Cocktail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocktail Reviews

August 9, 2017
A fun 80s drama but if you really think about the story it's a mess. Beautiful women though Elisabeth Shue is such a stunner!
July 14, 2017
7/9/2017 (2): An ok movie, but not as good as I remember. A really good cast though.
July 12, 2017
Story about a young bartender trying to get rich quick in New York. Yeah, that's the plot. Dumb, but hey, it entertaining. The ending is odd. They never explain how he got the money. But I did like it. Strange huh?
June 20, 2017
I can't really explain why but I saw this one many times and still like watching it from time to time. Young and so cute Elizabeth Shue. Addicted to love. Cocktails. Bee Gees. Waterfalls.
June 18, 2017
5% on Tomatometer Blasphemy! A eighties Classic!
April 20, 2017
I remember liking this more. Though to be fair, I've only seen it twice and the last time it was HBO when I was 15. Still, Tom Cruise is just so damn charming. Especially 80s Cruise! And how adorable is Elizabeth Shue in everything?!! Soundtrack is also still killer. KOKOMO!!! Love that song. But this movie is a mess. It starts out fun and gets super dreary. It doesn't really have any purpose. The journey is not fulfilling. You can't follow up Taps, The Outsiders, Risky Business, All The Right Moves, Top Gun, Color of Money, and Legend with this clunker. But wow, what a streak. It's ok, he gets back on track with Rain Man Born On The Fourth Of July. Seriously, what a run!
April 12, 2017
By far the best movie I've ever seen. Hands down. Tom Cruise's performance made me change my dreams. I will now be the best bartender in the world!
March 26, 2017
Feel good movie that you can watch over and over again. I love it!
February 23, 2017
Incredibly predictable. Bar tricks aren't even that spectacular. Convoluted love story. Tom Cruise's talent is wasted here. Rating: 6.5 / 10
November 24, 2016
Easily one of the important films on the roster of 80's fantasy-formulaic comedies. Vintage Cruise and Gershon. A must-see.
November 20, 2016
Oh, admit it! You love it! However bad it is...
½ September 30, 2016
An ok movie but it feels like a bunch of episodes of a tv show sewed together to form a movie.
September 25, 2016
A classic that helped launch Tom Cruise's career. I have never seen this before but I really enjoyed it and I can see why many others also enjoyed it.
August 30, 2016
In all of it's Razzie winning glory, Cocktail is a special movie. I certainly didn't hate it as much as most people, but it did have a few issues. Tom Cruise is not at his best, but still is somehow entertaining to watch when he spins bottles. The movie is fairly forgettable but it does have a decent old school soundtrack though.
August 25, 2016
Great old movie. One of my favorites. Cruise was great, brown was excellent, and Elisabeth Shue is one of the most beautiful and likable actresses to ever grace the screen.
½ May 7, 2016
Okay, my first instincts on "Cocktail" is it does have a good soundtrack going into the movie. It's typical teenage behavior, and a reunion that could use more of an emotional connection. And, so, it has a decent vibe going in, and I like Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown's energy. But I do feel it's hohum until we get to that job interview and first bartending scenes, where we get one of those cliches that really doesn't work unless it's a full-blown comedy (Hint: Clip-show mind screw). Last I checked, "Cocktail" is a love story.

A lot of the character interactions seems awkward to me. The drunk walk is one of those examples.

Bad poem in the "Cell Block". Too narmy and nonsensical.

This is barely a movie, being really only a music video for the accompanying soundtrack and maybe a travel brochure for Jamaica. I think there is a little bit of tension when the baby is mentioned, but I didn't really feel like sitting through the whole movie.

Now there was a small second-run movie palace in Houston called the Bellaire/Bel Air, like the ritzy neighborhood in Hollywood, that had a bar with windows into one of the auditoriums. If I were an adult in 1988/1989, and I went into the bar before going to the box office, and I saw Cocktail playing behind the glass, well, good news! It was a free showing! You would NOT be missing out on watching the movie without sound from the Bel Air's bar, because there's nothing going on. I can get more entertainment talking to the theater's barman. Too bad they don't make movie theaters like that anymore as a safety net for other bad movies.

The only good thing about Cocktail IS the soundtrack, and this movie was the debut of the only post "Good Vibrations" big hit from The Beach Boys, which was "Kokomo". That song and the songs in the soundtrack are classic, and you do not need to buy this movie to hear the soundtrack.

I only did this one because I played barkeep in New Mexico, and I felt it would be appropriate. Well, I've got a review for one of the lamest 80's films (and the Worst Picture 1988 Razzie winner as I discovered) under my belt, so there's an accomplishment. If you wanna argue the point, this movie may help pretraining for any aspiring bartenders (there's fun in catering at parties, which I'd rather do over watching this movie.).

There is good news. Disney and Touchstone had a considerably better choice in moviemaking with Roger Rabbit the same year. Spend your money on that.
January 29, 2016
It's no classic, but it has the neon-tinted eighties charm, synthy soundtrack, and Bryan Brown's 'Doug Coughlin' that make it infinitely watchable for me.