Creature - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Creature Reviews

½ May 7, 2016
ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
March 23, 2016
Cheap, low-budget ripoff of "Alien" doesn't come close to being as good as the original. I'm certainly not above liking low-budget rip offs (I loved Roger Corman's "Star Wars" ripoff "Battle Beyond the Stars") but this film offers nothing outside of maybe throwing in some elements from "The Thing" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." The same special effects crew who worked on "Alien" apparently did this film, but you'd never know it based on how cheap the sets and special effects look here. If a low-budget film can't equal a big budget film's special effects (which can be done by clever filmmakers like Peter Jackson or George A. Romeo), you need to make up for it with story or characters and this film offers neither, outside of the crazed Klaus Kinski. However, maybe the special effects were decent and it was the fault of poor photography, though either way, this film does not have a quality look to it. In the film's favor, it does feature Kinski as a crazed German astronaut and features a regular of Joe Dante's stock company of actors, Wendy Schaal, who I always liked, but outside of that, this film is pretty dull.
February 4, 2016
This movie sucks. It has some great gore effects and Kinski going for it, but it's a big, fat turd of a movie, and I hated it.
December 6, 2015
A classic B horror film in my eyes. In terms of originality, It seems to mimic "Alien," but still has some great moments.
½ November 8, 2015
Rips mostly from "Alien" while referring "The Thing from Another World". It's basically what Alien would have looked like if Roger Corman had made it. The monster is cheap but cool, the characters are awful, and the plot jumps all over the place while avoiding the white seamless line. It's fun.
½ March 12, 2015
Think of the movie Alien and make it very, very shitty. This is such a big ripoff that it is disgusting. Suspense is null and the "creature" design is pointless. Please stay away.
November 8, 2014
well, they were obviously inspired by Alien but its as if this inspired Prometheus.
½ October 26, 2014
There are many clone movies of the original Alien and The Thing out there, but this is by far the best one. Classic 80's Sci-Fi Horror.
½ June 25, 2014
Cut-Rate Alien knock-off, if the crew never got off LV-426 and it starred Ferris Bueller's father and Francine from American Dad. It's sort of amazing it can crib fully wholesale from such a seminal film and still exist. And it does it so badly to boot!
½ June 24, 2014
I think it opened its eyes.

A crew of American scientists arrives on a distant planet to research some alien artifacts. Shortly after arriving, they discover a German ship. They head over to the ship and find it abandoned with nothing inside it but dead bodies. It doesn't take long for the being responsible for killing the Germans to target the Americans.

"What we found is great evil. It's using us for food."

William Malone, director of House on Haunted Hill (1999), Scared to Death (1980), Feardotcom, and Parasomnia, delivers Creature. The storyline for this picture was fairly poor and an obvious knock-off of Alien. The special effects and acting was also below average. The cast includes Stan Ivar, Wendy Schaal, Lyman Ward, Diane Salinger, Klaus Kinski, and Jim McKeny.

"We can only assume the team is dead."

I grabbed this off Netflix because I had seen the movie poster and VHS box in the video store a ton as a kid but never saw this film. I decided to give it a shot and determined this is nothing special. Unfortunately, the alien was nothing special, the special effects was nothing special, and the overall film, nothing special. I recommend skipping this picture.

"That stuff is going to rot your brain."

