Cobra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cobra Reviews

½ October 10, 2016
Olihan se kunnon Stallonea, jotenki vaan hyvän alun jälkeen läsähti loppua kohden.
August 29, 2016
Cobra's gun is a rare showcase of an eccentric piece of 80s weaponry, other than that, this flick is pretty baseline for 80s action flims.
August 22, 2016
Avec sa squence d'ouverture particulirement russie, on pouvait attendre beaucoup de Cobra, actioner de George Pan Cosmatos crit et avec Sylvester Stallone, tir de son premier scnario pour le Flic de Beverly Hills. Malheureusement, Cobra baisse terriblement de pied aprs cette premire demi-heure et se retrouve un peu coinc avec Brigitte Nielsen. Il faut alors attendre la grosse scne d'action finale qui ressemble s'y mprendre Commando, sorti un an plus tt, mais en beaucoup moins bien (mchant mdiocre, massacre gnralis beaucoup moins ironique et inventif...). Dommage car Stallone et Reni Santoni sont plutt bons et la bande-son vraiment rjouissante...
½ August 9, 2016
cobra is a truly jaw dropping action thriller with inspirational one liners,such as : this is where the law stops and i start and an ending that is truly inspirational
August 8, 2016
I've always viewed this film for better or for worse as the epitome of 80s action films. It's so on the nose in terms of all the 80s action film cliches that the film can easily be viewed as an ironic parody. However, and I'm not quite sure why, but I really do love this film and consider it something of a guilty pleasure. I felt a little vindicated in my love of "Cobra" when I read on IMDB that Nicolas Winding Refn, the director of "Drive," is a huge fan of the film. Sylvester Stallone plays Lieutenant Marion 'Cobra' Cobretti, who's part of the Zombie Squad, who are called in for those really bad cases. This time it's a series of killings by The Night Slasher, which ends up being a cult of killers who want to bring about some ill defined new order. They profess their beliefs by clanging together axes in silhouette in an abandoned foundry. That's about the extent of their motivation. Most of the film's action involves Stallone protecting a witness, who happens to be a model played by Brigitte Nielsen. The action is exciting and nicely 80s flashy. There are loads of memorable silly one liners, such as:

"You're the disease, and I'm the cure."

Or

"Get back! I got a bomb here! I'll blow this whole place up!"
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."

Or

"It's bad for your health, you know?"
Punk smoking cigarette: "What is, pinche?"
"Me."

And I could go on. Sly wrote the screenplay based on a novel that was later filmed as the Cindy Crawford/Billy Baldwin vehicle "Fair Game." This is obviously the better of the two. It was directed by George P. Cosmatos, although some reports are that Stallone was really the director on the film. The same claim was also reported for the excellent western "Tombstone," that Cosmatos was more of an on-set producer and that star Kurt Russell was the film's real director. Cosmatos was also the credited director of "Rambo: First Blood Part II" so he has some pretty excellent muscular action flicks to his credits, but those are really his only films that I would say are really anything of note, which does make me think there may be some credence to the claims that he was merely on set to keep things running smoothly while Sly or Kurt shot their pictures. In any case, his name will probably be remembered for being part of these iconic films. There are some good supporting players in this film that include Art LaFleur (you'd totally recognize him if you don't know the name) and also Andrew Robinson, which I think was funny to cast him as the uptight police bureaucrat on Cobretti's case when his most famous role was as Scorpio, the crazed killer in "Dirty Harry." You also get o see David "Sledge Hammer!" Rasche as a fashion photographer, but most memorable of the supporting cast is Brian Thompson as the lead baddie from the cult, who has a big scary knife and looks perpetually sweaty. My favorite part of his performance are the close ups of his mouth when he spouts "PIG" with loads to saliva. I'll admit there are lot of plot holes and the pacing seems off at time, although I think both of those are a result of the film originally being Rated-X and had to be cut to get an R-rating. Overall, this is a film that I know isn't exactly "The French Connection," but it's a film that's always stuck in my memory, has a lot of funny one liners, many slick visuals, and is a film that I fell like I should be enjoying it ironically, but one that I always end up just straight up enjoying as quintessential 80s action.
½ July 31, 2016
An enjoyable, if predictably cheesy 80's action must see.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
This is a typical Stallone film (The hero In a typical 80's action film cops chase bad guys and save the girl) Stallone is the right man for this film, Full of cheese, Some ok action scenes and a very entertaining car chase, Ok the acting wasn't great but who cares it's just another action film from the 80's starring Stallone so you know what you're going to get.
½ July 15, 2016
Just another crappy movie from Cannon Films.
June 13, 2016
A damn good action movie
½ May 24, 2016
A classic Stallone action film. So bad as good.
½ April 20, 2016
Cobra (1986) ? 1/2
Cop Sly protects witness from ugly murderers. Typically stupid, routine action movie with an imagination level only in finding different ways to blow somebody up.
½ April 14, 2016
At least the model doesn't get killed, even though dozens of other people do in the killers' attempts to kill the model. Also, fuck due process, fuck yeah tight jeans.
April 5, 2016
One Of Sly's best movies alot of good lines : go ahead I don't shop here"
½ April 1, 2016
It's silly, dialogue can be bad at times, but its a fun guilty pleasure film Stallone made back in the 80's. C+
½ March 27, 2016
terribly-awesome '80s sly action classic. this movie has everything you could ever want in a terribly-awesome '80s action movie. stereotypes, music montages, action, bad special effects, a car chase, bad acting, terrible one-one liners... you name it! cheesy fromage at its finest. but the best part is the director's commentary; i'm sure he's inebriated and keeps getting moreso as the movie goes on! a must watch.
March 8, 2016
Top top movie with a great soundtrack.
February 17, 2016
Big, Dunn fun from Sly. Sure, it's a Dirty Harry rip, but Sly takes out a little under 100 rather intimidating cultists. That's enough for me to be entertained.
February 17, 2016
It's almost like a film class shot this. A few great moments for lighting, editing, locations, & intro to editing or script editing. As a classroom project this would earn a B-.
February 9, 2016
Sylvester Stallone in "Sylvester Stallone"
January 29, 2016
Stallone is the disease and there is no cure for this horrendous excuse for a movie.