Colors Reviews

• Mar 26, 2021

Seeing a gangland from the perspective of both the police and gang members and the ho worlds collide, and the people around the officers in a low-income neighbourhood fueled by gangs. A movie ahead of its time great cast showing Rookie with an experienced police officer. A great director from Dennis Hopper a very gritty drama.

• Nov 26, 2020

Wasn't a fan of the writing nor (particularly the the dubbing of ADR). The film felt slightly glamorous furthermore there isn't much for performances from these two very good sctors. I appreciate what Dennis Hopper tried for but it is very dated in many, many respects.

• Sep 04, 2020

It's sounds effects and edits can seem a bit dated but I really love the story and the way Duvall and Penn play off eachother. Penn's character arc is terrific. A dynamic transformation from a young hot head police officer to one who is more wise and an overall better police officer like that of his older and wiser partner (Duvall).

• Aug 30, 2020

A hard watch in 2020 - full of exaggrated cliches.. homes.

A hard watch in 2020 - full of exaggrated cliches.. homes.

• Aug 22, 2020

Decent performances by Penn and Duvall

Decent performances by Penn and Duvall

• Feb 23, 2020

Despite the star power of the two leads, the tired "mismatched cop" formula is never quite overcome by any degree of real sincerity or nuance, and remains too caught up in trying to create a commentary to provide a compelling narrative. (3/5)

• Jan 26, 2020

I have seen this movie a lot of times, I would watch this movie again. I thought that this was a alright movie it passed the time it's one of my bf's fave movies. I seen this movie with him a few years ago very 90's cop drama of sorts 2 stars for this movie. Movie trivia- In this movie Sean Penn and the main woman in this movie could not get along/ along on set even though they played love interests.

• Mar 31, 2019

The Dennis Hopper directorial effort "Colors" takes us into the textured landscape that is 1980's Los Angeles, namely through the lens of a pair of police officers, played by Robert Duvall and Sean Penn. While both actors do a fair job playing off one another onscreen (I mean, there's three Oscars between the two of them. What'd I expect?), it all feels a bit too muted for me to care. This, I assume, comes more from the writing than the performances at hand, as the overly subtle character work is not the only problem I had with this narrative. There's a great amount of effort placed into showcasing the horror that gang violence can cause, but very little nuance lent towards delving into why these things come about in the first place. The "gangbanger" characters, as characterized in the film, are simply absolute. They kind of just exist. Yes, some of them exhibit remorse and even a bit of personality now and then, but beyond that I feel this movie has more to say about the police force than anything involving why gangs do what they do/how they come about. And even with the police there's not that much for the movie to say. The narrative between the Duvall and Penn characters is so predictable and cliche-ridden that you end up losing interest somewhere around halfway through things. "Colors" may have been indelible and interesting for its time, but I'm not sure it's much else than that.

• Jan 30, 2019

An average cop/gang thriller that features some strong acting but rather meandering plot.

• Jul 15, 2018

I didn't really expect to like Colors as much as I did. It's one of those movies that just has nothing to do with the way I live (I'm white, well-off, and attend private school in the suburbs), but that's part of the appeal of it for me... it's just a completely different world. The characters are beautifully woven and the violence is realistic in the ghetto setting, making it all very believable and never over the top. The performances are spectacular; only Sean Penn and Robert Duvall could've pulled them off. Plus, the soundtrack is awesome, so that's a bonus.