The Comeback (Encore) (The Day the Screaming Stopped) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Comeback (Encore) (The Day the Screaming Stopped) Reviews

May 21, 2015
Jack Jones plays a 1970s popstar who returns to the UK after a 6 year hiatus in the US with wife not to be Gail.
On returning to the UK he learns of his impending divorce from Gail who is about to suffer a grisly end!
Who is the murderer?
Is it Jacks creepy agent?
Could it be the old couple who are housekeepers at the Surrey mansion where Jack is holed up writing material for a comeback album?
Inspired casting includes Pete Walker regular Sheila Keith as housekeeper Mrs. B and Bill Owen as Mr. B. Owen better known to UK television audiences as Compo off Last of the Summer Wine.
Pete Walker is well known in my reviews as the seventies exploitation horror director and he doesn't disappoint in this little known film that probably last had a TV showing in the 1980s.
Oh I almost forgot. A vintage 1976 white Lotus Esprit also has prominent screen time!
December 3, 2014
Okay, this is not a great movie, but it is darn fun and a nice novelty of having Jack Jones playing a singer. Pete Walker is one of the best directors of English Giallo and Sheila Keith is one of the creepiest actresses of all time. I think Robin Williams stole Mrs. Doubtfire from her performance in this spooky shocker.
March 30, 2014
Incredibly slow but the ending is fantastic. The definition of b-movie horror.
March 20, 2013
With its artificially bright lighting and prominent use of "Love Boat" singer Jack Jones and David Doyle (then riding high on "Charlie's Angels"), "The Comeback" feels like made-for-TV hokum. Jones plays an unlikely superstar singer (since when did '70s easy-listening acts sell six million copies?) whose return from a long hiatus is hampered when someone starts killing people in his inner circle. Suspects are set up with unsubtle calculation (one red herring is particularly ridiculous) and then killed off. Holly Palance has an especially thankless role as Jones' ex-wife who is brutally murdered at the start and then has her corpse repeatedly turn up in more and more mutilated form.
½ April 15, 2012
Creepy production by British veteran director Pete Walker.
½ August 20, 2011
Jack Jones is my mum's favourite singer - so it was interesting to see this; quite a curious little film and much better than I expected. Quite a handsome devil he is too! Jack does well as the lead and it has a few gory or creepy moments along the way. All very Scooby Doo, of course! Pamela Stephenson and Bill Owen also star!!
August 27, 2008
Compo (from the never ending British TV series 'Last Of the Summer Wine') stars as a crossdressing lunatic that goes around killing people with a sickle, or sythe, or whatever those things are called. Who would have imagined?! I've just spoilt the end for you but i don't give a fuck! Pretty grissly British horror from Pete 'House Of Whipcord' Walker.
January 31, 2008
The Comeback is an unfortunately titled (sounds like a Disney live action sports movie starring monkeys) but more-than-adequate helping of old-school British slasher horror.
August 4, 2007
Hard to believe this was ever made. But it was: I've seen it.