Dead Reckoning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Reckoning Reviews

November 15, 2016
Film noir with GI, Captain Rip Murdoch attempting to help friend and war time partner Johnny Drake.
½ June 11, 2016
This isn't one of the better know Humphrey Bogart films, but it's a good little film-noir and I enjoyed it. Bogart is great as usual and Lizabeth Scott is decentt. If you like film-noir or Bogart, give it a try.
½ May 29, 2016
If you love Bogart and film noir, you must see 'Dead Reckoning'. The dialogue is memorable and Bogie delivers as usual. Lizabeth Scott is no Bacall, but her performance doesn't hurt the movie too much - Enjoyed it!
November 16, 2014
A good film noir movie even a few words borrowed from The Maltese Falcon Liz Scott plays a good Femme Fataile
July 22, 2014
Now, obviously, I love both film noir and Humphrey Bogart; but this particular film is not the best example of either. Stylistically, I liked certain things about it, such as the way Bogart's face is hidden in shadow during his long confession to a priest during the first hour of the movie. And Bogart's performance is very good, as always. However, this movie's plot is, after a certain point, incomprehensible, even by noir standards. Trying to keep track of everyone's motivations is impossible by the end of the film. Part of the problem is that the movie is overloaded with expository dialogue - it's guilty of the old sin of telling, not showing. Lizabeth Scott makes for an good femme fatale; she's got an odd, slightly affected way of speaking that makes her performance, if not great, at least interesting. It's got the basic ingredients of a good noir movie, but it rushes through too much information too fast for the viewer to really process or, ultimately, care that much about. I would not recommend starting one's film noir viewing here.
½ July 19, 2014
I don't trust anyone, especially women.

While sitting in a confessional booth, Captain Rip Murdock tells the tale of him and his best friend, Johnny Drake, on their way to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. On their way, Johnny hops off the train and Rip pursues him. It quickly becomes apparent he's in trouble and a strange girl and gangster appear involved. Rip will investigate the whereabouts of his missing friend.

"You've got that look in your eyes."
"I've got that look in my eyes?"
"If you do, keep it there."

John Cromwell, director of Of Human Bondage, The Racket, A Matter of Morals, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Scavengers, Since you Went Away, and Made for Each Other, delivers Dead Reckoning. The storyline for this film is very methodical and slow at times but comes together wonderfully. The script is brilliant as is the dynamic between the two main characters. The acting is perfect and the cast includes Humphrey Bogart, Lizabeth Scott, William Prince, and Charles Cane.

"Where have we met?"
"In another guy's dream."

I grabbed this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it starred the legend Humphrey Bogart. While Bogart wasn't a gangster in this movie, he delivered his lines gritty and very pointed that he always came across like "I'm smarter than you." I loved it. I didn't love every second of the film, and did feel the pace was uneven at times, but I will say this was very good and I scored this a 9 because I loved the ending. This is a must see for sure.

"Maybe she was alright."
"Maybe Christmas comes in July."

Grade: A-
½ July 12, 2014
It's a typical Bogart movie and it's good. However, it doesn't seem to have the magic of Bogarts over films of this era.
½ November 27, 2013
IN PROGRESS Lizabeth Scott is a Bacall lookalie with a husky voice. Krause the thug.
November 18, 2013
a good noir bogie+ scott= real sizzle
October 11, 2013
Great movie. Fantastic dialog.

You know, the trouble with women is they ask too many questions. They should spend all their time just being beautiful.
½ January 27, 2013
Postwar Bogart in a Derivative Yet Gripping Film Noir--Femme Fatale!!
January 1, 2013
I'm starting to feel the fun to be had with these old Noir films, especially since I returned to the genre recently with Out Of The Past. Dead Reckoning doesn't match up to that film - the pacing is clumsy and I never truly bought into the characters, apart from Bogart - but it's entertaining enough with perhaps a beer and pizza on a Saturday night-in. Bogart is very watchable but I'm keen to see better films of his.
December 29, 2012
The usual sexual tension and charismatic performance by Bogart is lost in a not so original plot and a brute direction that makes the seemingly simple plot confusing and contorted.
September 1, 2012
A bleak noir thriller with a good performance from Bogart and a surprisingly dark ending.
½ July 26, 2012
While its atmosphere and acting are incredibly proper for a noir film, the storyline tries too much and in the end fails because of its overcomplexity. While it starts with a fine and thrilling twist, the turn of events builds up to a conclusion that's less than satisfying. However, as any decent mystery thriller should, it has a proper amount of murders, romance, blackmailing, deceit, and fear. And Humphrey Bogart is a perfectly adequate as the anti-hero macho in all of this chaos. Note: watch out for Lauren Bacall's appearance.
June 24, 2012
In this film noir starring Humphrey Bogart, he plays a paratrooper in which he and his colleague/friend (William Prince) are given an unusual assignment to travel to the U.S. capital for irregular duties. Unfortunately, one night, his colleague vanishes and he soon learns that he was killed in a car wreck, which may have been as a result of a murder. Bogart than tries to get to the bottom of this tragedy, for which he dives down into the underworld of gambling, blackmail, and a mysterious woman (Lizabeth Scott). Minor, but compelling movie to which is always watchable and suspenseful, even if it doesn't rank among Bogart's finest. Scott's performance is adequate, even though other critics have slammed it due to it being a poorer imitation of Lauren Bacall's (Bogart's wife) performance in movie with him at around the same time. I found it enjoyable.
½ June 9, 2012
"Dead Reckoning", un clasico del cine noir, es otra evidencia de la excelencia actoral de Humphrey Bogart, quizas el mejor actor de cine que jamas haya existido. Los amantes del genero se deleitaran, con traiciones, una mujer fatal y villanos elegantes y brutales. Esta es una cinta que, como el vino, mejora con la edad.
February 29, 2012
Plodding noir notable for Bogart's voice over narration. Lizabeth Scott's performance is particularly weak.
January 29, 2012
Greatest Femmes Fatales in Classic Film Noir
January 12, 2012
More of the same but in a good way. References other Bogart Noirs, wonder how this was received at the time of its release.