Charade Reviews

• Oct 01, 2019

Well, I can't say I thought it was too good. It's about a woman, Regina, who has no idea what is going on at any time and immediately falls in love with a man who constantly lies about everything at every turn. I think it might be because he's Cary Grant, but I'm not entirely certain. I think the poster with the arrow spiral is a great representarion of how convoluted the story is and I think it was necessarily unfocused, to distract from how otherwise dull it really is. Oh, right, it was supposed to be a comedy. I must be too young to appreciate the humour. OK, fine, it wasn't horrible. It had its moments. But for a highly-reviewed Audrey Hepburn classic? I really expected more.

• Sep 08, 2019

A funny, thrilling experience. It's not a black comedy, but a well tied mixture of comedy and thriller rather than a fusion.

• Aug 18, 2019

Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn Splendid, shades Of Hitchcock... I have heard "Charade" (1963) with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn called the best Alfred Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never directed. It has all the trademarks of the master of suspense - a tense fast-paced plot, humor and great acting. It's fun watching Cary Grant (who starred in 4 Hitchcock films) and Audrey Hepburn being chased around Paris by bad guys trying to get their hands on the money that Hepburn's dead husband stole from them. Grant is his usual debonair self and Hepburn looks super chic in those Givenchy outfits. A terrifically entertaining comedy-thriller.

• Aug 15, 2019

Here we have a movie that, as a simple pitch, wouldn't grab me at all. You're trying to do Hitchcock and Wilder at the same time? In the same movie? With screwball elements added on top? Get real. Remarkably though, "Charade" manages fairly well for itself, juggling murder scenes (some of which are pretty graphic for the time, by the way), snappy dialogue passages, and characters goofing off with a noted amount of skill. And, although the final product may not be entirely even all around, it's an absolutely valid effort from a tonal standpoint. Let's not kid ourselves here, however. You came here for the all-star cast, but you're going to stay for the bendy, twisty, and malleable caper narrative in play. I love it when movies get cute with the plot like this. Sure, some of it is predictable, but I'll always feel better when a writer or director feels they have to escalate what they're doing from scene to scene, whether that's with the action, the visuals, or -- in this case -- the plot elements. No character is who they seem to be and the audience's understandings of these characters are constantly pushed, pulled, and poked at, always giving us something to doubt, consider, or simply think about. It's a damn fun time and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it.

• Aug 13, 2019

The film swaps around genres (whodunit, romance, comedy, thriller) like Grant's character swaps around monikers, a sly and wry exercise in misdirection that feels like the actors collaborations with Hitchcock, from the movie's Bass-esque cartoon title sequence to the (one too many) twists in the plot. Although the murderer's row of supporting actors are underutilized and the narrative revelations are too narrowly centered on Grant—it would have been less predictable had the surprises been spread out among the rest of the cast—the badinage between the leads makes up for whatever are the effervescent convolutions of the plot.

• Apr 02, 2019

(Me in my lawn chair yelling at the neighbor kids): "WHY DON'T YA'LL MAKE MOVIES LIKE THIS ANYMORE?!"

• Jan 28, 2019

Great suspenseful movie, but the plot can be hard to follow at times.

Great suspenseful movie, but the plot can be hard to follow at times.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best thrilling mystery comedy romance movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: the title song! And the best movie score ever composed!

• Dec 14, 2018

It took a while before I trusted this film. So much of its antics feel amateur at first, but then you are faced with such witty and clever dialogue that you start to wonder if you are looking at the thing wrong. I mistook parody for bad writing at first, but once it all clicked together for me I was mesmerized and desperate to watch it all over again. It's preposterous and an absolute delight. When the credits rolled, I told my friend "I think I may love this film." Given some time to sit on it, I think I really do.

• Sep 21, 2018

Silly and slick; too self-aware to be suspenseful and the sexual politics are icky. But it's playful and zinging in Technicolor. Interesting side note: the trauma of the Second World War was still simmering as the Sixties started to swing.