The Day the Earth Stood Still Reviews

• Sep 02, 2022

Powerful, Thought Provoking and an All Time Classic. I was amazed how incredibly well done the special effects were here. They hold up incredibly well. The acting was phenomenal along with very engaging and well done dialogue and fleshed out characters. The music score is iconic and extremely memorable and well done. the cinematography is extremely well done also. The movie is leisurely paced but never feeling too slow or too much exposition. The plot is very simple but given so much depth thanks to the symbolism and very heartfelt interactions throughout the film. An All Time Classic.

• Jun 12, 2022

excellent sci fi - classic

excellent sci fi - classic

• Jun 11, 2022

Visitor from another planet comes to earth with a message of peace and goodwill. He is promptly shot, confined and persecuted. Sound familiar? A classic. Gort's first appearance coupled with that ominous, unforgettable score by Bernard Herrmman still gives me chills even though I've seen it a hundred times. More poignant now then when it was made. Great story, well acted, impressive special effects for the period (can you even find the seam in the ship?), some corny kid dialogue but it still lays our modern day insecurities and fears so out in the open that we should still feel chastised by Klaatu's closing speech; one of the greatest in cinema. Directed by the great Robert Wise. I won't reveal details. You just have to see it.

• Apr 28, 2022

It's a classic. Very enjoyable on many levels.

It's a classic. Very enjoyable on many levels.

• Apr 16, 2022

1951 ! "Pacifist" Space Aliens come to earth in Flying Saucer, with Big clunky Robot, to threaten and warn "stupid" Earthlings not to war, and the nation that acts aggressively is really gonna get it from the Extraterrestrials. Got sky high almost perfect RT ratings from both Pro Critics side & Audience reviews. Apparently they thot the "COLD WAR" with USA versus Communist Russia & China was 'really stupid'. Uh huh. But, I'd give it 3 1/2 RT stars out of 5. MICHAEL RENNIE, & young PATRICIA NEAL star. Also STUART WHITMAN. Saw again, on tv 4.15.2022 on The MOVIES Channel.

• Feb 07, 2022

A great early Science-Fiction film. Most in the 50's were cheesy but this one is extremely intelligent.

• Jan 22, 2022

Just watched it for the umpteenth time; still fantastic! I saw it as a little boy and always remembered it. It holds up very well. The remake totally sucks. So watch this version. Even if you're not a scifi buff, the acting will probably win you over.

• Dec 15, 2021

Way better than the remake.

Way better than the remake.

• Sep 29, 2021

A story about the arrival of an advanced being from another planet on Earth and the reactions of humans. Has a great premise that creates a lens to critique our divisions but without sufficient nuance or final execution. A solid film that's good for people who are fans of early sci-fi.

• Sep 02, 2021

The nuclear paranoia from the era now looks quaint and this wet, family, peace preaching sermon of a film should really infuriate for its ridiculous naivety. However, the plot though simple, is entertaining enough and there's something charming about it. The special effects are comical and the idea that the alien is basically a human is hilarious.