A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

December 21, 2013
A festive version of the Dicken' s classic, this is one of the least faithful. It's festive mood and the lighter than air performances make it great family faire but it kind of undermines Dicken' s story. The Cratchet' s home and clothing make them look almost prosperous and there's nary a poor person in sight. Owens performance Is decent but the make up is a bit distracting. Many major scenes and characters are left out. The great scene at Fezziwihs is shortened and Scrooge' s fiance Belle is left out completely. Maybe I'm being a bit critical but this is my favourite holiday story. Dicken' s

message is universal and while this version tries to convey it it's glossy look kind of undermines the message. Still this is a festive film and for the whole family, so with that in mind I would recommend it for the holidays. But for those of us who are Christmas Carol purists and for those who want to feel Dicken' s true message I suggest that the best versions are Alistar SIM ,Patrick Stewart, and George C Scott, in that order.
½ December 19, 2013
ok version not my fave though
½ December 19, 2013
Classic presentation of Dickens great story.
December 7, 2013
Not as good as the 1951 version, for several important reasons. but very enjoyable nonetheless. See it, if only once.
½ December 3, 2013
This is a serviceable telling of the Charles Dickens classic story. Reginald Owen does a good job at playing the lead character. He is the main stand out of the cast in this film.
January 13, 2013
Watched this for the first time over Christmas 2012. It deserves its reputation as a good old-fashioned Christmas classic. There are no doubt more exciting films to watch but its heart-warming which is exactly what is wanted over the festive season.
December 29, 2012
I liked this one better then the 1999 I watched last night. It was different adaption. Some good energy but was a bit too cheery throughout. I wouldn't call this the best or the worst. It has its place. Sim still rules!

6.5/10
December 28, 2012
I've seen the better one, thus, what's the point?
December 25, 2012
This was to be Lionel Barrymore's move from the theater of the mind to the theater of the eye unfourtunatly illness kept him from doing so and on his recommendation Owen was brought in. A bit more librities than the Alister Sim version but one of first I ever saw so very close to my heart and very very very well done.
November 21, 2012
My favorite version of A Christmas Carol. I have loved it since I was little!
½ October 21, 2012
Love it watch it every year!!!!
September 12, 2012
This is the version I've always liked the best
August 26, 2012
The best of all the versions out there.
½ August 13, 2012
very good story, love all the movies of this
½ June 17, 2012
How can you not love scrooge?
April 30, 2012
One of the most famous and perhaps most remade movies ever. Quintessintial Christmas movie.
½ March 31, 2012
It may take liberties with Dickens' book, but it is very faithful. It does omit part of Scrooge's journey into the past which I feel contributed greatly to his miserly ways. However, it did add a few nice bits of Fred and his lifestyle which may not have been filled with monetary riches but a love for the life he has.
March 27, 2012
you gotta luv this movie