Dead Reckoning Reviews

• 3d ago

I'm a big fan of Bogie..but this movie didn't do it so much for me...

I'm a big fan of Bogie..but this movie didn't do it so much for me...

• Jul 03, 2019

Humphrey Bogart is spellbinding in this super film noir. He has a fantastic script to deal with and this is certainly one of his best performances. Some of the rest of the cast lack a little something (especially the leading lady) but don't let that detract from this stunning film.

• Apr 16, 2019

Tough movie and a decent noir; it couldn't have been otherwise having Humphrey Bogart and the beauty Lizabeth Scott in the leads. The movie is very downbeat and pessimistic, but true fans of noir style will appreciate it all right. There were many attempts to recreate the atmosphere of the noirs from the 40's, while actually you can just watch one for yourself. The movie is full of untrustworthy personas; in fact, you can't trust anyone, and it's a pretty hard situation, only Bogart's cynicism can deal with it.

• Nov 15, 2016

Film noir with GI, Captain Rip Murdoch attempting to help friend and war time partner Johnny Drake.

• Jun 11, 2016

This isn't one of the better know Humphrey Bogart films, but it's a good little film-noir and I enjoyed it. Bogart is great as usual and Lizabeth Scott is decentt. If you like film-noir or Bogart, give it a try.

• May 29, 2016

If you love Bogart and film noir, you must see 'Dead Reckoning'. The dialogue is memorable and Bogie delivers as usual. Lizabeth Scott is no Bacall, but her performance doesn't hurt the movie too much - Enjoyed it!

• Nov 16, 2014

A good film noir movie even a few words borrowed from The Maltese Falcon Liz Scott plays a good Femme Fataile

• Jul 22, 2014

Now, obviously, I love both film noir and Humphrey Bogart; but this particular film is not the best example of either. Stylistically, I liked certain things about it, such as the way Bogart's face is hidden in shadow during his long confession to a priest during the first hour of the movie. And Bogart's performance is very good, as always. However, this movie's plot is, after a certain point, incomprehensible, even by noir standards. Trying to keep track of everyone's motivations is impossible by the end of the film. Part of the problem is that the movie is overloaded with expository dialogue - it's guilty of the old sin of telling, not showing. Lizabeth Scott makes for an good femme fatale; she's got an odd, slightly affected way of speaking that makes her performance, if not great, at least interesting. It's got the basic ingredients of a good noir movie, but it rushes through too much information too fast for the viewer to really process or, ultimately, care that much about. I would not recommend starting one's film noir viewing here.

• Jul 19, 2014

I don't trust anyone, especially women. While sitting in a confessional booth, Captain Rip Murdock tells the tale of him and his best friend, Johnny Drake, on their way to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. On their way, Johnny hops off the train and Rip pursues him. It quickly becomes apparent he's in trouble and a strange girl and gangster appear involved. Rip will investigate the whereabouts of his missing friend. "You've got that look in your eyes." "I've got that look in my eyes?" "If you do, keep it there." John Cromwell, director of Of Human Bondage, The Racket, A Matter of Morals, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Scavengers, Since you Went Away, and Made for Each Other, delivers Dead Reckoning. The storyline for this film is very methodical and slow at times but comes together wonderfully. The script is brilliant as is the dynamic between the two main characters. The acting is perfect and the cast includes Humphrey Bogart, Lizabeth Scott, William Prince, and Charles Cane. "Where have we met?" "In another guy's dream." I grabbed this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it starred the legend Humphrey Bogart. While Bogart wasn't a gangster in this movie, he delivered his lines gritty and very pointed that he always came across like "I'm smarter than you." I loved it. I didn't love every second of the film, and did feel the pace was uneven at times, but I will say this was very good and I scored this a 9 because I loved the ending. This is a must see for sure. "Maybe she was alright." "Maybe Christmas comes in July." Grade: A-

• Jul 12, 2014

It's a typical Bogart movie and it's good. However, it doesn't seem to have the magic of Bogarts over films of this era.