The Champ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Champ Reviews

May 18, 2010
Han er alltid en mester i sin lille guttens øyne.
½ May 18, 2010
Jon Voight is always a champion in his little boy's eyes.
May 15, 2010
Best performance by a child actor i have ever saw by a young Rick Schroder . A retired boxer has gambling problems and his wife that left him and his kid comes back into his life so he ends up going back in the ring trying to give his kid a good life, surprised me how good this movie is.
½ May 10, 2010
Went with my uncle to see this and he tried so hard to hold back the tears. GREAT movie!
April 30, 2010
DE VERDAD ES UNA BUENA PELICULA
March 26, 2010
Manipulative and ham-fisted. Jon Voight is terrible and Faye Dunaway is miscast, but Ricky Shroder is pretty good.
March 24, 2010
Billy Flynn, an ex boxing champion, is now a horse trainer in Hialeah. He makes just enough money to raise his little boy. T.J. worships The Champ who is now working on his come-back in order to give his boy a better future. This film is one of my favorite tear-jerkers. Ricky Schroder was such a cute kid... it broke my heart to see him cry.
½ March 6, 2010
A solid, emotionally compelling story backed by equally strong performances. John Voight plays Billy Flynn masterfully and the debut performance of Ricky Schroder as his son is honest and heartbreaking. Although a little melodramatic at times, the final sequence had me in tears. Over thirty years later, the themes and subject matter (gambling, single parenthood, alcohol abuse, depression) is still as important today as it was then. It is a shame Hollywood doesn't make more films like this today.
February 23, 2010
HONESTLY THIS MOVIE HAS GOT SO MANY EMOTIONS FOR ME BUT GOOD ONES AS IT WAS OUT WHEN I WAS A KID,AND IT WAS A REAL SAD ONE.I GENUINELY CRIED LIKE THE WEE GUY IN THE MOVIE..AW SO SAD.
February 20, 2010
procurem este filme,nao se arrependem..
½ February 2, 2010
great movie..what a way to describe a father and son relationship..
½ January 23, 2010
makes me cry,timeless in a way...
December 28, 2009
Sad little story. Well done, considering it's a movie as old as I am ;)
½ December 4, 2009
Made me cry so hard I didn't want to go to school the next morning. Heartbreaking at the very least. Just an emotionally draining movie. Good, but geez, such a sad ending.
November 28, 2009
wanted to see that great movie
November 27, 2009
I love this movie!!! i ALMOST CRIED!!!!!
November 19, 2009
A sad movie but very good
November 18, 2009
No entiendo porque todos lloran con esta peli, a mi me parecio muy chantajista, sentimentaloide y con actuaciones e historia mediocres, nada realmente "llegador".
November 10, 2009
Completely unnecessary remake, way over sentimental, over acted, over produced, over everything. They should have left well enough alone. Jon Voight is no Wallace Beery, that's for sure.
October 23, 2009
*1/2 (out of four)

Dreadful remake of the 1931 classic about a washed up boxer (Jon Voight) who bonds with his son (Ricky Schroder). But, things change when the boy's mother (Faye Dunaway) arrives on the scene and wants custody. This cause the father to step back into the ring.

Overly sentimental and just plain obvious. It seems every moment is set up to make the audience burst into tears as the music swells.