.
July 2, 2016
Carrie is possibly the best thriller horror movie ever with Sissy Spacek's performance that is the best one i've ever seen,a brilliant script,great actors,satisfying climax and falling action Carrie is a all-stops-out-scare show that is a bone-chilling classic in the decade of the 70's and cinematography history.
½ June 1, 2016
Parts of it stand out, otherwise the film is easily passable, but it does remain memorable and frightening. The characters are thinly developed, and the plot is mostly dull. We do get a thrilling climax and a suspenseful ending, with a eerie atmosphere.
½ May 20, 2016
I hadn't seen this in ages so it was nice to revisit it as I barely remembered it. Strong direction and excellent acting make this a better than usual horror film. The only thing that didn't work for me was the score, but it's certainly worth watching.
April 30, 2016
It is not hard to see why Carrie is considered a horror classic, but it simply was not for me. Sissy Spacek did a great job portraying the bullied teen and getting the audience to feel sympathy for her, but the prom scene is truly ludicrous and her ability is so out of left field and poorly utilized that it left me laughing more than anything. The film crafts a creepy atmosphere and builds up only to abandon all fears and horror moments and replace it with some girl throwing stuff around a room with her mind. Interesting. The film may also be one of the most sexist films around thanks its portrayal of women throughout and the five minute opening of watching girls focus more on caressing their breasts than just washing the damn things. I am straight, but it was a little much even if titillating. Overall, Carrie does not really deliver much in the way of thrills when Carrie is at school. At home, it demonstrates why this film is a classic with truly chilling and horrific scenes taking place there. Otherwise, it is just a touch too odd for me.
April 27, 2016
Boasting terrific performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie in the leading mother-daughter duo and fine assistance from an esteemed supporting cast, Carrie brings Stephen King's literary masterpiece to the big screen with a fascinating examination of child abuse, religious fanaticism, social isolation, supernatural abilities, high school bullying and the anxieties of developing into an adolescent.
April 24, 2016
Scariest... in that decade, because in this decade, this is a shit!
April 22, 2016
Classi horror film. I can't believe I never saw this film in the past...
April 10, 2016
5 words: One hell of a classic!
April 3, 2016
watching the remake reminded me how great the original was
March 16, 2016
Brian DePalma's disturbing touch combined with a riveting onscreen battle between Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie brings to life Stephen King's classic horror novel of bullying and supernatural revenge.
½ March 3, 2016
Pretty damn scary, not only for the supernatural elements, but also for the fact that Carrie is allowed to grow up in such a horrible environment with a psycho mother and bullying classmates.
½ January 29, 2016
This review won't be long since I reviewed the newer version. The original Carrie is considered a horror masterpiece but I couldn't really get there in terms of calling it a classic. This was better than the newer one but it was just hard to watch sometimes because of the brutal things that the kids did to Carrie. I guess that's the point of the movie but I guess it's the premise that I don't really care for. I can see why people like it so much and I'm not saying its a terrible movie or anything, it's just not my taste. C-