City Limits - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Limits Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
Would be decent setting turns into a slow dull action-lacking mess. The characters aren't too developed, nor fun enough to follow. The post-apocalyptic world doesn't have the most remarkable scenery, but it works. The story is bland and tired.
May 26, 2016
In this cheesy apocalyptic film, a group of teenagers must stop the rivalry of two biker gangs which are ruling the remaining population after adults died from an outbreak. Extremely boring.
½ February 11, 2015
In hindsight, I wish the movie had been as interesting as the one-sentence description under "movie info."
½ October 27, 2012
Lame film about a battle for a city between two rival gangs 15 years after a deadly plague. I'm still not sure what the film's hero is fighting for. Lacks any memorable scenes, which will thankfully make this one easy to forget.
½ June 21, 2012
An idea man from the desert joins a motorcycle gang the Clippers to reclaim the city. Any association today with the Clippers would be nixed on possible connection to long suffering NBA team. Low budget yet contains several recongnizable actors. Robby Benson makes a special appearance to sit behind a desk and answer a couple phone calls.
November 27, 2011
This used to be one of my favourite films when I was a kid. I bet if I watched it now I`d think it was junk
August 29, 2011
I'm assuming this was an attempt to cash in on '80s fads like "Breakin" to get the kids to come see a movie. This was pretty bad, but the MST3K episode was excellent.
½ June 15, 2011
So yeah. There are bad movies that are so bad they're good. Then there are bad movies that are so bad, they're just plain bad and make you need to get the bleach to forget you ever saw this. And then there's movies like this: So much wasted potential and lack of any kind of interesting moments, development, or memorable characters, that I may as WELL have used brain bleach, because I honestly cannot remember any character's name (outside of Yogi, for obvious reasons I think), or what it was really about.

So the plot is supposed to be two rival biker gangs that have run of a city in post apocalyptia. Big corp comes in, on behest of the Federal Government, to take it over from the two. This corp is completely underequipped, not even able to handle a single biker wandering in by accident, and have no armed guards... yet they have watch towers, as seen towards the end. While the major corp itself wasn't out to kill off the bikers, you'd think that they'd staff personnel with a BIT of protection, wouldn't you? Oh well, whatever.

The reason this movie is bad isn't because of bad acting; though it has bad acting. It isn't because of a horrible plot idea; the plot actually has a lot of potential. It isn't even necessarily because of bad filming or directing, though it has plenty of that (the fight scenes are completely disjointed and the lighting is terrible; it's dark constantly, which is fine, but you make the film dark with the ability to see what's going on!)

The reason it's a bad film is simply this: Too many characters, NO development, and NO explanation as to the plot. Background is given in snippets too jarring to understand, and leading to comical moments (like suddenly seeing people celebrating Christmas with a dead bike member, and one of the bikers is dressed like Santa; it seemed like we had wandered into a completely different film!) Dialogue is so quiet as to be almost impossible to hear. James Earl Jones is the only cool character in the movie, and he's only in it for about five minutes, if even that. Names aren't really dropped, so I went nearly the whole movie not knowing the protagonist's name -- which is fine, because he doesn't really accomplish much by the end. James Earl Jones is the real hero, and he does it with RC planes that explode somehow (they don't explain why; I assume the planes are loaded with C4, but it HELPS TO ESTABLISH THINGS, MOVIE!)

If you want to see this film, see the MST3K version; which proves to be entertaining enough to be bearable, but not enough to save this film. Even with MST3K, I was bored out of my skull, with the monotony being broken infrequently.

This film is an example why lack of establishment in a film -- of characters and the plot -- turns it into a completely lackluster, boring film. We see people do things, we don't see a plot unfolding, and it's hard to tell what's happening. There's two major biker gangs, but no real distinguishing features between the two -- no gang colors, no theme, just a mishmash of colors and styles that do not belong together. Everyone's wearing outfits that makes me swear that either the creators bought out a thrift store, or they were just recycling outfits from a ton of different movies with different genres... well, out of their trash heap, anyways.

Wasted potential -- two biker gangs having to deal with a corporation in a post apocalyptic wasteland could be INTERESTING, even with a shoestring budget if you play your cards right. This film doesn't, and makes me feel like I've completely wasted my time watching it. There's no pathos for any of the characters, and the plot is so incomprehensible, it's difficult to tell what characters even accomplish during it. Terrible film.
March 7, 2010
a bunch of post-apocalypse teenage punks successfully fight an evil corporation seeking to reinstall electricity and administer medicine, so they can all die of cholera and wallow in their own filth. i guess James Earl Jones really needed the money, especially two years after "Return of the Jedi."

also deserves a mention for some of the most bizarre closing music i've ever heard in a movie in any era -- consisting of an old-school hip-hop song, the main lyrics of which consists of the rappers going "bleh bleh bleh bleh!!" over and over again. Grandmaster Flash or Run-DMC, these guys weren't.
½ November 8, 2009
January 29, 2009
This film has a cast of fairly well-known actors, but the writing is horrendous and the cinematography is terrible (e.g. the freeze-frame nonsense during the opening credits). It takes an overused idea (namely, a dystopian future with ruined cities populated by motorcycle gangs) and stretches it to the limit of the viewer's patience. Only see this film if you want to experience James Earl Jones' worst work.
½ January 3, 2009
Pretty crappy, despite the odd good scene
December 15, 2008
no thanks not my thing
October 12, 2008
This gets extra points for nostalgia. A post apolcolyptic biker B-movie was one my favorites of VERY early childhood.