The Cat and the Canary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cat and the Canary Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
The Cat and the Canary uses some good comedy to punch up the average haunted house style plot.
½ April 25, 2015
ok silent version of this 4x filmed tale
February 19, 2015
Very atmospheric horror for the first little while, but soon loses it's edge and almost becomes a farcial comedy. But I dig the special effects they were doing back in those days.
½ November 9, 2014
Universal's first "old dark house" movie, this film is pretty entertaining...but it isn't strictly a horror film. It is somewhat comedic actually. Stylistically, it did plenty for what would become Universal's signature style for horror over the next few decades. It's humor is one that you sort of feel like sound would be helpful, and luckily they did make a sound remake called "The Cat Creeps"...unfortunately it is a lost film. For Universal Horror and Old Dark House film fans, and silent film fans this is definitely recommended, even if it wasn't my favorite of any of the genres it happens to tick.
June 18, 2014
A primer for all 'Old Dark House' cinema--Amusing yet eerie silent haunted house romp masterpiece!!
January 14, 2014
1931's Frankenstein And 1931's Dracula Are Two Of My Favorite Films.
½ September 13, 2013
It was really interesting to see how many of the tropes and techniques used in this film from the 20's are still in use today. The film isn't nearly as dated as you would expect. It actually holds up pretty well.
½ September 23, 2012
watch out for the spooky hands!
March 21, 2012
Pretty entertaining haunted house story, with greedy relatives gathering for a reading of a will. It's an effective precursor to the Universal horror that comes to being with the advent of sound.
March 7, 2012
The Cat and the Canary is far from a masterpiece, however an old spooky dark house filled with eccentric characters trying to discover who the murderer is, all makes some good fun! I must say I was slightly dissapointed by the ending, I really wanted the spectacular spooky man to have been legitimate, however Universal hadn't quite got the horror swing yet... Still a very good movie though!
October 23, 2011
Lots of fuss over a will, manor and ghost. Well shot and creepy. Why don't directors use shadows anymore? It's cost effective and a question I constantly ask.
October 12, 2011
i think i have heard something about it ..
October 11, 2011
This was remade so often, it's hard to ignore.
May 9, 2011
SPOOKY and SCARY and FUNNY.

The main-title effect of the mysterious hands moving across the screen was used by Mario Bava in Lisa and the Devil.

The Long Dark Hallway with the Curtains Blowing was used by Dario Argento in Suspiria.

EXCELLENT FILM; with the most inventive title-cards around.
December 23, 2010
This isn't just one of those average murder mysteries where the family vies for the inheritance of the old man's will, it's actually got ghosts and a ghoulish hand creeping everyone out, and a guy who's on the look out for a maniac that escaped from the loony bin. This movie is creepy and funny, I enjoyed it, and I recommend it.
½ November 22, 2010
A different kind of horror film from the silent era. The uncle of a family dies and, 20 years later, the relatives come round to hear the will. They also have to spend the night in a dark house and contend with someone lurking about the place and an escaped lunatic. Quite a funny wee film (which is always a plus) with a sense of forboding common in films of the time.
½ November 15, 2010
Good for a silent movie... and scary to boot
½ November 14, 2010
An unpredictable classic with some remarkable artistic sensibility for its time.
October 30, 2010
Funny, creepy classic.
½ October 23, 2010
A silent horror classic from the studio that revolutionized the horror movie, Universal. One of the creepiest silent horror movies ever made. It has mystery as well as fright. A really good haunted house story. It's like a precursor to later horror movies like "Psycho" and several slasher movies