Crawlspace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crawlspace Reviews

March 10, 2016
Another Charles Band produced gem from the 1980s. I'd actually never seen this one before and always remember seeing the VHS box in the horror section with a creepy picture of star Klaus Kinski starring out at you. Mr. Kinski plays a creepy ex-Nazi who travels around his apartment building in the titular crawlspaces to spy on his neighbors and to do despicable things. Writer/Director David Schmoeller made a number of fun horror films for producer Band back in the day, including the original "Puppet Master" film and this film stands up as one of his better films, in large part thanks to the larger than life presence of Klaus Kinski. Schmoeller documented his troubles working with the notoriously difficult actor in a short film titled "Please Kill Mr. Kinski," which is what the crew implored the director to do throughout the filming of "Crawlspace." Schmoeller managed to complete the film without killing Kinski and the end result is a pretty entertaining low budget horror film. The great Pino Donaggio provided the film it's better-than-it-deserves score. Not a classic, but well worth watching of fans of this sort of thing.
½ August 26, 2015
Landlord Kinski uses crawlspace to spy and kill his female tenants. On the upside, however, one tenant describes the place as quite affordable. Creepiness factor is off the charts here with the diabolical Kinski; never explains how all the bodies are disposed.
March 1, 2015
Well this movie was fucked but at least it had a clear cut ending
½ January 21, 2015
I honestly don't think anyone could have gave a more disturbing performance then Klaus Kinski!
December 6, 2014
Please Kill Mr Kinski. Hahaha! The notoriously difficult actor managed to posses director David Schmeoller to produce a short film on the exploits of Mr Kinski on set of "Crawlspace". Kinski is however a very gifted actor and this film remains interesting solely by his very presence. Kinski is quoted as saying on the set "Don't yell cut. Why do directors always yell cut? You will stop when I am finished."
½ November 9, 2014
A very straightforward thriller with Klaus Kinski as a killer Nazi landlord.
It was enjoyable enough but then all of a sudden everyone is dead except the one girl who survives and saves the day.
It would have been nice to see him actually do all the murders but it had some fun scenes and Klaus was creepy.
It was produced by Charles Band so it helped make sense of the b-movie quality the movie gave off.
November 6, 2014
True Klaus Kinski is a great actor, but this film really does not do it justice, the leitmotif of the character has too many holes, if he enjoys killing their victims do not understand the final crashing and why leaves threatening all meticulously displayed and built to rush to destroy his empire control. This film had a lot to give but ultimately just leaves a bad taste.
October 18, 2014
July 16, 2014
David Schmoeller (Puppetmaster, Tourist Trap), did a good job writing and directing this flick. Not the best film, but it had its key moments of shock, suspense and etc. but this film failed to have what every horror movie needs... Scares! Yes, this movie is entertaining, but its not at all scary or frightening.
½ May 11, 2014
Crawlspace spins a yarn about an insane landlord (Klaus Kinski) who's keeping too much of a close eye on the female tenants in his apartment building... so much so that he's using hidden crawlspaces throughout the building to keep watch of every move that they make. The film was directed by David Schmoeller, there's a terrific score by the great Pino Donaggio and special makeup effects were done by John Carl Buechler. Klaus Kinski gives a chilling performance as a former Nazi obsessed with killing off his renters. I wouldn't consider Crawlspace so much a horror movie as I would a thriller. For the most part, there isn't a whole lot of hack and slash. The film feels almost claustrophobic in some ways and almost Wes Craven-ish in nature. I also got a Peeping Tom vibe from it, as well. It doesn't come off like a lot of thrillers and horror movies from around that timeframe, which makes it a little more interesting. It's a B movie, there's no two ways about it, but considering that the director had to work with the notoriously-difficult-to-work-with Kinski and got the film to come off as well as it did, is a feat in and of itself.
½ April 12, 2014
Klaus Kinski is the only reason to watch this film. Some inventive kills, but when it's characters you're not invested in, why bother?
March 11, 2014
I get the sense that they shot a great movie here and cut it into a confusing mess. Too bad.
January 24, 2014
Just Plain Boring @ Least 45mins Wasted On Him Just Watching Them Through The Crawlspace! Ending Was Average At Best To!
½ May 31, 2013
Worth it only for creepy klaus kinski.
½ May 13, 2013
A very kinky Kinski slithers around the crawlspace--Dr. Gunther! Your a very bad man!!
April 24, 2013
clackers, rats, and a creeper in a wall vent. it's whatever
½ February 15, 2013
I was really enjoying this movie and Kinski until the little twist we learn about his character makes it all very cliche by the end. Still, it's worth watching, Kinski plays a real psycho, and that's always entertaining, I think. It's a pretty good scary flick.
November 30, 2012

"I use'd to kill in the name of science, now I kill because I'm addicted to killing."-Dr. Karl Gunther (Klaus Kinski)

I'll watch anything this weirdo is in. Better then PEEPING TOM.

"So be it."-Gunther
½ October 27, 2012
A sicko former doctor (who practiced euthanasia) and current landlord who spies on his female tenants from the crawlspace of the house and occasionally kills them or their house guests. May cause you to think twice about renting.