Grade: D
February 1, 2014
Can I make it through the rest of this? Ferris Bueller's dad is the captain.
December 21, 2013
Creature is an entertaining enough B-movie inspired by Alien and co-written and directed by William Malone who helmed the House On Haunted Hill remake and the recent Parasomnia. This was another flick I was fortunate enough to catch in a theater... where movies like this should be seen... when it came out. It was at the long gone Loews Harmon Cove in Seacaucus NJ, if memory serves and I remember my friends and I having a fun time with it. A recent re-visit shows it's still fun and has some nice added 80s nostalgia now too. The film takes place in a future where two rival corporations are heading into space to plunder the resources of other planets. As it opens, a ship from the NTI company has found a structure on the Saturn moon of Titan and in it, specimens of alien life... and find out the hard way that freeing one of those specimens, even by accident, is a fatally bad idea. Enter the crew of the NTI corporation ship Shenandoah, who are on their way to investigate the ruins found by the previous ill-fated crew. But, the Shenandoah lands on weak ground and crashes through beneath the surface, stranding the crew on the inhospitable moon. Upon investigating the site, they find an abandoned Richter Dynamics ship, a rival German company, and they find not only a ship filled with corpses but, a very nasty creature with the ability to manipulate it's victims with small symbiotic creatures. Now the crew must battle not only this vicious and intelligent space monster but, their own dead as well. Worse still, the German ship is their only hope of escape and their fierce and seemingly impervious adversary has made the craft it's lair. Malone directs Creature very competently and with a moderate pace. He has a nice visual style and while the film could have used a bit more intensity and suspense, it still entertains. The cast are all fine, no awards but, they try to give their thinly written characters a little life and it helps. Soap actor Stan Ivar plays ship captain and story hero Mike Davidson. Adorable Wendy Schaal makes a feisty heroine as crewman Beth Sladen who is also Davidson's girlfriend. Lyman Ward is the mission commander and corporate douche but, contrary to the stereotype, turns out to not be such a bad guy when the chips are down. Diane Salinger plays her security office Bryce as a woman of few words and a big gun but, gives her a bit of charm when the character's guard is down. Also adequate are supporting players Robert Jaffe, Marie Laurin and Annette McCarthy who try to give their characters some personality in limited roles with an extended cameo by Klaus Kinski as an eccentric survivor of the ill-fated German ship. While Malone guides his cast through what is an attempt at a somewhat serious sci-fi/ horror, there is plenty of gore and a splash of nudity courtesy of Miss Laurin that keeps this movie well within it's B-movie status. And speaking of the gore, the make-up FX are quite good and as this is a pre-CGI era film, our slimy villain is delightfully a man in a rubber suit that is equal parts Giger's Alien and raptor (and almost 10 years berfore Jurassic Park). The creature is kept in shadow and fog most of the time though, as are most of the sci-fi show level sets thus hiding their inadequacies and adding atmosphere. For a low budget flick the visual FX are pretty good and the fact that the production's heart is in the right place helps make this a very likable monster movie despite it's derivative story and creature. Sure, it has it's shortcomings, could be a bit more energetic and the pace could be a bit quicker but, it's a charming little movie with some nice gory action and some cute heroines with nostalgic 80s hairdos and I'd rather watch a B-movie with a director who really tries like this one, then a bloated mega-million CGI epic by a director on autopilot... *cough* Avatar *cough*. A charming and fun little movie for fans of 80s B-movies and horror/sci-fi before CGI.
½ August 18, 2013
If you really like Alien (1979) and have already see the movies which inspired it [It! The Terror from Beyond Space, 1958 and Planet of the Vampires (1965)] as well as those trying to cash in its success [Inseminoid, (1981) Forbidden World (1982) and Galaxy of Terror (1981)], then this may be worth your view. There is a bit of The Thing (1982) [based on The Thing from Another World (1951) which in turn was based on the 1930s novel "Who Goes There?"] thrown in for good measure. Decidedly low budget, the acting and direction demonstrated this for sure. Some good over-the-top horror scenes, but with no real suspense. There are few frights but the potential for such was much greater. Not a total waste of time, but there are similar, better movies to watch.
July 19, 2013
an alien that uses the reanimated corpses of your friends and lovers to lure its victims? cheesy fun with some decent gore and creature effects. unfortunately forgotten by most and not likely to see a remastered dvd release. a shame really, since there's lots of fun to be had.
½ April 28, 2013
alien knock off from the 80's so expect crap effects,acting and worse of all lights. seriously this film is dark not sure it was just the crap transfer I saw or not on netflicks.
it's at least funny though in a bad it's good lond of way and the German sole survivor is a legend!
½ January 16, 2013
At first I thought this might be so bad it was good, but the further along it went the more I realized it was just a bad amalgam of a variety of films of its ilk.
November 16, 2012
Another semi-entertaining Alien clone. This one loses big points for having sitcom quality camera work.
September 2, 2012
Best of the 'Alien' clones.
August 13, 2012
Proper 80's, Alien inspired, space horror. Poor performances, creature and sets ensure nostalgic fun for any 80's sci-fi fan.