Comfort and Joy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Comfort and Joy Reviews

½ December 20, 2014
Aaaargh! "Currently unavailable" on Amazon!
December 4, 2014
Charming, strange, whimsical, sweet--in a word, Forsythian.
½ May 1, 2014
Bill Forsyth was always a very underrated director, whose early films of the 1980's displayed a wonderfully gentle dry wit to their name, and this one is an underrated film made around the height of his success. Set one Christmas in Glasgow, it follows local radio DJ Alan "Dicky" Bird (the always wonderful Bill Paterson), having the week from hell. His girlfriend leaves him, taking all the furniture with her, and then gets caught in the middle of a rival war between two ice-cream sellers, Mr. Bunny and Mr. McCool, and he finds himself acting as a middle man between the two feuding retailers, and he also to deal with his long-suffering boss Hilary (Rikki Fulton) at the radio station. It's a very subtle comedy, which was actually based on a real life Ice Cream War going on in Glasgow in the early 1980's, but if you look closely, the film has a very loose structure to Alice in Wonderland about it all!! ;) But, it's also a good timepiece of Scotland in the 1980's, it's got a good strong lead from Bill Paterson, one of the most underrated actors still working today, and Forsyth brings out the best in him, oh and it's got a good score by Mark Knopfler!! :D
½ February 26, 2014
Rather odd story with delicious scenes in 1980s local Scottish radioland.
½ February 4, 2014
Inoffensive comedy with some quirks rather than a quirky comedy. It suffers from the fact that its story and style could easily televisual standards, but at the same time it's not the worst way to spend 90 minutes.
May 10, 2012
Excellent Movie from the 80's funny & raw at the same time.. great performances throughout - I have for the sale the original Video played twice - offers realistic please this is a very rare movie!!
January 17, 2012
Brilliant!! A True Scottish Classic
December 14, 2011
where is david ohara
January 23, 2011
One of Bill Forsyth's best works.
April 30, 2009
Ice cream fritters, the perfect way to end a war
April 12, 2009
Brilliant!! A True Scottish Classic
April 5, 2009
An xmas season favorite. Wish I could find it on DVD, the only reason I still hang on to my old VHS machine.
½ March 18, 2009
Any movie about an ice cream war has to worth a least one viewing
March 7, 2009
Another slice of whimsy from Forsyth, which may not have the belly laughs of Gregory's Girl, or the heart of Local Hero, but has originality and wry humour in spades.The ice cream van jingle is really annoying though.
December 20, 2008
Quirky and fun, this is a really fun 'alternative' Christmas movie. :)

"Do-de-doo-de-do, hello folks!"
November 24, 2008
Sort of a cross between Overboard and It's a Wonderful Life. It is predictable. The acting is fair. Watchable as well as forgettable.
½ June 18, 2008
Funny Scotish made film
June 10, 2008
I wish I could watch every movie ever made but I sadly don't have the time. I'm not interested in this movie because I don't think I'll like it or don't know enough about it to think I might like it. I may still end up seeing it some day though.
½ May 13, 2008
your dickie bird aff the radio!
April 14, 2008
A good Scottish comedy film based on the notorious
Glasgow ice cream wars.One of my to faves.