Dead End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead End Reviews

February 12, 2016
Interesting in that this was filmed on one soundstage. Depression era juvenile delinquent NYC drama. Leave it within the context of its time and it is a decent film.
January 20, 2016
A heart wrenching performance by Sylvia Sidney. Bogart great as always. A must see film.
January 14, 2016
another lost review from flixter!
May 7, 2015
Great film depicting life in the slums of New York City in the 1930's. Strong performances from Humphrey Bogart..Sylvia Sidney and an early turn by Claire Trevor as Francie. The Bowery Boys/Dead End Kids/East Side Kids are as always entertaining to watch. An often overlooked gem.
May 28, 2014
One of my favorite movies!!!
½ May 3, 2014
Humphrey Bogart is great as Baby Face Martin and Joel McCrea as the good guy (Joel McCrea is one of my favorites). Story is one of the haves and the have nots in New York City in the early 1930's. Good but a bit boring. The Dead End kids do a good job as young men in the slums destined for nothing but jail or death.
October 8, 2012
Bogart is Bogart so worth watching just for that. The boys are a bit over the top but the story is a good one.
½ July 24, 2012
A suspenseful and dark story about a few no-goodnicks, coming back home and interacting with a New York neighborhood through one day and one night. It shows how big of an influence a place where one grows up has on a kid's mind and manners. Bogart as a hard gangster is proper as always, McRea shines as a dreamer, who wants to escape the harsh reality, and Sylvia Sidney is great as the overprotective sister.
½ June 30, 2012
Title refers to an area of what I believe is New York City where there the poor really have no way moving up in class in life. They include a group of hopeless kids who only succeed through acts of hurting others. One situation of cruelty occurs when a rich kid is lured into a warehouse, severely beaten and robbed and then his father is stabbed by one of the delinquents when they try and arrest. There are further complications with the adults who hang around there, including a criminal (Humphrey Bogart), who finally loses it toward the middle part of the film with another, kinder individual (Joel McCrea). It has nice photography and direction, but it is just not all that memorable for me. The acting is okay by the grownups, but the kids can get really annoying after awhile. Like "Dodsworth," this ranks among William Wyler's decent films. His best ones start with "Wuthering Heights" in 1939.
February 17, 2012
The beautiful cinematography and a few nice performances (especially Bogart and Trevor) make up for the film's lack of narrative structure.
December 10, 2011
Great film from legendary filmmaker William Wyler. Bogart plays a hoodlum visiting his old neighborhood. He has recently been having nostalgia, so after ten years away he wants to see his mother and old girlfriend. He may not like what he finds. Having a price on his head does not make things easier. Recommended for all who like old time cinema.
September 2, 2011
this is a classic story of poor vs rich and the adage that crime does not pay. The performances of the kids in the gang are absolutely stellar and carry this movie strongly. It was an enjoyable movie to watch and definitely worth seeing. While Bogart's character is in and out of the whole movie, it is definitely a lesser role and more of a backdrop upon which the rest of the story is told.
August 17, 2011
Had a sudden sunday craving for watching a random old movie, so ended up watching this flick on Netflix Instant. Not bad!
August 17, 2011
Classic 1930s story about kids in a slum who seem destined to become future gangsters. Great setting, and great acting by Sylvia Sidney, Joel McCrea, and Humphrey Bogart.
July 26, 2011
If anyone can be in a bigger role than Humphrey Bogart, they must be great.
½ February 17, 2011
A Samuel Goldwyn classic!
½ November 13, 2010
Old classic, but very good, Marjorie Main played Humphery Borgarts's mother a totaly different role than she played in the Ma & Pa Kettle movies, I wouldn't have Recognized her if I didn't know she was part of the cast and her voice. Also for those old enough to remember many of the dead end kids were in it.
½ November 12, 2010
Had a great style of story telling and looks beautiful, but some of the lines just make the power of the film dull out. Bogie did great, as usual. When he sees the woman he wants to marry we feel the passion and the need to have her, but the moment he finds out she is a prostitute is shattering. It was brilliantly placed right after he was disowned by his mother. The parallel storytelling with him and the kids was great. I just feel like they should have paid more attention to the emotions behind them rather than look at them so objectively. The scene where they beat up the rich kid should have been sad, but I was surprisingly unmoved. The story of the boy's sister was great, but I feel like her relationship with the architect was random. He was a great character to have to show the connection to Bogie's childhood, but I don't think they went the right way with him. The movie is shot by the same person who did Citizen Kane. The lighting is beautiful, but the camera placement is pretty unspectacular. He needed Welles to show him how to break the rules and make something fully beautiful. Overall I think that Dead End was ok, but there were definitely some things that needed to be changed to make it great.
½ August 30, 2010
immensely enjoyable, charming 30s flick. the street kids were an adorable bunch, 'specially angel.