Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

½ March 3, 2016
Pretty damn scary, not only for the supernatural elements, but also for the fact that Carrie is allowed to grow up in such a horrible environment with a psycho mother and bullying classmates.
½ January 29, 2016
This review won't be long since I reviewed the newer version. The original Carrie is considered a horror masterpiece but I couldn't really get there in terms of calling it a classic. This was better than the newer one but it was just hard to watch sometimes because of the brutal things that the kids did to Carrie. I guess that's the point of the movie but I guess it's the premise that I don't really care for. I can see why people like it so much and I'm not saying its a terrible movie or anything, it's just not my taste. C-
January 15, 2016
i'm a huge fan of horror but i don't like the story of Carrie since it is just too depressing for me but i would recommend it for another horror fan
January 4, 2016
i want to see this mostly because someone once said that i look like sissy spacek...
December 28, 2015
Carrie is my favourite film of all time. Viewed over 120 times it retains its power due to the great performances, especially from Spacek, and the visually arresting direction of Brian De palma. A sublime film. One to see again and again.
December 23, 2015
I Dont know Why i Didnt REALLY liked this
December 21, 2015
The 1976 adaptation of the Stephen King novel Carrie is a terrifying, disturbing and groundbreaking horror classic. There's something about it, whether in the timeless quality of its 70s aesthetic, it's confronting harshness, Sissy Spacek's incredible performance, or a combination of all three, that is so powerfully unnerving and bone-chilling. Not surprisingly, Carrie is probably mainly remembered for its iconic 'pigs blood' scene, with the rest of the movie as build up to this moment. And while in many ways the film does directly lead to this definitive event, the entire film is so wrought with wonder and suspense, and the character study on Carrie White is so intriguing that the first two acts never drag or feel like filler. The ultimate payoff though IS very rewarding, and the prom sequence, as well as its aftermath, is genuinely terrifying. Stylistically, Carrie's visual aesthetic is so rich and engrossing, and the events unfold at a very focused, fast and perfect pace. My favourite aspect of Carrie though, is Sissy Spacek. Spacek's performance in this movie is so affecting and convincing, and beyond Carrie's discovery of her telekinesis, Spacek does an incredible job of portraying a severely shy, anxious and troubled young girl. Her reactions to social encounters and situations are so believable, increasing the emotional weight of the ultimate tragedy that befalls her. The dynamic with her mother, played expertly by Piper Laurie, is also extremely well acted and unsettling. Carrie is a horrifying and confronting look at teenage cruelty, loneliness and longing through the lens of an expertly crafted and affective horror film. The film's detailed script and De Palma's sensitive direction really make you care for Carrie and want to see her be happy, and when the bucket inevitably drops, it's as devastating and heartbreaking as a horror film gets.
December 13, 2015
Carrie is a terrifying and heartbreaking portrait of the cruelty outsiders face from the popular people. The first hour of the movie seems pretty normal, but it's only at the end you realize the little things throughout the film build to a horrifying finale.
December 8, 2015
It's good but then it becomes the opposite, not absolutely terrible but I guess I just don't like it that much. Hell when was the last time I gave a horror more than 3.5 stars. At least I didn't bother with the remake. This is much more how horror should be but like I said it's hard for me to appreciate horror.
November 30, 2015
High school is its own special kind of hell. I personally enjoyed it, staying quiet around people I didn't know very well, circling myself with a small group of friends I'm still close with; but I know of the loners, the miserables who never fit in and therefore never got a chance to know the joys of being young and carefree.
I distinctly remember a guy in my grade, chubby and prepubescent much longer than most, being endlessly teased by the jocks who found his weight, his pretentious and high-pitched manner of speech, something to make fun of. I was always nice to him, never mocking. I felt bad for him when he asked a quasi-popular girl to Winter Ball one year - she said yes, but the following week, the chatter about her immediately ditching him for her group of friends surrounded Spanish class for an amount of time that I'm sure felt like years to him.
Bullying is not uncommon in teenage youth, and the number of victims is startling. But even worse is the aggregation of bullies who don't realize just how cruel they're being. They forget about the person they're targeting's feelings, preferring to use them as a punching bag for their own sadistic enjoyment. For the bullied, sticks and stones would be much more desirable of a torture than lashings of words. Throughout their schooling, the chances of standing up for themselves weren't there; decades later, they look back at high school not with nostalgia but with the sigh of relief that follows a nightmare. One can only wish that telling kids who hate their teenage years that the misery will soon send was advice that actually worked.
1976's "Carrie," the first adaptation of a Stephen King novel, is touted as a classic horror movie. But to me, it signifies a fantastical reconfiguration of the popular "high school is hell" sentiment, a reality where the bullied get their comeuppance, where the bullies realize what awful people they are, but get the satisfaction and epiphanies whilst surrounded by death and carnage. Exaggerated, melodramatic, but highly efficacious.
Its titular protagonist is portrayed by a doe-eyed Sissy Spacek, who, during filming, was 27 but appears to be more virginal, more fragile than any movie teenager in cinema history. Picked on by the relentless Chris (Nancy Allen) and her reprobate cronies, no move she ever makes goes unnoticed - a simple glance in the wrong direction is seen as yet another leering bout from the school weirdo. Their evil comes to a head when Carrie embarrassingly gets her first period following gym class. Rather than help her in a humiliating time of need (though 18, she has no idea what's happening), they decide to throw tampons at her, surround her, chant insults at her, as she sinks in panic in the corner of the locker room.
Most would then have the ability to go home and talk their sorrows away with understanding parents. Not Carrie. Her mother (Piper Laurie) is a religious fanatic that is, in no doubt, on the brink of insanity, so controlled by what she thinks is "holy" that the news of Carrie's P.E. dishonor does not bring sympathy but abuse, as if she herself decided to become a woman and thereby sin in the eyes of her mother. The life of this poor girl is as close to resembling a living hell as anyone could experience. The only person who seems to care even a little bit about her well being is Miss Collins (Betty Buckley), the school gym teacher who sees a great deal of potential in the young woman.
If only she knew that Carrie, despite looking like a deer-in-headlights 24/7, possesses telekinetic powers that grow stronger the more emotional she becomes.
Her downcast life then briefly looks upward when one of the girls who harassed her in the locker room, Sue (Amy Irving), begins to feel remorse for her actions and reluctantly asks her hotshot date, Tommy (William Katt), to ask Carrie to prom and hopefully renew her in the views of the judgmental school. All seemingly goes well - Sue and Tommy are genuinely kind to Carrie - but when Chris and her cruel boyfriend (John Travolta) decide to rig prom court in order to inspire ultimate humiliation, Carrie may snap for good.
Spacek, Laurie (in Baby Jane form), Buckley, and Allen all give three-dimensional performances worthy of endless praise, but "Carrie" would certainly not have the same impact without Brian De Palma, a Hitchcockian stylist who, during his prime, specialized in thrillers inspired by the latter in seminal 1970s films such as "Sisters" and "Obsession." While most of his most popular films (especially "Dressed to Kill" and "Body Double") are adored for their evocative uses of cinematography (notably the utilization of the split-screen) and stylistic cues (slow motion, drawn-out tracking shots), "Carrie" is moving for its storyline, its style coming at an extremely close second.
But would it have the same strength without De Palma's artful eye? I don't think so. Little touches, such as the way he zooms in onto Nancy Allen's licking of her lips during the infamous prom scene, or the way much of the daytime scenes are drenched in a photographic fog that suggests a dream ready to turn into a nightmare, make the claustrophobic angst ready-to-break of the plot heighten to crushing extremes. His perceptive eye complements the already sinister tone of Stephen King's work. The performances flow similarly.
And so "Carrie" is horrific, yes, and it is disturbing. But I don't much think of it as being "terrifying," "scary," or whatever words are used to describe a typical horror movie. It is, simply, an onscreen warning, like in "Fatal Attraction" or "Basic Instinct," that it's better to be nice, mild-mannered, than to be out looking to cause a commotion. Because pot stirring can only lead to a prom night embroiled in flames, and we wouldn't want that.
½ November 27, 2015
Classic, affecting and effective fish-out-water and into the fire story. The visuals and visceral horror are compelling. Far superior to the blah remake. Hard to forget this film.
November 17, 2015
One of the five best and most influential horror films of all time.
November 13, 2015
Spacek is perfect as this character. It may not only be one of the best performances in horror, but in film.
Laurie's performance is so ridiculously one-dimensional and over the top, it has to be one of the worst characters in history.
Her mother is not a fundamentalist. She's a psychotic who would be out of place in any fundamentalist community imaginable.
Is this story worthy of 2 hours? Seems drawn out.
DePalma borrows heavily from Hitchcock.
Is there one sane person in this movie? Must be the gym teacher. William Katt made me hate Greatest American Hero, he was so evil. Did he know about the prank or not? It's unclear.
As stupid as it gets, it's always watchable, which is so rare these days.

