The Chosen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chosen Reviews

½ February 25, 2015
More admirable than it is entertaining, The Chosen portrays a realistic relationship between two school boys who are torn by the religion of their parents. The only thing hampering it is the fact that it's rather dull.
December 25, 2014
It is wonderful when a movie truly opens you to a whole new world not only through your eyes but your heart and even your soul as "The Chosen" has done. The script and acting are first class with an ending that allows for more thought provoking discussions. The only negative aspect I perceived is that I believe some scenes could have been drawn out a bit longer so that their emotional impact could be fully felt by the audience. Yet still a brilliant movie even in today's times.
January 13, 2013
I love watching movies about other cultures and religions so found this fascinating.
November 12, 2012
benson turns in a great performance
September 24, 2012
This is one of those films that I had heard of and meant to see but didn't until recently. What an excellent film. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it and the actors.
Take some time and watch this film. A wonderful portrayal of two young men who are very different but turn out to more alike then they could ever imagine.
September 24, 2012
Insightful and true to the period and subject matter. Ultimately, however, it's just kind of boring.
½ September 23, 2012
A moving story. It clarifies the reasons why I love the Orthodox community but prefer to be Conservative.
May 13, 2012
One of my favorite movies with its incites into the creation of empathy in a child and the relation of fathers and sons, while providing a glimpse into a culture and time unknown to most people.
October 19, 2011
An all time favorite. Love the book as well. Saw this as a little girl and it made a huge impression on me.
½ August 26, 2011
Great movie, not as good as the book.
June 3, 2011
A thoughtful film about friendships across differences.
½ March 10, 2011
Interesting, though not too much of a point, and there were a couple of scenes that weren't the best.
February 10, 2011
I was waiting to see this movie for a very long time and it didn't disappoint me. Wonderful story. Inspirational. Superb perfomances.
December 25, 2010
Wonderful story. Inspirational. Superb perfomances.
December 20, 2010
I really want to read the book now.
½ October 6, 2010
I like the book a lot more, but generally a good movie with characters and a story that are both very interesting. World War 2 era New York provides a compelling backdrop as well. Great look at American Judaism.
March 11, 2010
I simply ADORE the book, and was pleased to see this follows the storyline as closely as I'd hoped for. Enjoyed it very much.
February 28, 2010
I simply ADORE the book, and was pleased to see this film follows the book closely as I could hope so. Enjoyed it very much.
½ February 13, 2010
Sure, the book is better than the movie. That goes without saying. Still, I have very fond memories of this flick from childhood, which ran quite often on HBO back in the 80's. Robby Benson's performance was a bit wooden but I think that had more to do with his interpretation of Danny's personality than his acting skills. Barry Miller was fantastic - whatever happened to that guy? So perhaps the movie hasn't held up so well after 29 years and the sound and cinematography are terrible but still an enjoyable way to spend a coupla hours on a Saturday.
December 21, 2009
***1/2 (out of four)

Strong performances from Robby Benson and Barry Miller are showcased in this thoughful and indepth drama set in Brooklyn in the 1940's.

The story follows two friends, one a son of a Zionist professor, and the other the son of a Hasidic leader. Rod Steiger and Maximillian Schell are also excellent in supporting roles.