Cat People Reviews

• Sep 21, 2020

Paul Schrader's remake of Val Lewton's 1940s production of Cat People is a huge disappointment. Irena and Paul are siblings, reunited after being separated many years earlier. Irena is a virgin, celibate for reasons she has difficulty articulating. Paul is intent on pursuing an incestuous relationship with his sister for reasons he can explain, but just don't make much sense. And they both have the ability to turn into panthers. Lousy performances throughout are consistent with a lousy script filled with pointless and/or insanely awkward dialogue, such as the sage advice of "pretend the world is what men think it is." There is the obligatory gore, some attempts at suspense that are ruined by Giorgio Morodor's score, and some unintentional laughs. Check out the original and take a pass on this kitty litter.

• Aug 20, 2020

Plot is ludicrous but always compelling and had me at the edge of my seat; super cast from leads to supporting characters

• Aug 16, 2020

It may be too disturbing and strange for some, but with a gritty and provocative style, a solid direction, a well-crafted narrative and an unhinged lead performance from Natassja Kinski, it's a must-watch for horror enthusiasts.

• Mar 25, 2020

I think this film has an interesting style. Semi-art house, psycho sexual, thriller. Lurid and it is either intriguing or laughable. Which ever camp you fall into is fine. I felt this could have been close to a 90 minute movie. It kinda outstayed its welcome at the end. The music is perhaps somewhat better then the film. Instantly recognisable theme song by David Bowie! Fantastic. All in all, it might well be worth a watch. If only for the theme song. But there are better choices out there.

• Jan 11, 2020

In the past month, I've now watched four movies with "cat" in the title, and somehow, this is neither the most titillating (an honor that goes to FRITZ) nor the most horrifying (that would be the nightmare that is CATS), though it does score points for the all too brief Bowie/Moroder theme.

• Nov 11, 2019

Hilariously bad dialogue, but------ Natasha Kinski! Let me say that again, Natasha Kinski!

• Oct 03, 2019

I enjoyed watching the remake of cat people with amazing make-up effects,great cast and great theme song by David Bowie.

• Oct 29, 2018

A superb blend of eroticism and gore, far superior to the more highly rated Suspiria (Argento version) that I watched the night before. I felt that I was watching grown-up cinema, that didn't treat its beautiful actors as exploited, but rather showed all that was needed to advance a story that was inherently sunsual. Malcolm McDowell in particular elevates anything he appears in, no matter how trashy. But I didn't find this to be tawdry at all, but sincere, if absurd. Yes, the eye candy is spectacular. Nastassja Kinski, Annette O'Toole, John Heard, and Malcolm were all magnificently on display. I also found myself wondering about animals appearing in the film, and if their care standards were anything like what is required today. I certainly hope that zoo is out of operation.

• Jul 31, 2018

Paul Shrader is far better known as a writer (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull) but he has also directed a few films and Cat People is one of them. A remake of a 1942 film it tells of an old, ancient time when big cats(leopards to be specific) roamed the lands and humans sent their daughters as sacrifice to mate with them(it is shown more poetically than how I wrote). One such union results in the birth of siblings whom we follow in present day New Orleans. This is a strange film in that it can be classified as fantasy-erotic horror. The atmosphere is supreme and the early scenes in the ancient times are reminiscent of David Lynch's Dune. The acting by everyone from the gorgeous Natasha Kinski to the always sublimely crazy Malcolm Mcdowell to John Heard as the sole "normal "human being is good. This is a good, distinctive horror film.

• Jul 24, 2018