Cocktail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cocktail Reviews

½ September 30, 2016
An ok movie but it feels like a bunch of episodes of a tv show sewed together to form a movie.
September 25, 2016
A classic that helped launch Tom Cruise's career. I have never seen this before but I really enjoyed it and I can see why many others also enjoyed it.
August 30, 2016
In all of it's Razzie winning glory, Cocktail is a special movie. I certainly didn't hate it as much as most people, but it did have a few issues. Tom Cruise is not at his best, but still is somehow entertaining to watch when he spins bottles. The movie is fairly forgettable but it does have a decent old school soundtrack though.
August 25, 2016
Great old movie. One of my favorites. Cruise was great, brown was excellent, and Elisabeth Shue is one of the most beautiful and likable actresses to ever grace the screen.
½ May 7, 2016
Okay, my first instincts on "Cocktail" is it does have a good soundtrack going into the movie. It's typical teenage behavior, and a reunion that could use more of an emotional connection. And, so, it has a decent vibe going in, and I like Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown's energy. But I do feel it's hohum until we get to that job interview and first bartending scenes, where we get one of those cliches that really doesn't work unless it's a full-blown comedy (Hint: Clip-show mind screw). Last I checked, "Cocktail" is a love story.

A lot of the character interactions seems awkward to me. The drunk walk is one of those examples.

Bad poem in the "Cell Block". Too narmy and nonsensical.

This is barely a movie, being really only a music video for the accompanying soundtrack and maybe a travel brochure for Jamaica. I think there is a little bit of tension when the baby is mentioned, but I didn't really feel like sitting through the whole movie.

Now there was a small second-run movie palace in Houston called the Bellaire/Bel Air, like the ritzy neighborhood in Hollywood, that had a bar with windows into one of the auditoriums. If I were an adult in 1988/1989, and I went into the bar before going to the box office, and I saw Cocktail playing behind the glass, well, good news! It was a free showing! You would NOT be missing out on watching the movie without sound from the Bel Air's bar, because there's nothing going on. I can get more entertainment talking to the theater's barman. Too bad they don't make movie theaters like that anymore as a safety net for other bad movies.

The only good thing about Cocktail IS the soundtrack, and this movie was the debut of the only post "Good Vibrations" big hit from The Beach Boys, which was "Kokomo". That song and the songs in the soundtrack are classic, and you do not need to buy this movie to hear the soundtrack.

I only did this one because I played barkeep in New Mexico, and I felt it would be appropriate. Well, I've got a review for one of the lamest 80's films (and the Worst Picture 1988 Razzie winner as I discovered) under my belt, so there's an accomplishment. If you wanna argue the point, this movie may help pretraining for any aspiring bartenders (there's fun in catering at parties, which I'd rather do over watching this movie.).

There is good news. Disney and Touchstone had a considerably better choice in moviemaking with Roger Rabbit the same year. Spend your money on that.
January 29, 2016
It's no classic, but it has the neon-tinted eighties charm, synthy soundtrack, and Bryan Brown's 'Doug Coughlin' that make it infinitely watchable for me.
January 27, 2016
While watching the movie I got thirsty myself and I wouldn't mind to have those drinks.
December 20, 2015
So hilariously bad I can't even explain it. There aren't words to describe how awful this is, but I think it's at least deliberately awful...there's no way anyone could've thought this wasn't going to be terrible while they were making it.
½ December 20, 2015
I loved this movie!!!
November 25, 2015
The greatest film ever made.
½ November 20, 2015
Cocktail is pretty terrible but remains highly entertaining most of the time.
½ November 17, 2015
Is there a more vain and vacuous movie than Cocktail? There are few contenders. Yet, Cruise and Brown bring enthusiasm and fun to a film that should be unbearable. A true testament to each actor's charisma.
October 5, 2015
Sex, cigarettes and pointless drama while tom cruise plays the cute guy.
September 3, 2015
This is a pretty good Cruise movie in my opinion. Yes, there are better ones out there, but I take this over, say, Edge of Tomorrow, any day.
June 2, 2015
Still, there's worse...
April 15, 2015
Cruise's star appeal pushes this puddle jumper to watchable status.
March 20, 2015
This Cocktail will leave a bitter taste in your mouth.
January 10, 2015
Flipping awful & yet enjoyable, for all the wrong reasons. Tom Cruise convincingly portrays a completely self centred young man with lessons to learn. This film shows us the dark side of adult life through such a shallow mirror, it is in itself amusing. Some laugh out loud moments, eg. When Cruise's girlfriend squirts ketchup into his lap. Do you like a vacuous, cheesy, plastic 80's thrill? Give it watch.