Dead of Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead of Night Reviews

April 25, 2014
A great atmospheric movie that's chilling and scary. Highly Recommended
December 19, 2013
A classic anthology of ghastly tales of misfortune and unexplained events, a bit zany in the middle but a horror must.
November 22, 2013
Fantastic classic narrative anthology of several paranormal stories that have not lost their edge even 70 years later. An archetype of horror stories.
½ October 30, 2013
This classic horror anthology has a decent enough collection of stories to please genre fans. My personal favorite involves a ventriloquist & a his toy dummy that may or may not be alive ???
½ October 12, 2013
The story arc and structure is brilliant, and it has a fantastic ending, but the film suffers from being a little too long, with several pieces of the anthology being pretty underwhelming and dull. That said, it is still a solid anthology and clearly very influential on the horror genre.
October 11, 2013
Interesting and sometimes amusing collection of short vignettes of a ghostly nature, each told by a gathering of strangers that keep reappearing in one of the men's dreams. Clever story, sort of like an old fashioned tales of the unexpected. Good film.
½ September 10, 2013
Absolutely marvellous British horror anthology film. There are some truly creepy bits and it's very atmospheric and sometimes laugh out loud funny.
July 14, 2013
An excellent film that needs a serious remaster and Blu Ray release. It plays with the viewer - sometimes a little scary others funny, almost silly..but can then turn around and be very disturbing. just like a nightmare. A true classic that shows good writing and acting beats a big budget anytime.
June 17, 2013
I was enthralled with this movie not knowing what to expect. The many twists at the end chilled me to the bone. I was thinking I was watching an episode of 'The Twilight Zone', and was pleasantly surprised to find out that this movie (1945) preceded the TV show, and most likely inspired it!
April 12, 2013
Solid anthology film that holds up pretty well. There are elements of its time such as a lack of subtlety in the dialogue and lots of melodrama but it equals some of the best Twilight Zone episodes. It also has a fantasticly creepy ending that takes the film above and beyond most horror films and makes it all worthwhile.
½ January 14, 2013
from Flixster's synopsis, "...the greatest horror anthology film..." If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I'd be inclined to scoff, particularly with story lines being meted out to multiple directors. But the praise is definitely merited. I'd have much rather seen it with Basil Dearden directing throughout, as the closing scenes of the film have cinematography and suspense that is (and hear this loudly) on par with the best work of Alfred Hitchcock. (Re-read that last bit again, if need be.)

Now, if you've not already seen it, consider yourself being taken to school AND GO WATCH THIS FILM.

[ROLL CREDITS]
½ January 6, 2013
Fascinating tale of a meeting between a number of individuals who tell stories with strange details. The first story revolves around a man who has nightmares that become a reality. The second of a man who can't see his wife in a mirror. The third story is of man who talks to a ghost of man in public who played golf with him and killed himself during a round. Finally, a story of a ventriloquist who has very detailed conversations with his puppet, on for which that is capable of murder. All tales are really interesting and well filmed, the script and cast are both quirky and entertaining, a really good combination. The United Kingdom delivered some fine mysteries during this era, and this along, with another 1945 film "And Then There Were None" rank most likely among the best.
½ December 22, 2012
The last segment is brilliant & MUST BE SEEN
½ December 9, 2012
A mild horror film containing five stories. The ventriloquist story was best and weird.
December 2, 2012
Fantastic, way ahead of its time and hugely influential.........if only they'd deleted the golf scene!
½ November 28, 2012
With an intriguing and somewhat terrifying set of stories which are all different and really good in their own way this is a movie that was way ahead of its time. The finale is awesome, it is well acted and I found the special effects to be impressive for a movie that came out so long ago.
October 31, 2012
Saw this Terrific horror film on Halloween on at the BFI
October 31, 2012
Saw this Terrific horror film on Halloween on at the BFI
½ October 24, 2012
One of the first and one of the best anthology films.
October 14, 2012
A supernatural anthology with a wraparound story that actually is a sum of its parts. The best two segments include a mirror that reflects a room where a murder was committed and a ventriloquist with a malevolent dummy. This is a spooky classic with one of the freakiest finishes I've ever seen. I must have watched the final nightmare sequence four or five times because I couldn't get over how strange it was.
If you want to watch an effects-laden or gory horror movie, do not watch this. This is all about mystery, mood and atmosphere.