Cocktail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocktail Reviews

June 11, 2018
The first two acts capture a very intriguing lifestyle. We witness the rise and the inevitable peak. However, the writer and director choose to give an unrealistic "fairytale" ending that in no way matches the first two acts of the movie. There is no deterioration, instead Tom Cruise's character turns into some superhero who has a perfect relationship. What this film does well is reflect on how "days get shorter and shorter and before you know it life is just one long night."
June 10, 2018
very underrated movie - critically anyway. growing up, this movie was well liked, but as time has passed and people, now relying on critic scores more so than ever, might look over this movie for that reason. As an 80s movie buff, I believe that's a mistake. I wrote an article about rotten tomatoes once, perhaps gaining too much credibility for what is or is not a good movie. some things can't be judged like that accurately. you can't Legitimately judge personal taste. it's all subjective. but this is my personal taste on this movie - 5-stars... and the last thing in the article I wrote was that I believe "cocktail" is the worst rotten tomato reviewed movie, at 5%, that I've seen yet.
June 5, 2018
I love the movie, grew up watching it ??
May 28, 2018
i think i like the soundtrack more than i like the actually film, but it's cute.
April 5, 2018
A decent 80's time waster that while entertaining does not try to do anything more. it features a generic love story and a convoluted plot and really is only held together by Tom Curise's charisma and Elizabeth Shue's good looks.
½ March 17, 2018
'Cocktail' is a pretender of a movie as it wants to be smarter than it actually is. The storyline flows utterly fast and holds little depth. The script is poor at best and the cast is left with very little to work with. Of the few redeeming qualities it has, Bryan Brown is one of them with a seemingly convincing performance but even that can easily be lost if this movie annoys you enough and there's a good chance of that.
½ March 4, 2018
Cocktail is one of those films that is criminally underrated by the 'critic' fraternity.
I never thought I would be in a position to say I enjoyed a Tom Cruise film. However I did.
Here Cruise plays New York bartender Brian Flanagan who dreams of a fortune by honest Alan Sugar like Apprentice means! He studies business books and attends college classes in between bar work.
He gets a new bartender job as cocktail making apprentice to older character Doug Coughlin (Bryan Brown). He learns the trade making such elaborate cocktails as the Alabama Slammer and Raging Orgasm.
Flanagan has a business plan (this is very Apprentice) to open a chain of cocktail bars in every US shopping mall. Cocktail and Dreams. Dreams indeed!
The film explores the friendship between Flanagan and Coughlin as well as their escapades with the rich ladies of New York.
When I think of Tom Cruise I think of Maverick in Top Gun or James Bond wannabee Ethan Hunt in the Mission Impossible films but I enjoyed the Brian Flanagan character. Definitely one of his better 1980s characters.
I have never seen the Australian guy Coughlin before although he has an extensive filmography of Australian films I have never heard of.
November 25, 2017
This move may not speak to everyone, but as a 22 year old dude who had a stint bartending it speaks to me past the shallow plot flaws
October 19, 2017
Actually, not a bad film. With classically structured cinema, cocktail was one of the best films of its era.
½ September 18, 2017
Cocktail is frustrating to watch. It almost feels like this movie has nothing to offer other than annoying and unpleasant people arguing with one another. No one treats the other characters with any respect other than Elisabeth Shue, and her presence in the film just accentuates the fact that everyone else is unlikable. Plus I end up worrying about her because of all the awful decisions she makes for this one guy. The most notable thing that everyone remembers about this film is the flair bartending. Now I appreciate that Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown clearly do a lot of these tricks themselves, but they aren?t the greatest at it and flair bartending makes up a very small part of the movie. Most of the film is made up of depressing relationship drama that will probably end up with Tom Cruise?s character following in the footsteps of Bryan Brown?s character. They don?t do anything that makes sense with their choices for the future, and yet I think I?m supposed to be celebrating with them at the end. It?s a sad film filled with the worst kinds of characters. I?ll be happy to never watch it again.
August 9, 2017
A fun 80s drama but if you really think about the story it's a mess. Beautiful women though Elisabeth Shue is such a stunner!
July 14, 2017
7/9/2017 (2): An ok movie, but not as good as I remember. A really good cast though.
July 12, 2017
Story about a young bartender trying to get rich quick in New York. Yeah, that's the plot. Dumb, but hey, it entertaining. The ending is odd. They never explain how he got the money. But I did like it. Strange huh?
June 20, 2017
I can't really explain why but I saw this one many times and still like watching it from time to time. Young and so cute Elizabeth Shue. Addicted to love. Cocktails. Bee Gees. Waterfalls.
June 18, 2017
5% on Tomatometer Blasphemy! A eighties Classic!
April 20, 2017
I remember liking this more. Though to be fair, I've only seen it twice and the last time it was HBO when I was 15. Still, Tom Cruise is just so damn charming. Especially 80s Cruise! And how adorable is Elizabeth Shue in everything?!! Soundtrack is also still killer. KOKOMO!!! Love that song. But this movie is a mess. It starts out fun and gets super dreary. It doesn't really have any purpose. The journey is not fulfilling. You can't follow up Taps, The Outsiders, Risky Business, All The Right Moves, Top Gun, Color of Money, and Legend with this clunker. But wow, what a streak. It's ok, he gets back on track with Rain Man Born On The Fourth Of July. Seriously, what a run!
April 12, 2017
By far the best movie I've ever seen. Hands down. Tom Cruise's performance made me change my dreams. I will now be the best bartender in the world!
March 26, 2017
Feel good movie that you can watch over and over again. I love it!
February 23, 2017
Incredibly predictable. Bar tricks aren't even that spectacular. Convoluted love story. Tom Cruise's talent is wasted here. Rating: 6.5 / 10