The Damned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Damned Reviews

½ April 8, 2010
Just another ordinary nazi family.
½ April 8, 2010
La corrupción del poder, las miserías humanas..
½ March 21, 2010
Watching this back-to-back with "Salon Kitty" would be an interesting experience.
½ March 11, 2010
the movie that inspired the band's (the damned) name. starring dirk bogarde, ingrid thulin, and two dudes named helmut.
March 5, 2010

Pretty good. Originally entitled "The Fall of the Gods." A period piece set in Germany 1933-1934 during the first year or so of Hitler's Fascist Third Reich following a hostile takeover of the government by the Nazis. The Macbeth-style plot centers on a family of wealthy German steel, munitions manufacturers, whose senior members are vying for control of the business. As things heat up politically all around them, things get very personal within the family, rivalries deepen, and quickly become cut-throat. It is ultimately a winner-take-all situation with no room for compromise. The film captures the dark and dangerous tone of this ruthless struggle pretty well. As the business takes off up towards the pinnacle of its material success with the rise of the Nazis in their bid for global domination, the family is torn apart and falls to its lowest level morally and ethically. Some have suggested a veiled reference to the Krupp family in this story.

Features a studied look at the lofty upper echelon of early 20th century German society, its wealth and privileged lifestyle fostering a greedy and aberrant sense of entitlement. Period costumes and lavish set details. Plenty of deviant behavior to go around as family members indulge themselves and their corrupt vices. This is a highly dysfunctional group of people. Innocent individuals drawn into the fray are nothing but collateral damage. Violence within the context of the story is not unreasonable given what is known about the Nazis and their hard-line attitudes. Helmut Berger gives an interesting impersonation of Marlene Dietrich.
March 1, 2010
This was Fassbinder's favorite film, and the influence is apparent. Bright primary colors, homosexual content, heavy on melodrama, displays of decadence. And much like Fassbinder, I find Visconti hard to get into. His career is all over the map, from poor to mediocre to good, but never really wowing me. And so I always approach his movies with some hesitation, but try to keep an open mind. This one has its pluses and minuses. It does make striking use of color, the acting is generally not that bad (I'd have to say not that great either, though) and it eventually builds to a somewhat compelling, operatic tale of corruption under the Third Reich. But it does take some time to get going. The first part is dreadfully confusing, as characters keep referring to other characters that the audience isn't familiar enough with yet. Eventually it gets sorted out, but surely there's a better way to present all that information. And the film is often quite hysterical, and occasionally absurd. I guess the bottom line is that while I had some admiration for what Visconti was doing and how he was going about it, I didn't much want to be watching it. I kept vacillating between confused, impressed, bored, intrigued, and annoyed.
½ January 28, 2010
Very pretty movie to look at but the plot was a little complicated for me and I was a little bored sometimes. I'm sure many would love this film. I didn't. Beauty is never enough sometimes.
December 31, 2009
Helmut Berger is 5 stars however, of course.
November 22, 2009
Compelling and disturbing portrayal of greed and obsession under the context of National Socialism.
½ November 10, 2009
OK for the parts of Bogarde and Rampling but pretty standard Italian new wave aside of those performances. Not enough to carry 2 1/2 hours.
November 3, 2009
Extremely interesting film by Luchino Visconti. Though the film takes place during the rise of Nazis and Hitler, this is basically not really a film about Nazism, but evil and the need for power in general. There's a lot to take in with the plot, so it was a bit confusing at times, but it's wonderfully filmed and acted. Ingrid Thulin was perfect as the horrible wife and mother, Dirk Bogarde was excellent, and Helmut Berger, while over the top, was also perfect. The film gets better as it goes along, especially the final hour or so. With some disturbing images and a eerie score, this is a film that requires a few more viewings.
½ August 31, 2009
You know, I'm pretty sure all the fiery, glowing shots of the steelworks were a metaphor for something, but what? The plight of the giant panda? The urgent need for tort reform? Kittens? What?
½ July 17, 2009
I found this to be unwatchable (though I sat through a good hour and a half of it!). Visconti attempts to explore the decadence of the Nazis and fading grandeur of pre-Hitler German aristocrats. I felt he achieved great things in The Leopard, but his eye for tragedy is not transferable here. This is a memorably awful film.
July 9, 2009
Not the depth i was expecting, especially from the dialgue. Two stars for the production.
April 3, 2009
Now more a period piece than anything else. Rampling shines and the surreal scenes suit he noticable expressions right throughout. Perfectly casted and beautifully shot.
January 14, 2009
A Movie that Changes the face of the Bento
½ January 4, 2009
A classic drama for exploring decadence. Well done, but not outstanding...
December 26, 2008
Todo un clásico, pero no apta para todo publico.
Visualmente es hermosa, fría, rígida, sofisticada.
El como la ideología nazi afecta a una familia, las intrigas que se generan, los odios que se despiertan pero tal vez este ideología solo es la excusa para sacar lo mas perverso de nosotros mismos.
El casting es maravilloso y la escena donde sale Helmut Berger travestido de Marlene Dietrich es WOW!
½ December 2, 2008
Great. Extraordinary film experience. Though not too easy to watch.
November 16, 2008
Certainly not the best Visconti. Meticulous lights, costumes, hair makes & camera, as always, but the film is constructed around the beautiful young Helmut Berger. Many parts are surreal, especially the SA summer camp. Some will love the bathing boys though ...