A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

November 29, 2015
A great and accurate portrayal of Dickens classic. Nothing more and nothing less.
½ November 22, 2015
Concise and classic. Scrooge is no joke.
½ November 15, 2015
just finished watching this movie reluctantly, George c Scott version is the best version ever released
½ July 21, 2015
Just missed five stars, excellent movie and it was fantastic.
December 23, 2014
Ironically, I guess I go against the grain here in seeing this as more of a Hollywood picture, be it a lovely classic MGM production, gloss and all. I love old Hollywood and have been a student of film studies nearly my whole life, but where there are a couple primary supporting actors who do a fine job here - with Gene Lockhart's version of Bob Cratchit outshining everyone involved, Reginald Owen (Admiral Boom in "Mary Poppins"), although always a good character actor, is a bit too kitschy here as the lead (don't mean to step on any toes, but for those here who are raving about the overall performances, they must have seen a different film). Short, sweet and entertaining, but pretty much fluff, just the same. Nothing here to talk up, sadly. Stick with the '51 Brit version, which offers a mood and tone more suited to this Dickens tale. However, if it's between this and the minions of other versions over the years (especially the animated and TV ones), this one'll do. ESPECIALLY so if we're talking the strange and quirky Disney film with Jim Carrey (in fact, if one ignores ALL Carrey Christmas faire, the holiday tends to be much more satisfying - and is simple to do, since both the Grinch and the former film are simply poor remakes).
December 21, 2014
One of the greatest Christmas movies of all time
½ November 5, 2014
Almost everything here is fine, but I just had a little bit of an issue with Reginald Owen as Scrooge. He was just a wee bit too overdramatic for my tastes.
February 14, 2014
Delightful adaptation of Charles Dickens' beloved story that is sentimental without becoming mawkish. Don't miss Leo G Carroll's cameo as Marley's ghost.
December 21, 2013
A festive version of the Dicken' s classic, this is one of the least faithful. It's festive mood and the lighter than air performances make it great family faire but it kind of undermines Dicken' s story. The Cratchet' s home and clothing make them look almost prosperous and there's nary a poor person in sight. Owens performance Is decent but the make up is a bit distracting. Many major scenes and characters are left out. The great scene at Fezziwihs is shortened and Scrooge' s fiance Belle is left out completely. Maybe I'm being a bit critical but this is my favourite holiday story. Dicken' s

message is universal and while this version tries to convey it it's glossy look kind of undermines the message. Still this is a festive film and for the whole family, so with that in mind I would recommend it for the holidays. But for those of us who are Christmas Carol purists and for those who want to feel Dicken' s true message I suggest that the best versions are Alistar SIM ,Patrick Stewart, and George C Scott, in that order.
½ December 19, 2013
ok version not my fave though
½ December 19, 2013
Classic presentation of Dickens great story.
December 7, 2013
Not as good as the 1951 version, for several important reasons. but very enjoyable nonetheless. See it, if only once.
½ December 3, 2013
This is a serviceable telling of the Charles Dickens classic story. Reginald Owen does a good job at playing the lead character. He is the main stand out of the cast in this film.
January 13, 2013
Watched this for the first time over Christmas 2012. It deserves its reputation as a good old-fashioned Christmas classic. There are no doubt more exciting films to watch but its heart-warming which is exactly what is wanted over the festive season.
December 29, 2012
I liked this one better then the 1999 I watched last night. It was different adaption. Some good energy but was a bit too cheery throughout. I wouldn't call this the best or the worst. It has its place. Sim still rules!

6.5/10
December 28, 2012
I've seen the better one, thus, what's the point?
December 25, 2012
This was to be Lionel Barrymore's move from the theater of the mind to the theater of the eye unfourtunatly illness kept him from doing so and on his recommendation Owen was brought in. A bit more librities than the Alister Sim version but one of first I ever saw so very close to my heart and very very very well done.
November 21, 2012
My favorite version of A Christmas Carol. I have loved it since I was little!
½ October 21, 2012
Love it watch it every year!!!!