Cleopatra Reviews

• May 21, 2019

The movie tries hard to be one of the grand, sweeping epics of old Hollywood, like Gone With The Wind or Ben Hur, but falls apart due to flimsy causality. I kept asking myself throughout the movie "how did (blank) know (blank)?" and "why didn't (blank) happen to (blank)?" and the movie never answers these questions.

• Apr 22, 2019

It's amazing that despite the fact the movie is titled Cleopatra, the leading character was forced into the stereotypical female role of this era. If you don't know what I mean, I mean Taylor was there simply to make Burton and Harrison look good (i.e not gay). Taylor was good in this film despite the horrible lines such as "how will I go on with out you?" Mate your the Queen of Egypt, get over yourself

• Mar 24, 2019

Big dumb fun. The ultimate guilty pleasure, possessing Alex North's finest film score

• Jan 27, 2019

The best epic romance movie ever made! With the best movie score ever composed!

The best epic romance movie ever made! With the best movie score ever composed!

• Nov 26, 2018

The first two hours are very well done, and the rest of the film does a very good job of depicting the end of the Ptolemy Dynasty. These are the people that fell in order to push the world in the direction that we've seen it go. What would have happened if Antony had won at Actium? With the Ptolemy's would Egypt have once again been a world power, and what would have become of Rome? Questions we will never have answers to, and a world we will never know. This is a fine piece of cinema for the history buff. Caesarion was 17 when he died, and there are a couple of factual errors near the end of the film that are different than how the actual events happened, but the sets are out of this world (should be for nearly bankrupting Fox) and the acting is great, especially from Rex Harrison.

• Aug 24, 2018

Probably the third time now that I've watched a 4 hour plus movie(which is challenging as far as trying to not fall asleep). For me this felt like a very long, fancy and elaborate play. You get a couple of "action" scenes and Liz Taylor looking drop dead gorgeous throughout, mostly it's about the 5 million lines or so of dialogue and the love story. It can be slow, but I've seen much slower. Not really my kind of movie honestly, still it's not bad.

• Aug 19, 2018

I really liked it. It can not be said to be the best movie ever, there are better story films (like Ben-Hur, for example). Despite having rather unrealistic and drying scenes, it's a pretty good movie. Highly recommend. (Do not persebo as a good movie as this is rated at 56% and HORRIBLE movies as Sharknado is rated at 82%).

• Jun 18, 2018

Riddled with historical and ethnical inaccuracies, movies like "Cleopatra" have to be given a certain amount of credit if for nothing else but the sheer radical attempt at such a grandiose scale of a film in the early days of blockbusters where every massive level of detail was from set design, costumes, etc. No CGI or special effects here. However, like many other early Hollywood big-budget films, the desire to be Shakesperean ruins period pieces, especially when they are set in foreign lands. "The Ten Commandments," "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Cleopatra" fit this irritating mold. However, the film is so beautifully presented, and the acting from Liz Taylor is very strong, in spite of the bad casting. Overall, "Cleopatra" was too over-dramatized to view as a historical representation of anything other than Hollywood ego-gone-wild.

• May 31, 2018

SUCH an epic. But 4 hours is about a full hour too long. DeMille seems to have got a bit too pleased with himself and some of the scenes are elongated and truly painful. Plus...Liz Taylor isn’t great.

• May 05, 2018

Yes, there are problems in script. Yes, it's too long. Yes, it could have been so much better. But it is still a marvel to watch. Elizabeth Taylor is always mesmerizing and carriea the movie on her shoulders.