The Day the Earth Stood Still - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day the Earth Stood Still Reviews

August 20, 2017
Michael Renne'...Yummy.
½ July 6, 2017
Good old-fashioned sci-fi classic from the 50s. There's something about these old sci-fi movies, maybe it's timeless message that they carry. Or maybe it's that they were done with great care and true emotion. Or maybe it's a combination of both.
This particular example is a very strong movie of its kind with eerie music by Bernard Herrman and nuanced direction. People back then did these movies impelled by the true feeling of dread of nuclear annihilation.
July 2, 2017
A classic sci-fi film that's slightly dated, but provides commentary that's still relevant to this day.
June 4, 2017
What a classic. 1951! Smarter than anything made for years.
March 16, 2017
Looks outdated because it was from the start, but the films topics are important even now.
March 15, 2017
With strong performances by Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal, The Day the Earth Stood Still is a classic science fiction movie that was well ahead of it's time - first for using science fiction to tell a story instead of having Martians attack the Earth (which was common in the movies even then) and for warning of the dangers and impact of nuclear war at such an early time. And Gort is a classic character even now.
March 13, 2017
A great movie...a classic
February 12, 2017
Great movie and message. Excellent cast. Love this Classic!
February 5, 2017
I thought I knew basically what this movie was about from cultural osmosis, because I've heard it referenced frequently. Sure enough the themes of this movie did little to surprise me. The movie feels like just another B-movie that could end up on MST3K, but the subject matter does a lot to elevate it above the dreck. It hits on some strong topics that were vitally important back in the 50s.

I thought Michael Rennie was good as Klaatu. He had an alien demeanor to him that was almost robotic, but there was also an underlying softness that took off some of the edge when he was interacting with other people. Child actors are often a struggle for me, but I enjoyed Bobby Benson. It's certainly in the golly-gee style of many 50s kid's performances, but it seemed to fit with this movie and his role in it.

I couldn't help laughing at a few of the ways life was different back then. For instance, when the Mom allows her son to spend the day with a stranger touring the city. Also, the police seemed entirely too laid back and relaxed when tensions were escalating. The nature of Klaatu's mission is a little odd when you actually think about it, but I got over it quickly because the message he delivers had significant relevance to the original viewers of this movie.

It's a film that I did enjoy to a point, but it didn't impress me in any significant way. It possibly suffered a bit because I literally saw it only a few hours before I went to see Arrival in the theater, and that movie has some similar themes but is more nuanced in the way those things are handled. I'd probably watch The Day the Earth Stood Still again if asked but it won't make my list of favorite science fiction films.
January 10, 2017
Great movie. Seen it many times. Light years better than the crappy remake. It's also a great history movie showing us in a simpler era.
January 7, 2017
this is a classic sci-fi movie
September 2, 2016
Robert Wise's sci-fi masterpiece is on the top of all politicans' must-see list.
½ July 11, 2016
Cheesy and a little overacted, with all the usual cliches, but all in all a nice movie
May 7, 2016
Terribly outdated. Very dull and almost unwatchable. It's not a worthy classic like people are saying. (First and only viewing - 5/6/2016)
April 17, 2016
One of the better sci-fi films from the fifties. Cleverly avoiding the awful special effects of other, similar efforts, and the screen presence of Michael Rennie is quite captivating.
½ April 12, 2016
Surprisingly solid. I had no idea what I was getting into, and was pleased. Good acting, decent effects... Now, it's on to the remake!!
March 25, 2016
SF klasika od 1951. Iako filmov e star 65 godini, izgleda mnogu svezo i napredno i od denesna gledna tocka. Cista petka!
½ February 28, 2016
''The Day the Earth Stood Still'' is one of the first ''big'', great science fiction movies ever to hit the big screen, it influenced almost every sci-fi to come, everyone knows the story because here is where the ''all-too-well-known Alien landing on earth'' plot has come from, it has been copied, parodied, adapted, etc, etc.
''The Day the Earth Stood Still'' is simply put a great science fiction movie and a great movie, it stood the test of time wholeheartedly, still thriving with energy and full of entertainment, it also brings a powerful and important message across still relevant to this day.

''The Day the Earth Stood Still'' may be simple and tame at times, but viewing it as if you were there in 1951 watching a picture like this for the first time in a cinema, shows how far ahead of its time it was, and viewing it from today's standpoint show how incredibly influential and relevant this movie still is.
February 16, 2016
Flying saucers with no landing gear are not a likely form of planet to planet travel.
January 23, 2016
A slow burn that may not work for someone used to the pace of modern features, but rewarding for those with patience. The story of Klaatu's time on Earth and the message he brings holds up well even 65 years after it was first delivered.