"There are so few incidents that two extended sequences are rendered in slow-motion as if to pad out the running time..."
November 1, 2015
The P. E. detention scene has my favorite use of scoring for comedy.
October 28, 2015
It's a slow burn at the start and for a while it seems like a slightly off-kilter teen romance. You could see it ending with the bookish outcast emerging as the prom queen. But there are enough hints that this will never have a happy ending -- and it doesn't, with some of the more disturbing final minutes you will ever see.

Grade: B-
October 24, 2015
Carrie is another horror film that seems to have been good for its time but has since been ravaged by the ages, but in the case of this film, it's not as bad as it could have been. As good as it tried to be, however, it's not as good as critics might claim it to be. In my opinion, the main problem is that it attempts to be a blend of horror and teen drama, but it ends up being little more than a vapid teen drama with a bizarre horror scenario grafted onto it. That being said, the writers managed to do quite a bit with the supernatural horror element, mainly because they've given context to the obvious anger represented by the main character's telekinetic fits. A big criticism I have about the story is that it spends way too much time on the teen drama element, and to bad effect. This part of the story gets drawn out so much that it's practically boring, and this is especially a problem in the film's obligatory prom scene, which is drawn out longer than anything else in the movie. I get that the film is meant to be a supernatural portrayal of teen angst and high school cruelty, but it's not exactly a very convincing film, and the acting doesn't help. In fairness, the direction the film-makers went with isn't too bad, but it would probably have done far better if it weren't billed as a horror movie.
October 13, 2015
A vengeful, horrifying story with great performance from Spacek. One of the best horror movies of all time.
October 10, 2015
A great adaption of a great book.
October 8, 2015
One of the classic sci-fi horror flicks. Can be a little dated at parts, but overall a really great movie.
½ September 23, 2015
De Palma surprises us for his splendid choice of making a very delicate and emotionally involving drama from King's novel - with a magnificent direction, even if not so well edited - and he leaves the horror only for the tragic climactic explosion of blood and fury in the end.