Death of a Salesman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Death of a Salesman Reviews

½ November 18, 2015
Fiery performance by Hoffman, weaker than most of what he's done though.
July 28, 2015
Wow. Incredible performances and story. Would be great to see this on Broadway.
March 5, 2015
Such a true classic film.
½ July 3, 2014
"Will you let me go, for Christ's sake? Will you take that phony dream and burn it before something happens?"

Death of a Salesman is a deeply emotional look into the life of a man who's dreams are the money and legacy he will leave behind. Dustin Hoffman's profound performance perfectly displays Willy- a man trapped by his own life. Arthur Miller's script is haunting and Scholondorff's directing makes this "filmed play" stand-out solid. This tragic story will make you think, and I'm overjoyed to live a life of faith.
½ January 16, 2014
While the budget can be painfully obvious at times, the performances remain true to the play's characters and emotions.
½ October 8, 2013
I watched this film as a study in one of my English classes and I'll say this. As far as captivating the play/book well, it did it's job fantastically. It definitely presented all the themes well and is a great movie to watch for an English class. It's a classic telling of the American Dream lost. However, I'm not a fan of John Malkovich generally so I didn't enjoy his being the selection to play Biff. I really don't feel like he was the best person for the part despite the convincing performance given. Dustin Hoffman and Kate Reid however were brilliant. It's not a movie I'd watch leisurely but if you want to look into the whole American Dream premise or study it, it's a great choice.
August 6, 2013
American classic l... was forced to watch it back when i was in HS but it was a much needed lesson
½ July 12, 2013
Kind of cheesy and over acted but still some great performances and a great story.
July 9, 2013
indelible themes work, supported by strong performances.
½ July 6, 2013
Excellent acting, screenplay.
July 4, 2013
Great performances aside, it's still a play. Therefore, it involves four people talking in a room. Whether you enjoy it or not depends on your definition of cinema.
½ June 16, 2013
Instead of taking a famous play and making it into it's own movie, this version basically was like watching a play. The sets all look cheap and fake, some even are missing roofs and walls to remind you this isn't a real movie. Everyone seems to scream and yell every few minutes like they are stage acting. The score is very corny. The backgrounds are almost always fake. All this just took me out of the film.

Not to mention it's roughly 136 minutes of pure talking, or yelling, and it just went on for ages for me.

Hoffman can be good at times, but then he goes on these old man scream fests and it just gets old after awhile. Like watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where everyone is always fighting.

It did have a nice cast, but like I've said, the production really hurt this film for me.
May 23, 2013
Malkovich was good as was Hoffman but the fact that on the close-ups you could see the fake eyebrows threw me off. Very strong climax but could have been 30 to 40 min shorter. Too many monologues to really hold my interest.
½ May 3, 2013
Too pretentious for its own good. The characters are flimsy tools for us to hate, a potentially artful characteristic that is destroyed by feeble attempts for us to sympathize with them. Additionally, Hoffman's portrayal leaves a lot to be desired.
February 17, 2013
This is a spectacular movie! Excellent adaptation from "Death of a Salesman" by Arthur Miller! I love both the book and the movie!
February 16, 2013
Hate Arthur Miller's plays with a passion so I'm not chancing this film.
½ January 10, 2013
whoof, that's called some performances. take some bows hoffman & malkovic!
January 6, 2013
??? ??? ??? ?? ???????? ???? ? ?????? ??????? ???????? ????????. ??????????? ?????? ??????.
December 9, 2012
Arthur Miller's intense and poignant story comes alive in this screen adaptation with amazing performances from Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich.
November 3, 2012
A masterpiece. Top-notch acting by Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich. The fact that this is a made-for-TV production should not diminish its value. It was made with participation of the playwright himself. It should be noted, though, that this is a filmed play where most of the scenes take place in one location and thus it might be boring for those who used to standard movies with changing scenery. I watched it after seeing a theatrical production of this play a week before and enjoyed it tremendously.